New Gaming Mouse

Leykis

Limp Gawd
Anyone have opinions on the Razer Naga Hex or Genius Gila gaming mice? I currently use the Logitech G5 and need a mouse with more buttons. I've tried the G600 and didn't like the button layout on the side. Too many buttons and too small for my thumb. I like how the layout looks on the Naga Hex and 6 buttons on the side is more than plenty. Only thing I don't like about the Hex is the glossy finish...would prefer a matte finish.

Also seen good reviews for the Genius Gila and the specs for it are much better than the Hex....but I've never heard of Genius making mice before and unsure about the brand. Any thoughts on either mice?

I have the Hex, it's ok. I only use the back 3 side buttons as the other 3 are annoying to hit because the side curves in and my thumb isn't as big as my dick. I also tend to pick it up off my desk a little bit because it is light. This makes tracking on it go all over the place, I just have to be careful.

Those are my only 2 complaints with it.

Edit: 3 complaints, you have to register on their site to use their shitty software.

I've got the hex, even though it's a little overpriced I'm still satisfied with it since I couldn't find anything that rivaled it's perfect balance between quantity and distinctness of buttons.
6 buttons on the side and 2 extra on top seem perfect, I switched out the functions of the two top buttons and the hex1 and hex2 buttons though because that's what I preferred for browsing.

I don't even play that much games where you have lots of skills, but for me it's great for shooters also, for CS I've bound my knife and 5 different grenades to the thumb buttons for example, really useful. I'm not super nitpicky when it comes to mouse accuracy, but I think it's just as accurate and responsive as any high quality mouse I've tried.

It's most hated flaw is that the cursor moves a little bit to the down right when you lift it off a surface and place it back on again, it's there, but I use a pretty normal sensitivity with a large mouse pad, so I basically never lift it so it's not too much trouble for me. If you are a person who lifts his mouse up a lot this might be a problem.

It's a pretty small mouse though, my fingers are slightly shorter than average for a male and it's not a problem for me at all, but if your hands are pretty big that might be a problem.

Build quality seemed superb, dropped it a few times and still works great, but after about a year the scrollwheel doesn't always register that it's pressed down (scrolling up/down works fine though), but I think that's just an issue with my model only.

The software has enough functionality, but you need to register to use it and it feels a bit slow/bulky to use.

Have the naga and love it. I only use about 6 of the side-keypad keys due to the way my thumb bends, but its amazing, and the Synapse software that comes with it is so much better now, and has some great macro use. If you can get a good deal on a naga I'd really suggest it

I just switched over to the Corsair M65 and I love it. I use that sniper button for more than just Battlefield! I had been considering the Mad Catz Rat 9 but my GF was afraid of it. I also don't do a lot of MMO so the number of buttons is right on par for what I need. Especially on the Corsair double sided gaming pad it makes my life so much easier. I worry that I'm becoming a Corsair fanboy...

i use the corsair M90 and even the high amount of button on the side..all are very easy to use and hit without any problem.. also its so so comfortable in the hand..

Just got this mouse & I'm liking it a lot. FUNC MS-3 gaming mouse. http://www.acousticpc.com/func_ms-3-gaming-mouse.html These guys shipped it to me next day. You can rest all your fingers on it, so the grip is different than you're used to. The mouse tracks very good, but I still haven't totally fine tuned all the settings & adjustments you can make. I'm getting used to the different grip though & it's feeling more comfortable.

i use the corsair M90 and even the high amount of button on the side..all are very easy to use and hit without any problem.. also its so so comfortable in the hand..

I second this. The M90 is the best feeling mouse I've used yet. Additionally, it has amazing build quality and can usually be found for under $60.

I second this. The M90 is the best feeling mouse I've used yet. Additionally, it has amazing build quality and can usually be found for under $60.

i found in a super cheap offer for 45$ just a killing price.. I love the M90.

Decided to pass on the Naga Hex. I've read too many reviews and user comments about how the mouse is light weight and I don't like that in a mouse.

I picked up the Genius Gila and have been messing around with it the last few days. The mouse is comfortable, button lay-out is great and I can add weights to it. I like the feel of the mouse with the rubberized sides and matte finish on top....but I'll probably be returning it. The scroll wheel is not very good. Part of the problem is the design...they put this smooth plastic strip in the center of the wheel....this was for lighting purposes only as you can customize the color of the LED. Problem being, this smooth surface doesn't provide grip when you go to scroll with your finger. Sure, the sides of the wheel are rubberized but the middle plastic strip is slightly raised which causes your finger to slip when scrolling. It doesn't happen all the time and I've been trying to get used to it because I love everything else about the mouse but I can't have a crappy scroll wheel.

So, next mouse I'm going to try is the MadCatz Cyborg MMO 7. Got it on sale and have heard mixed reviews on it....but I really like the customization it offers, so we'll see. If it doesn't work out I'll probably settle on the G700. I had that mouse a while back but wasn't a big fan of the sand paper finish. I'm all for a mouse with a matte finish but I did not like the feel of the G700. It appears they improved on that with the 700s?

So, next mouse I'm going to try is the MadCatz Cyborg MMO 7. Got it on sale and have heard mixed reviews on it....but I really like the customization it offers, so we'll see. If it doesn't work out I'll probably settle on the G700. I had that mouse a while back but wasn't a big fan of the sand paper finish. I'm all for a mouse with a matte finish but I did not like the feel of the G700. It appears they improved on that with the 700s?

i've tested couple of days the Cyborg MMO7 and.. well.. i just.. do not like that mouse.. i think its more a fashioned mouse than a really utility gaming mouse... its nice that you can adjust the length of the mouse.. but no matter the possition you select, the button or the side are just useless you can only press comfortably 3 side buttons, just a mess with the buttons,you have to keep changing your hand positions to press the buttons, specially theside wich are too back almost on the palm .. way better you have the steelseries cataclysm.. or i have to say again.. Corsair M90..

i've tested couple of days the Cyborg MMO7 and.. well.. i just.. do not like that mouse.. i think its more a fashioned mouse than a really utility gaming mouse... its nice that you can adjust the length of the mouse.. but no matter the possition you select, the button or the side are just useless you can only press comfortably 3 side buttons, just a mess with the buttons,you have to keep changing your hand positions to press the buttons, specially theside wich are too back almost on the palm .. way better you have the steelseries cataclysm.. or i have to say again.. Corsair M90..

I just received the mouse today and have been playing with it for the last hour or so. I'm impressed with the customization of this mouse. I like the button lay-out and didn't find myself having to re-adjust my hand to reach the back ones on the side. You do realize you can move that whole side forward or backwards with the tool they included? I moved mine all the way forward because out of the box it was set all the way back....and in that position it was a problem to press those rear buttons.

I like the feel of the mouse even though it is slightly wider than mice I've used in the past, including the Logitech G5. It's also shorter in height. It will definitely take some time getting adjusted to. The scroll wheel is much better than the Gila, heck its even better than the G5....and I even like the little d-pad button they have on the side.

The software is also great. I like how I can create a profile for all my games and I can map out each of the buttons to whatever key I want or even setup macros. You can even rename each button in the profile. They have this feature called ActionLock but I disabled it. I guess its good for FPS games and I only play MMO's and RPG's.

I'll give it a week but I'm liking it so far....

nice to know.. well i had tested from a friend for a couple of days and not took all the time to test all the features maybe.. nice to know you liked it... i loved it too the look of that mouse..

Just got this mouse & I'm liking it a lot. FUNC MS-3 gaming mouse. http://www.acousticpc.com/func_ms-3-gaming-mouse.html These guys shipped it to me next day. You can rest all your fingers on it, so the grip is different than you're used to. The mouse tracks very good, but I still haven't totally fine tuned all the settings & adjustments you can make. I'm getting used to the different grip though & it's feeling more comfortable.

"Ring finger right click" master race checking in ... I was excited by this mouse until I noticed that you're supposed to use your middle finger to right click. An old 3-button Logitech mouse got me in the habit of using my ring finger to right click and I've never looked back. This basically gives me an extra mappable finger on my dominant hand.

My middle finger is solely for the scroll wheel. I think Logitech has the most options available (scroll up/down, tilt left/right, and scroll wheel click). I may go back to a G700 from my Razer Mamba 2012 just to get the left/right tilt functionality back.

Before I decide on keeping the Cyborg I'm gonna try the Corsair M95. Just ordered it today. Heard good things about it.

Before I decide on keeping the Cyborg I'm gonna try the Corsair M95. Just ordered it today. Heard good things about it.

Post your thoughts on it. Been thinking about trying it out. Trying to find something to ditch my Naga Hex for.

Post your thoughts on it. Been thinking about trying it out. Trying to find something to ditch my Naga Hex for.

Well I received it yesterday afternoon and I've been spending time gaming with it last night and this morning. Just so you know, I'm a palm gripper and I'm giving my impressions based on how the mouse feels with that type of grip. The mouse is pretty solid -- I like the build the quality. The aluminum plate on the bottom gives the mouse some nice weight to it. I like a heavy mouse but that's my preference. The top of the mouse has a nice smooth rubberized type finish which really does a nice job of picking up the sweat of your palm if you use it for long period of time. I'm starting to notice these shiny spots on the back end of the mouse where my palm has been resting. The sides of the mouse are plastic and have this matte type finish which help provide a nice grip. My only gripe about the build of the mouse would be its height...I wish the back end of it was a little bit taller.

Now for the button lay-out. The buttons on the left side of the mouse are laid out pretty nice...kinda in the shape of a backwards "c" with a nice area in the middle to rest your thumb. There a total of 9 programmable buttons and they feel good - not too easy to click and not too hard either. Each button does have its own unique shape to it so finding them without having to look where your thumb is, is relatively easy. My only complaint here is, the buttons are close together and the same height so its somewhat easy to press two buttons at the same time if your thumb isn't exactly on the button you're trying to press. Now, this may be a non-issue for some because I have a relatively big thumb. But the buttons are good size and this is something I probably won't have an issue with given more time to adjust to the mouse. It's no where near as frustrating as the Logitech G600. Navigating those buttons with my large thumb was a nightmare. The mouse left and right button on the top have a decent click to them - it's kinda soft and doesn't take much of a press to click them. I don't really like that. There are 3 other buttons on the top of the mouse - 2 on the upper left of the mouse for DPI switching but can also be re-programmed and there's a button in the center, below the scroll wheel which I wish was closer up because you really have to reach back with your finger to click it, almost having to change your grip on the mouse. Finally, the scroll wheel is really good. I wish it was a tilt wheel but its good nonetheless. It's rubberized and has a good feel and scrolling motion.

The software is not very user-friendly. Took me a while to figure out how to make a macro and they don't explain it to you. I had to watch a youtube video of someone showing how its done. You can select the button you want to customize by clicking on its corresponding number in the picture. You then have several options for what you want to assign to it...anything from keystrokes to macros to commands like launch a program or copy/paste. Once you're done customizing the buttons you have to make sure you go to the Manage Profiles tab at the top, click the profile you want to use for it, then assign it a number 1-6 and then save it to the mouse. If you don't do those steps the mouse won't register any changes you made. Compared to using the MadCatz Cyborg and Genius Gila software, this was a nightmare....and it surprised me coming from Corsair.

Overall I'd give the mouse an 8/10. It's a solid mouse with crappy software. Right now I'm leaning towards keeping the Cyborg but I'll give it the weekend before making my decision. So far, out of all the mice I've tied - Logitech G600, G700, Corsair M95, Genius Gila, and the Cyborg M.M.O. 7 - the one that felt the best in my hands was the Gila. It's really too bad the scroll wheel design wasn't better and not being able to assign any of the buttons keystroke commands was just stupid.

How is it compared to the Naga Hex size-wise? I think the Hex is a tad small. I used the Microsoft Sidewinder for an age, and loved how it fit into my hand.

Haven't used the Naga Hex before but according to the listed dimensions is slightly bigger...

Corsair M90/95 4.65” (L) x 2.84” (W) x 1.58” (H)
Naga Hex 4.57” (L) x 2.76” (W) x 1.81” (H)

hmmm, not as tall as the hex, but probably wouldn't be an issue. a bit longer and wider. I may have to try it out.

So, after playing more with the M95 this weekend I've decided to send it back. It's a good mouse but just not quite comfortable in my hand and I don't particularly care for the feel of the mouse clicks.

I'll also be returning the Cyborg M.M.O. 7. It's also not a very comfortable mouse for me because of how wide it is compared to other mice. I thought this was something I could get used to over time but my hand started to cramp up on me a couple times last night while PvP'ing in Old Republic. Also, I don't know if it's the material they use or what but my palm kept getting hot and sweaty after using it for long periods. The mouse is suppose to have a matte finish but it feels more like a hard rubberized surface.

So, I guess I'll keep looking for now. I am leaning towards ordering the Genius Gila again if I can't find anything. I can work around the key binding issue by creating macros for individual keys, it's just a hassle to do it that way.....and then there's the scroll wheel but I think I can get used to it over time. Like I said previously, out of all the mice I've tried so far, the Gila was the most comfortable mouse I've used in a while.

So, after playing more with the M95 this weekend I've decided to send it back. It's a good mouse but just not quite comfortable in my hand and I don't particularly care for the feel of the mouse clicks.

I'll also be returning the Cyborg M.M.O. 7. It's also not a very comfortable mouse for me because of how wide it is compared to other mice. I thought this was something I could get used to over time but my hand started to cramp up on me a couple times last night while PvP'ing in Old Republic. Also, I don't know if it's the material they use or what but my palm kept getting hot and sweaty after using it for long periods. The mouse is suppose to have a matte finish but it feels more like a hard rubberized surface.

So, I guess I'll keep looking for now. I am leaning towards ordering the Genius Gila again if I can't find anything. I can work around the key binding issue by creating macros for individual keys, it's just a hassle to do it that way.....and then there's the scroll wheel but I think I can get used to it over time. Like I said previously, out of all the mice I've tried so far, the Gila was the most comfortable mouse I've used in a while.

Matte doesn't have anything to do with the feel, it just means it isn't very reflective.

Back