New Fiber Internet Speed from 18Mbs

dave343

[H]ard|Gawd
Just upgraded to 1Gb/s fiber from 18Mb/s cable... :D

This is through Bell Canada. They have been digging up the streets and putting Fiber through-out the Toronto area, and just within the last year brought the fiber from the street into everyone’s condo unit in my building. When a 14MB file was downloading at 23Kb/s I threw in the towel with the Cable company.

94F53492-8D89-4F37-8727-F2CB36C87552.jpeg

Last edited:
When a 14MB file was downloading at 23Kb/s I threw in the towel with the Cable company.
that was probably due to the source not cable. unless something is really mess up its never been that slow. been on shaw since it was @home in the 90s.
nice fat pipe now eh. i told telus to gtfo though when they did out neighbourhood.

that was probably due to the source not cable. unless something is really mess up its never been that slow. been on shaw since it was @home in the 90s.
nice fat pipe now eh. i told telus to gtfo though when they did out neighbourhood.

Rogers, or Fido who I was with, piggy backs off Rogers and it’s been incredibly slow for months now. I get a large part of the reason is Covid and WFH, plus everyone and their mother is streaming more, but it’s ridiculous. 7am, 2pm, 9pm, doesn’t matter what time, sinply surfing the web was out of the question. Pages are either slow to load or don’t at all. I was paying for 150Mb/s, but over the last 1.5yrs I’m lucky if I got 50Mb/s on a good day.... bad days would be 1-5Mb/s... and most days were bad. I live in a condo building with over 400 tenets so I get that everyone is sharing the pipe on cable, but as I work in IT, I can’t get any remote work done. I’ve been trying to Remote into servers and the screens refresh an inch at a time, it’s brutal. So yes, now I will enjoy Bell’s fat pipe :D

Just upgraded to 1Gb/s fiber from 18Mb/s cable... :D

This is through Bell Canada. They have been digging up the streets and putting Fiber through-out the Toronto area, and just within the last year brought the fiber from the street into everyone’s condo unit in my building. When a 14MB file was downloading at 23Kb/s I threw in the towel with the Cable company.

View attachment 252756
Rub it in......

Still happy 150/150 Fiber at my end.

Rub it in......

Still happy 150/150 Fiber at my end.
I can pay for 1Gbit down, but at most they'll give me is 35Mbit up...

so be thankful, I don't need the 400Mbit down I'm paying for, and I'd definitely trade it for some upload :)

I can pay for 1Gbit down, but at most they'll give me is 35Mbit up...

so be thankful, I don't need the 400Mbit down I'm paying for, and I'd definitely trade it for some upload :)
trust me I could get 400mbit via spectrum but I could care less. 150 is plenty. Its the upload and lower latency that is what I wanted when I switched. They do have 500/500 but I am cheap and its frontier so billing is a nightmare. Don't want to mess with my account

Nice! I wish I had that so my vpn tunnels would have better rtt.

I'm in the same boat, just moved to a new house they have ATT gigapower its stable AF, not a single drop on my VPN in 2 weeks (comparatively it was every 3-4 days with suddenlink):

fac49c6d-6cbe-4084-8c28-36cff01b3954.png

Fiber is great when it works. The best part I really like is the synchronous speeds. No more good download but crappy uploads! (Fixed as noted! Duh.)
Thought cable is getting pretty good in that I get 100 down and 30 up. More than good enough for those who don't have fiber or live int eh country like we do.

Last edited:
Back