New EVGA 980 Ti Hybrid Revision

• Thread starter Deleted member 278999
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 278999

I got in on the Amazon deal and look what arrived!

H4Yuae7l.jpg

The new variant (revision 2?) of the EVGA 980 Ti Hybrid is out in the wild with the much touted shroud that EVGA was once giving away and now sells on the side for $25. I picked this up during the recent Amazon deal (thanks Terry Olaes and those that helped out in my EVGA 980 Ti FTW vs Hybrid thread)

The card didn't come in what looked to be a standard EVGA Hybrid box, and upon lifting the lid I was greeted with a Hybrid of a new face with the new cooler shroud. There was a thread in the EVGA Forums about them working on this and I had my suspicions as both Fry's Electronics and Micro Center have been out of stock for a while now.

But there's more! Before buying this I did some research and there have been additional changes. Changes better than the new shroud! Referencing an image from the Hardware Canucks review of the card you can see the old version of the card with the cooler removed:

GTX-980-TI-HYBRID-9.JPG

This is the new revision of the EVGA 980 Ti Hybrid that I received with the cooler removed:

BWPpu7zl.jpg

Can you spot the difference? You can see that they've added pins to the heatsink plate and changed the fan. I imagine that the addition of the pins are there to create more surface area for heat dissipation and perhaps mix up the air passing through. The heatsink does appear to be black anodized aluminum. It is not magnetic and a small scrape test revealed metal.

Here are some additional pictures of the new revision that I received:

iRP5i7kl.jpg

ICyhIh6l.jpg

G1t9BdLl.jpg

New Box?

xuWHceAl.jpg

It appears as though the part number has remained the same.

aX9bHqvl.jpg

There are no markings on the box that this is a revision, and with the part number being the same (06G-P4-1996-KR), those of you looking for this new revision may have a tough time. As best I can tell the box is different per the box that is depicted on the egg.

I'll try and post some thermals and whether or not the radiator fan is now controllable with its default connection to the video card.

I do find it a bit interesting that the pump and additional fan are all powered off of the card and not SATA. I wonder if this is factored into the power draw of the chip as a whole or calculated separately so that it doesn't artificially limit the power draw of the chip.

Hope this is interesting and helpful!

- Kwaz

Last edited by a moderator:
Using an axial instead of radial fan in the VRM area makes very good sense, as you want to directly blow air at the heatsink, not have air just fly over it as with the stock blower.

At $689, thats a great deal. Cost me $100 more for the Kraken x61 cooler I put on mine plus a bit of work to install, although I get 6 years of warranty and a better cooler, this is nice for the price.

I picked up one of these too (didn't even realise it was a special price, that just happened to be when I ordered it), now I have to go home and check if it looks like yours because I wasn't paying attention. The box is the same though, so presumably it's the same card. I do recall thinking it wasn't as ugly as the picture on EVGA's website when I installed it :)

If they fixed the pump noise that would make those really great. I love mine but i just wish it didn't have a hum at idle. Still quieter than other cards while playing games but idle noise isn't pleasant.

Back