New FS1b / AM1 APUs in March.

cageymaru

Fully [H]
WCCFTECH has some leaked info on an AM1 (FS1b )socket and 25w APU releases. Supposedly they won't support DX 11.2, but compatible with 11.1. These are Jaguar core based APU. 1 dual core and 2 quads.

Looks like a bad idea.

Performance will probably be around the same as boards with soldered on CPU, but price will be higher.

Looks like a bad idea.

Performance will probably be around the same as boards with soldered on CPU, but price will be higher.

oh you mean a mobile/desktop part that uses the same cpu core as the xbone and ps4 is a bad idea wow mister you really are smarts :rolleyes:

The xbox1 and ps4 have crap for cpu speeds. I wouldn't want one even though its an 8 core its clocked around 2.1 I believe. Says quads anyhow so they will be clocking higher im sure but not a lot. They suck already and aren't even released.

I don't understand why they all say "25W TDP" when the slowest one has 10% less clock speed, and only 50% the core count, and 1/2 the L2 cache. It's got to be like sub 10W. edit: Well, I guess they could pump it all into the gpu side.

Last edited:
The xbox1 and ps4 have crap for cpu speeds. I wouldn't want one even though its an 8 core its clocked around 2.1 I believe. Says quads anyhow so they will be clocking higher im sure but not a lot. They suck already and aren't even released.

man i would LOVEEEEE a ps4 apu that i could drop into an FM2+ socket. that would be a miners dream come true.

edit: drats, i forgot i would need DDR5 memory too... my a10-5800k only gets 46kh because of the low memory bandwidth.

I don't understand why they all say "25W TDP" when the slowest one has 10% less clock speed, and only 50% the core count, and 1/2 the L2 cache. It's got to be like sub 10W. edit: Well, I guess they could pump it all into the gpu side.

TDP means Thermal Design Power (or Point). In other words, it's a target for the platform as a whole (socket, heatsink, voltage regulators), not necessarily an actual product characteristic.

This is actually very common with both Intel and AMD. Just look at the dozen or so 65w or 95w TDP products that are all based on the same architecture but with different features locked off and a variety of CPU speeds. Not all of them will hit their rated TDP, but the socket, heatsink, and power components are guaranteed to be able to handle at least that much power.

This is probably going to be an E350 like part, in essence, slow.

used an e350 for almost 2 years i did not find it too slow for web surfing video watching or extremely light gaming skyrim ran on it somewhat ok as in with a controller i could play it but it took 10-15 minutes per screen to load so it was not all that fun to play with such long load times and low frame rate. They could have their place provided they price them right.

man i would LOVEEEEE a ps4 apu that i could drop into an FM2+ socket. that would be a miners dream come true.

edit: drats, i forgot i would need DDR5 memory too... my a10-5800k only gets 46kh because of the low memory bandwidth.

well ddr 4 should be coming out soon.

Im going to get a a10-7850k before the miners drive up the price it is looking very tasty

Last edited:
used an e350 for almost 2 years i did not find it too slow for web surfing video watching or extremely light gaming skyrim ran on it somewhat ok as in with a controller i could play it but it took 10-15 minutes per screen to load so it was not all that fun to play with such long load times and low frame rate. They could have their place provided they price them right.

I've worked with an E350 laptop, quite often the CPU maxed out at 100% usage for a while. Light usage is okay, but it is slow in comparison with other Pentium/A6 offerings.

I've worked with an E350 laptop, quite often the CPU maxed out at 100% usage for a while. Light usage is okay, but it is slow in comparison with other Pentium/A6 offerings.

I own one the best thing about it was the 5-6 hour battery life it had. Gaming on it was unpleasant to say the least but do able. The gpu seemed capable but the cpu portion was very slow and you could feel that slowness.

oh you mean a mobile/desktop part that uses the same cpu core as the xbone and ps4 is a bad idea wow mister you really are smarts :rolleyes:

I'm not saying the CPU is bad, I'm saying the concept of offering these CPU's as a socketed version is a bad idea.

Selling these parts as soldered on parts could save a little on the end price, and the end price is very important in the low performance segment.

The top end part is essentially a 25 watt A4-5000 and a motherboard manufacturer may start selling this CPU soldered onto a motherboard at a lower price.

I use an E-350 every now and then and on linux it still absolutely screams along for what it is.

The 4x Jag modules tend to blow them out of the water though.

i have a four-core jaguar SFF box as a linux home server running opensuse, and it works very well.

biggest problem is that, right now, i'm not sure i want to buy a non-HSA APU from AMD.

i have one, and for £150 it was a great deal when i bought in end of November, but right now...

i'm thinking; where is a HSA compliant Jaguar APU?

biggest problem is that, right now, i'm not sure i want to buy a non-HSA APU from AMD.

i have one, and for £150 it was a great deal when i bought in end of November, but right now...

i'm thinking; where is a HSA compliant Jaguar APU?

the a10-7700k and the a10-7850k both have HSA I think anything kavari has HSA

indeed, it is simply a question of how quickly they release an HSA enabled low power APU (jaguar based)...
until then, low-power AMD APU's are less interesting.

indeed, it is simply a question of how quickly they release an HSA enabled low power APU (jaguar based)...
until then, low-power AMD APU's are less interesting.

I'm not sure that they will release one at all, if I was AMD I would work on making Puma HSA capable right out the gate instead of trying to include that feature in an older architecture that is on its way out.

AMD's roadmaps don't show Puma having HSA features though, so who knows when it will come to their low-power APUs?

by all means roll it into the next architecture (next release too?)

but until that point, AMD's low power stuff is less interesting.

Couldn't they just low-powerize kaveri?

I'm sure even a dual core with 2-4 gpu units at low clocks can be pushed below 15 watts and still compete with jaguar cores.

Not quite, I meant, take 2m/4c+8CU and make *that* 15W, at lower clock.

benefit parallel workloads more and still sip power.

Not quite, I meant, take 2m/4c+8CU and make *that* 15W, at lower clock.

benefit parallel workloads more and still sip power.

that wont make it to desktop/client socket. it'll probably go to a server grade part/platform

Back