New gaming monitor - ISP for it?

suchka

n00b
Hey guys!

Im looking for a new gaming monitor. 23 or 24 inch, 16:9 (1920*1080) with the budget around 250 eur ;_;

My current pick atm is Asus PA238Q. But its an IPS monitor, and from what ive heard they tend to leave alot of ghosting behind.

So if you could help me find a new monitor that would be great.

Thanks

Last edited:
IPS (Inline Plane Switching) not ISP

They do not have the ghosting you would ever think. You trade massive color reproduction for supposed ghosting that doesnt really exist anymore for a drab blah monitor that claims to have no ghosting.

Woops a mistype, thanks.

So your saying the ghosting nowadays isnt that noticeable anymore? And other than that its far superior than regular TN panels?

New IPS monitors don't have noticeable ghosting any more, and given that prices have come down a lot recently, I would definitely recommend one over a TN one.

Well you could also say that TN panels have improved a lot. While they don't have as wide of viewing angles as IPS displays they are much better colour and contrast wise than a few years ago. If you dont spend a lot of time looking at your monitor from the side then a TN monitor is fine. And I don't think they are far superior.

But saying that, the Asus PA238Q that you are thinking of getting seems to be a pretty good gaming monitor. Low input lag and quick response, so I think you will be fine with that monitor.

check out prad.de for a review.

http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2011/review-asus-pa238q.html

@reaper12, Yeah i know prad.de , but the user reviews of the number of bad bleeding from PA2738Q is scaring me a bit.

I guess ive come to either Dell 2312HM or Asus PA238Q.

Also its hard to find a TN panel monitor since there arent alot of reviews (mostly only expensive - 300eur+ get the reviews)

Can recommend the Dell as a cheap IPS gaming monitor. No input lag or ghosting and no backlight bleeding on any of my 3 monitors (but there is "IPS glow")

@reaper12, Yeah i know prad.de , but the user reviews of the number of bad bleeding from PA2738Q is scaring me a bit.

I guess ive come to either Dell 2312HM or Asus PA238Q.

Also its hard to find a TN panel monitor since there arent alot of reviews (mostly only expensive - 300eur+ get the reviews)

Well, I was in the sorta the same boat as you until last night, Was searching for a new monitor for ages for roughly the same budget and after reading mulitple reviews and user comments on french, german, dutch and uk forums I decided to buy the Iiyama E2473HDS-B1 this morning. It should be delivered sometime next week. Cost me €189.

I was consider the Dell U2312HM as well, but after reading all my reading I think the E2473HDS is better.

Oh since you had trouble finding reviews of TN monitors under €200 here are two english reviews I have found about the Iiyama.

http://www.digitalversus.com/lcd-monitor/iiyama-prolite-e2473hds-p10816/test.html

http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/gpu_displays/iiyama_prolite_e2473hds_review/1

Here is a list of the Pros of the iiyama,

Nearly no input lag,
fast response with no trailing or inverse ghosting.
amazing picture quality, with great colours.
Has VESA mounts

Here are the Cons

Not as wide viewing angles as IPS
Stand is supposed to be very poor.

If you aren't in a hurry I can give a review of it towards the end of next week.

Really should save a few more dollars and go 120Hz... IMO the best way to go by far for gaming...

@NukeDukem, Im already stretching it too 250eur from 220eur.

@reaper12, under 250, but non the less this monitor looks awesome. Sure i would be really thank full if u spare a couple of minutes to write a really short review about it! :)

I guess thats the problem of not knowing much except english (not main language) with a little of german. And google translate cant do much on technical stuff.

I have a TN panel with 5ms grey to grey time response. It still sucks at ghosting. Same should go for IPS panels.

@NukeDukem, Im already stretching it too 250eur from 220eur.

@reaper12, under 250, but non the less this monitor looks awesome. Sure i would be really thank full if u spare a couple of minutes to write a really short review about it! :)

I guess thats the problem of not knowing much except english (not main language) with a little of german. And google translate cant do much on technical stuff.

Well Suchka, as promised my short review of the Iiyama E2437HDS-B1 :)

I purchased the monitor for €189 and that included delivery, the delivery guy arrived to me yesterday morning with the monitor and caught be completely by surprise because I wasn't expecting it until thursday. So a good start!!

Opened the box and set it up on my desk and yes, it's a really nice monitor, another plus point, it looks the part at least :D But, as I mentioned earlier the stand is very poor. the whole monitor shakes when I am typing!! Now my desk is a bit shakey as well so if you have it on a very solid surface it might be fine. But I think I might replace the stand as the monitor comes with Vesa mounts so it won't be a big job.

Then I turned it on and it worked, lol, another plus I guess ;) It looked fine, no back light bleed, no dead pixels. I took a few photos just now but they look crap, only a phone camera. Here is one decent of skyrim.

IMAG0037a.jpg

and here is another one showing the back light bleed. It looks awful but that's because I can't block out all the sun. I will try later tonight and see if I can get a better picture. Sitting in front of it I can't see any bleeding at all. Despite what the photo suggests. :p

IMAG0036a.jpg

Believe me it looks way better than the photos.

It took me ages to calibrate and I am still not finished. I would advise anyone to try and get the loan of a hardware calibration tool, it will save a lot of trouble in the long run. But anyway, I used the Lagom lcd text images to calibrate. And i used my video card controls to change the brightness, contrast etc. All I did on the monitor was change the colour profile to warm and turn the brightness and contrast to 50.

Well anyway after much tweaking I got a picture that I am happy with. I still want to try and get the blacks a little better but they are pretty good. The colours are really good straight out of the box and I can't see why anyone would want to change them.

Now for the gaming part, all I can say is really good :) No ghosting or inverse ghosting for a start, just set the overdrive to 3 or 5 whichever you prefer. I use 5 myself and haven't noticed any trailing or anything like that. There is a little input lag, between 10 and 20ms but this is compared to a CRT. If you are used to playing on LCD's then you certainly won't feel it. It's definately the best LCD for gaming that I have tried.

Would I recommend this monitor, yeah I would. People like photographers etc wouldn't be purchasing this cheap of monitor anyway, but for everyone else this monitor is very good and I can't see anyone complaining about the picture quality.

Pros
Great picture once calibrated.
Colours nearly perfect just out of box
No ghosting or trailing or anything like that (when using overdrive)
Low input lag.
Very easy on the eyes for work related stuff like office or web browsing. Text is clear.
Really nice monitor to look at :D

Cons
Bad stand.
Hard to calibrate.
Poor viewing angles as most TN monitors do.

I really took a chance buying this monitor. I was considering purchasing the benq xl2420t but the price was just too high for me at the moment. Of course I could have saved up for a while, but I really needed a new monitor and at half the cost of the benq the iiyama e2473hds is a fantastic piece of gear.

It gets my seal of approval, a Gold award from me for whatever that's worth. :D

Woah! Thanks for remembering to review it, read it 3 times just to be sure i didnt miss some important review information hehe.

Seems pretty awesome by the looks and by ur review. I will really consider it now.
Colors are nice and "colorful" tho? (skyrim pic) Or is it just that u play with high brightness, or is it the phone or my bad monitor.

I do hope my school will lend me their calibration tool. Heck if they lend us video-cameras i dont see why not lol.

Thanks again for the review :D Will really consider it now, even tho i may have to postpone it for a while since i need a new router aswell :/

It's just my bad camera phone. The screen looks brilliant in real life. Skyrim looks great and nothing like that photo.

Well by the time you are able to afford to buy a new monitor I suggest you buy the next generation of this monitor. Yes, Iiyama are releasing a 120hz version. If the colours are as good on that as they are on the E2473hds, then I might consider upgrading. It's supposed to be a really good price too!!

Yeah i guessed so. Imo in the end every monitor will look way better with colors then the current one lol.

Got a model number for the next gen version tho?

The 27 inch version is coming out first week in May, it's the Iiyama G2773HS, looks pretty awesome :)

Back