New games based on DOOM3's Engine...

Cannibal Corpse

[H]ard|Gawd
Who's disappointed with these games? To me, Quake 4, Prey they all look like DOOM3 game.

Playing games on XBOX 360 convinces me more and more that PC based games are going to be the thing of the past. (except some RTS or boardgames?)

Ever play Quake 4? I used to think that but the game actually looks and feels different. BUT I can see why you would say that for Quake 4. Buuut...Quake for is after all an ID game.

Prey on the other hand looks NOTHING like Doom3. It looks freakin awesome and hoping what the videos show of it translate well in actually playing it.

UH..and what exactly on 360 is so special that isn't on PC? I mean..it's like 90% of the catalog on PC anyway?

Cannibal Corpse said:
Who's disappointed with these games? To me, Quake 4, Prey they all look like DOOM3 game.

Playing games on XBOX 360 convinces me more and more that PC based games are going to be the thing of the past. (except some RTS or boardgames?)

Well, Quake 4 played very much like doom becuase it was on the same engine, and made by the same guys. Hopefully Prey can overstep that and make a unique game regardless of engine.

Either way, PC gaming is hear to stay, and Doom 3 sure aint gunna change that ;)

Doom 3 and Quake 4 were exactly like I thought they would be. Nothing earth shattering, but still fun enough for me to play.

Prey on the other hand is something different entirely, and I can't wait to play it.

Firewall said:
Still haven't played Doom 3. Maybe I'll go pick it up this weekend.

I wouldn't bother unless you can find it for cheap. You aren't missing much.

Of course they all look similar, it's the same engine. Will you say that about Sin:Episodes when it comes out since it uses the same engine as HL2? Why would you expect differently?

Doom 3 and Quake 4 are completely different types of games, in my opinion, and the engines are the only thing that could really be compared between them. D3 went for the oppressive, slow, unrelenting tension/horror, while Q4 was a more action packed frenetic kind of game. Prey i'm sure will have its own atmosphere and it'll certainly have a whole different gameplay from what i've heard.

Viper87227 said:
Well, Quake 4 played very much like doom becuase it was on the same engine, and made by the same guys.

Same Engine, Different Developers. ID Software developed DOOM 3 while Raven Software developed Quake 4.

UH..and what exactly on 360 is so special that isn't on PC? I mean..it's like 90% of the catalog on PC anyway?

For starters, look (or play) at DOA4, PGR3 or PD0 to see what I mean. True next-gen stuff, not same rehashed id technology. UT2007 is going to be interesting though (on PC or PS3).

|MaguS| said:
Same Engine, Different Developers. ID Software developed DOOM 3 while Raven Software developed Quake 4.

Hrm. I thought Id did Quake. Raven needs to make a new SOF game.

Cannibal Corpse said:
For starters, look (or play) at DOA4, PGR3 or PD0 to see what I mean. True next-gen stuff, not same rehashed id technology. UT2007 is going to be interesting though (on PC or PS3).

DOA4 has great levels but the models look barely better then DOAU and PDZ looks worse then FEAR, Q4 and COD2...

PC Gaming is going more online in our days. Games such as WOW, GW, bf2 are all online based. PCS are leading in GFX and online gaming, more and more buy pc games just for mp factor of it.

PDZ looks worse then FEAR, Q4 and COD2...

None of the games that you mentioned use shaders as extensively as PD0, this game (along with Cameo) are the showcase for next gen technology.

Cannibal Corpse said:
None of the games that you mentioned use shaders as extensively as PD0, this game (along with Cameo) are the showcase for next gen technology.

Exactly, PDZ looks bad because it trys too hard to look nextgen and suffers for it. The game also suffers from HORRIBLE level design, poor story and just bland gameplay. Its nothing at all like the original... Free Radical should kick RARE in the nuts for making such a poor sequel.

a game that compares graphically to PGR is GTR/GT legends. GTR is a little older but i still think it looks pretty good, especially the in dash views (better than PGR imo). For some reason the cars in PGR look out of place compared to the backgrounds.. thats just me i guess.

Viper87227 said:
Raven needs to make a new SOF game.
Yes. But hopefully more along the lines of SOF and not SOFII. II tried to hard to bring other elements of gameplay to the table, and, in my opinion, it failed. SOF was best because of its simplicity. I still play it!

I enjoyed both Q4 and D3 IMO they are two different games that use the same graphics engine D3 = slow, dark, horror. Q4= fast, also dark but not as much as D3, sci-fi stuff...
What I hate is when people start complaining about the game that isn't even out yet and jump to conclusions on some screenshots and gameplay footage. Prey looks great IMO but I'll make mu judgment when it's out
over and out.

beanman101283 said:
Prey i'm sure will have its own atmosphere and it'll certainly have a whole different gameplay from what i've heard.

You can walk on the walls/celings, that alone is enough for me. Imagine deathmatch were your enemies are all around you...litereally.

personally I think the best use of the doom3 engine so far is this:

http://cdoom.d3files.com/index.php?page=news

but I think Prey, while you can see it's doom3 engine roots, does look like it takes the engine to new levels of fun with the portals, wall walking, and exceptionally detailed environment textures... I think it will surpize peeps. I hope it does. Anyways... classic doom on the doom3 engine is a blast.. love it!!!!!

Also - you guys should check out:

http://recalltohell.d3files.com

that team seems to be working on some seriously nice levels using the doom3 engine...

Cannibal Corpse said:

Im not disappointed in any of the Doom3 based games.
I enjoyed Doom3 for what it was supposed to be. Seems everyone who didnt like Doom3 was expecting it to be something is wasnt.
Quake 4 was alot of fun for me as well, brought back some great quake 2 memories.
And well Prey has my attention as well and in no way does it seem like a doom3 rehash.
I think anymore people are too worried about what engine a game is using and judging it by that.
But then again for some reason the Doom3 engine has alot of hate being thrown at it. :confused:

Viper87227 said:
Hrm. I thought Id did Quake. Raven needs to make a new SOF game.

That would be good. Lately I have really grown tired of fps games that use horror, monsters, aliens for plot. I would like to see more games like SOF or NOLF etc.

Doom 3 wasnt all that good for me

Quake IV was awesome

Prey looks Friggen Sweet and Different :D , defiantly buying that.

pistola said:
You can walk on the walls/celings, that alone is enough for me. Imagine deathmatch were your enemies are all around you...litereally.

Something tells me 2006 is the year that PC multilplayer gaming regains its thrown. I'm not saying that there haven't been any good releases over the past few years, but nothing on the scale of Unreal Tournament, Quake III, etc.

Prey, UT2007, Enemy Territory: Quake Wars (and these are just a few) = :D

I'll be building a new machine for these games. The only games in the past that have made me upgrade/build a new box have been UT and UT2K4.

If some people would actually spend time with a game, maybe their opinions would change. I don't see how anyone who spent more than 20 minutes playing Quake 4 could say it was the same game as Doom 3. The pacing and story is totally different, not to mention the level of interactivity and level designs.

I remember being initially blown away by Doom 3 and it's engine. I was actually looking forward to it more than HL2 and I was a HL !!!!!!. Sadly I was dissapointed and have come to the realization that the Steam engine was a pure invention of beauty.

I just got done playing Quake 4 and I have to say it has its differences and similarities to Doom 3. I hate to say it but I found the weapons for one to be uninspiring. THe setting (Man vs. Alien/Machine/Man). It was kinda neat how they implemented vehicles into the game, as well as the "becoming Scrogg" portion.

I'm definitely looking forward to Prey. The story is interesting, but I'm not trying to build my hopes up to much. Personally it has a "Doom 3 look to it". Meaning it doesn't necessarily look like Doom 3, but it definitely seems to have a feel to it (engine of course). Plus I don't get the whole Space and Tribal Indian connection...

Back