New eVga GTX 670 SC Issues....

To make it short...

-Had a 6950
-Overnighted a GTX 670 on release
-Uninstalled all AMD Drivers and ran driver sweeper.
-Installed 301.34 Drivers from nVidia
-Games play for 2 seconds before weird artifacts and display driver crashes over and over until system hangs.

CPU is back at stock speed as well as GPU. Temperatures look normal, but any game or 3dMark will not run.

I have reinstalled the nVidia drivers, and may be re-installing Windows if nothing else seems to fix this.

Any ideas?

Might be a dud if there are artifacts...is it possible to try it in another system?

I will be trying it in another system tomorrow. I'm now getting driver crashes as soon as Windows loads.

Also just tried to run FluidMark and it maybe went a second and crashed.

For someone that was jumping ship to expect better performance, and easier driver installations....this may have left a bad taste in my mouth.

I do understand defects happen an no company is perfect. Hopefully Amazon can send me another, as I do not want to get a refurb from eVga for a card I just shelled out $420 for.

Sounds like it's defective unfortunately, but amazon will (if they have them in stock when you contact them) cross-ship or just set up a refund on the defective one so you can order another as soon as it's there again.

I would recommend trying it in another PC as you're thinking for a minute, or a quick re-do of Windows, but it is likely a bum card :(.

Sounds like a defective card. I simply uninstalled my AMD drivers and installed the 670 and had no driver or issues whatsoever.. Didn't even use Driver Sweeper

I would recommend trying the card on another system or even try an different power supply. I had similar problems on my system and it turned out to be the power supply.

I just had problems with my 5770 that I finally thought was damages, crashed in any game. I ordered when on sale a 6850 and it gave me a crash that I then just shut down for the night. The next day I had artifacts on the display at desktop. After getting to test both cards on another system, I found they both work.
Using a spare coolermaster 400w power supply that also happen to have a 6pin, I ran it instead of my 620w and both cards worked on my system. So don't always figure it's just the card.

I would recommend trying the card on another system or even try an different power supply. I had similar problems on my system and it turned out to be the power supply.

I just had problems with my 5770 that I finally thought was damages, crashed in any game. I ordered when on sale a 6850 and it gave me a crash that I then just shut down for the night. The next day I had artifacts on the display at desktop. After getting to test both cards on another system, I found they both work.
Using a spare coolermaster 400w power supply that also happen to have a 6pin, I ran it instead of my 620w and both cards worked on my system. So don't always figure it's just the card.

Just installed the card into my mom's system. Installed drivers, same situation. Her PSU was an Antec 620 watt.

+1 for dud.

But if there is anything I have learned from dealing with Amazon is that there CS is first class. I had a 65" Plasma tv that had to be replaced 3 times. They were champs about it and no hassel + 30 day return window starts over when you get the new item.

GL

Artifacts usually points to hardware defects. Its reason enough to RMA it.

EVERYONE HAVING ISSUES, REVERT BACK TO 301.25.

It fixed all my issues, games play great and Fluidmark has been running for 10 minutes with no issues now!

Spoke too soon, as soon as I posted that I minimized my window to look at fluidmark and it crashed.

Although it seems to be more stable, it still isn't stable and I will still be continuing my RMA process......drats.

Seems if I change the power target to 122%, set the GPU clock to MINUS 125 Mhz and the Memory to MINUS 100Mhz it is stable in FluidMark, and 3dMark.

I wonder if eVga just upped the clocks on normal cards that were not able to cut it?

My evga 680 SC+ was defective too, it just couldn't handle the oc they set at the factory. Try under clocking it and see what happens. It really seems like the quality of these gpu's is just all over the place, and the Manufacturers are having trouble binning them for oc cards. Just my theory here.

Edit: you posted while I was posting. That's exactly what I suspected.

Since it does the same thing in another system, definitely sounds like a bad card.

Seems some of these chips that couldn't cut it as 680s can't be 670s either. ;)

Everyone,

The EVGA GeForce GTX 670 just launched, and we are all very excited about the great performance as you are aware. Some customers have just started receiving their cards and playing games on the new 600 series architecture.

On the forums we have noticed several users experiencing artifacting with the Superclocked version (02G-P4-2672-KR). We understand some users frustration about receiving a new product that is not working. Customer satisfaction is EVGA’s top priority and in order to ensure this, I have received special permission to those affected users above to offer an upgrade to the FTW model (02G-P4-2678-KR) with 2nd day cross shipping (in US). Replacement cards will begin processing Monday with shipments planned for Tuesday (5-15-2012).

This issue has already been escalated to top management, and is receiving top priority. We will update on this by Monday end of day.

If you have any concerns or issues with your GTX 670 Superclocked, please register your product and email our Product Manager, Jacob Freeman at [email protected] with your serial number and detailed issue.

Thanks,
Chris Bencivenga
CS Manager

http://www.evga.com/forums/fb.ashx?m=1592831

That's very nice of them! It sounds like eVGA wants to get a few defective cards back in the labs for testing and this is how they'll entice 670 owners to send some samples in ;).

Dang that is pretty awesome EVGA. Wish there were more companies like this. Big ups to them for this kind of support. Enjoy your new FTW edition Ryan ha.

Dang that is pretty awesome EVGA. Wish there were more companies like this. Big ups to them for this kind of support. Enjoy your new FTW edition Ryan ha.

I can say that once I have a new card in my hand and it is functioning correctly that eVGA will have more than likely won me as a customer forever.

Until then skeptical Ryan is skeptical. :p

This is why my last 2 cards have been EVGA and my next two cards will be EVGA.

I think it's safe to say that, unless something drastically changes with them as a company, I'm a lifetime EVGA customer.

This GTX 670 SC situation is a perfect example why. Every company is going to make mistakes or put out a bad egg every now and then. It's how they handle it that separates them. You simply couldn't ask for better customer service or a better product line.

Yeah, that's a pretty classy move of them, good CS as usual (for them) :). If they had a custom-cooler version at launch I'd have gone with them without a doubt, but I went for Gigabyte due to the HSF. EVGA is definitely my preferred brand however.

that's good that they are taking care of the situation but i wonder what the issue is with the SC version in the first place. this issue makes me wonder if some other 670 cards could end up having issues too.

Hello,

You are receiving this email in response to the recent troubles you have been experiencing with your EVGA GTX 670. In order to best assist you, I have set up a complimentary EVGA Advanced RMA to have replacement cards sent out to you, along with prepaid shipping labels to send the faulty cards back to us with.

Please read over the EVGA Advanced RMA procedures and details here at http://www.evga.com/ear/. If you had a Superclocked card, we’ll be upgrading your cards to the FTW versions of the 670, which should alleviate the issues you’re having. As for users with Vanilla 670’s, those will be replaced with a fully functional model of the 670 therein.

Yay!!! eVGA FTW!!!

that's good that they are taking care of the situation but i wonder what the issue is with the SC version in the first place. this issue makes me wonder if some other 670 cards could end up having issues too.

When people overclock them to 680 levels and run them at 85C 24/7, how can that be possible? :rolleyes:

I'm not surprised to see EVGA do this. They've got a reputation to protect. This kind of thing is why I buy EVGA over all other brands. I don't only buy EVGA, but I prefer EVGA.

Thats nice of them. I just got the Gigabyte 670 GTX OC, great card. Quiet with its triple fans. I was coming from a 6970. Just uninstalled one set of drivers and reinstalled another.

Hello:

new guy here.

Has anyone seen any other GTX 670s with these issues?

I just ordered two MSI versions with factory OCs (965) and am a little nervous?

Nice gesture on evga's part to replace their broken cards that way though!!:D

Not many have been "in the wild" long enough for too many reports to come in, but it's definitely in the realm of possibilities. These are all reject 680 chips! ;)

Not many have been "in the wild" long enough for too many reports to come in, but it's definitely in the realm of possibilities. These are all reject 680 chips! ;)

Thanks.

I was looking to get a vanilla card, and honestly that's what I thought I purchased.
I have no regrets about the purchase, I have had MSI cards in the past that have been very good.

It looks like those evga's were clocked about where my MSI's will be......:eek:

I guess I'll just keep my fingers crossed.

Indeed. Every card is different and we have to hope the other manufacturers step up similarly if there are issues. EVGA deserves credit here for going over and above, for sure!

If evga expects us to pay for return shipping though, this "nice" thing they are offering is all of a sudden not so nice. $40 for return shipping and the EAR won't transfer to the new card. If that is how it's going to be, I'll just return my card to amazon with free return shipping and buy a different brand. I had trouble with the 580 and now the 670. 2 out of 3 cards with problems is starting to become a problem to me.

If evga expects us to pay for return shipping though, this "nice" thing they are offering is all of a sudden not so nice. $40 for return shipping and the EAR won't transfer to the new card. If that is how it's going to be, I'll just return my card to amazon with free return shipping and buy a different brand. I had trouble with the 580 and now the 670. 2 out of 3 cards with problems is starting to become a problem to me.
they are charging 40 bucks just for shipping the card? that's insane as a gtx670 should be 10-12 bucks tops to ship. and for 40 bucks that means you are paying 20 bucks more than just returning the card to amazon and buying the FTW model yourself.

My eVGA Advanced RMA was completed today. New card should be shipping soon and they are providing a return label.

eVGA won a customer forever now.

I doubt it's more than an isolated issue with the one model by eVGA being too-laxly binned.

My Gigabyte GTX 670 OC SLI (2x) is running perfectly even oc'd up :D.

Back