New FX chips for AM3?

jamesgalb

Gawd
dont jump the gun here they call the a10-8700 the fx 8800p when paired with a dGPU

there will be no AM3+ cpu

only new fm2+ apu that carry the fx name.

stick a fork in am3 it is done and eol. AM4 will be taking over for the fm line too

AM3+ is dead. We're just waiting to see what AMD Zen has in store for 2016 and for DDR4 prices to drop. :)

Correct for the 2 x above me. I think the FX series will be the performance (CPU ONLY) line of AM4. Meaning no APU (Or on board graphics).

There was another article floating around that painted the picture better, but with the way AMD is doing the new packages, it was either something along the lines of 4 CPU cores + GPU, or no GPU and 6 or 8 CPU cores type of a thing.

AM3 is done

bah...

guess the build is getting a fx 8320e, which I expect to overclock to 4ghx easily and to be utilized better with DX12/Vulkan gaming and the continued progression of multi-threaded applications. AM3+ is far from 'dead', even if its at the end of its upgrade paths...

Agreed, AM3+ is still a great platform. I love my Sabertooth R2.0 and my 8370.

Only updates I would really like on the 990FX chipset to be %100 content with it, would be M.2 x4 and PCIe Gen 3. First (M.2) Asrock put a x2 slot on the Killer board. (Not a huge far of asrock) and Asus had a short run of a the Sabertooth Gen3 board. Impossible to find these days.

If your in the market, let me know, I got an 8320 basically BNIB just sitting in the closet. I am not investing in another board to run it (Since I have my 8370)................

I agree, that the am3+ socket maybe dead, but as others have stated it's still very viable for a premium budget build. Especially as more and more mulit threaded apps start coming out. I just built a rig using an 8320e, 970 chipset,gtx 970..and for the price of the whole build including monitor,ssd,2 7200 hds mouse and keyboard it was under 850. And even coming from an overclocked p2 x6, the fx chews thru anything! I mainly use it to rip and re encode bluray and dvd for home streaming, and it shreds in that scenerio. sure there's no more am3 upgrade path but I can see this system lasting 4 years and actually getting faster performance wise as multi threaded apps increase.

Correct for the 2 x above me. I think the FX series will be the performance (CPU ONLY) line of AM4. Meaning no APU (Or on board graphics).

There was another article floating around that painted the picture better, but with the way AMD is doing the new packages, it was either something along the lines of 4 CPU cores + GPU, or no GPU and 6 or 8 CPU cores type of a thing.

AM3 is done

Actually they are dropping fm as a socket too the next Gen will all be am4 or soldered to board packages... so apu cpu all will be am4...

Actually they are dropping fm as a socket too the next Gen will all be am4 or soldered to board packages... so apu cpu all will be am4...

are you sure about that. APUs have been delayed so there was no mention of socket. AM4 was mentioned because ZEN will first show up as a CPU (sans iGPU).

are you sure about that. APUs have been delayed so there was no mention of socket. AM4 was mentioned because ZEN will first show up as a CPU (sans iGPU).

The info graphic has for the parts that were fm2+ listed as am4 being the socket they are replaced with... in fact in the 2016 lineup the only 2 sockets are mentioned fp4 and am4 with the fp4 being the bga soldered to board package.

Last edited:
Back