New EVE-Online graphics

...are amazing! Hooolee Crap! I espcially dig how the Amarr stations look more like cathedrals now.

Downside, I'm a bit drunk and the way the ship hovers in station now is making me feel a bit queezy :)

Don't know if you can really tell the difference though, can you guys see it :confused::confused::confused:

Old Shuttle

New Shuttle

Old Megathron

New Megathron

I will try this game eventually. Once I order my rig in February this'll be like the 5th game to play on my list.

yeah, it's actually not too over the top either. It's a bit much when you warp to the sun, but then it should be I guess.

That's with bloom on high (trying to wash out the baby blue on my beloved Gallente ships...wtf is that about)

Minmatar "Rifter" Frigate class, old graphics engine

Minmatar "Rifter" Frigate class, Trinity graphics engine

I laughed my ass off at that, it's one way to get people on Vista I guess.

Vista users aren't affected by this so I'm safe. Got this message starting up the game this morning warning of this.

rofls, i was just about to download the free trial last night. I guess i'll wait a while longer.

rofls, i was just about to download the free trial last night. I guess i'll wait a while longer.

Its fixed now.

It affected people who downloaded one of the patches during a certain timeframe with a specific hard drive/install directory combo. Those people were (probably still are) hosed on next reboot. :(

ok good to hear. i picking up guitar hero 3 today so eve will wait a little longer, i have a 3 week vacation coming up so it should be a good time to check it out.

Impressive graphics upgrade. I wish they would do stuff of that magnitude on other games (FFXI's DirectX 8.1 is growing oldddd :().

I really really really would like to get into Eve online, it sounds right up my alley as far as PVP and the community, etc goes.

However the auto-attack style combat really burned me out on it.

When i first got it a couple years back I didn't know it was auto attack and thought it was more like Alligence (old microsoft space mmo most people probably never played) with hands on combat, you know like most space fighter games have.

When I got into the game I was going for a small space fighter type of role, and the auto attack combat killed it quick for me, so boring.

Um it's not really auto attack. If you tried to pvp without actively moving your ship, a lot, then you'd get reamed in gang pvp. You may not have to move the stick but I find I have to move adjust my ship course every second or so when in small scale pvp. If you don't keep the transversal velocities in check you'll struggle in smaller ships.

It's different in Battleships and blob wars but you wouldn't be at that levle for a few months anyway.

I've tried to play this game off and on since very early on (my oldest character is over 3 years old) but I just can't. I'm pretty sure I'm one of those people that needs instant gratification but there's no other MMOs out there right now to keep me entertained. I'm trying to ration out my Mass Effect time since I'm moving and will be without internet for a while (really not sure what this has to do with anything).

My Eve account is active right now so I guess I can at least log in and "OOH" at the new graphics.

I've tried to play this game off and on since very early on (my oldest character is over 3 years old) but I just can't. I'm pretty sure I'm one of those people that needs instant gratification but there's no other MMOs out there right now to keep me entertained. I'm trying to ration out my Mass Effect time since I'm moving and will be without internet for a while (really not sure what this has to do with anything).

My Eve account is active right now so I guess I can at least log in and "OOH" at the new graphics.

Yeah its not for everybody. It's hard for some people to play knowing that to fly the really cool capital ships you are gonna have to put in a year+. But that is exactly why i like it. The sheer scale of the game. You cant just get on and start grinding and in two weeks have a uber level character like in WOW.

Yea the new art assets look great, and I'm realy glad CCP took the time to do them.

I have seen some minor graphics bugs self shadowing (even with it set to high) and I also feel that overall there needs to be more contrast overall. Don't get me wrong, the specular glare on the metal surfaces look great, but I feel there is still too much ambient light as the shadowed side doesn't realy feel like its in shadow. But these can all be fixed with just tweaks to the engine itself, no need to change the art assets.

I'll come back and post some screenshots later when I get home from work.

Still its a great effort, and it can only get better.

Ok, heres a good example of the lack of shadow I'm talking about.

eve1if2.jpg

Looks good at first. Theres a realy nice specular, but some of the background objects are fairly flat lit, like theres just too much ambient light. And the amarr flags are washed out so far that the logo is barely visable.

eve2ll3.jpg

Same scene and graphics settings, different angle. Notice how flat the lighting looks now, there is just no depth at all. That floor that had all those bumps and groves might as well have been polished smooth now.

eve3sg0.jpg

At least amarian stargates look badass.

Anyways, there is alot of good from the improved graphics, and I don't mean to nag too much, but there is also still room for improvement. Also as anyone gotten AA to work with the new graphics?

You cant just get on and start grinding and in two weeks have a uber level character like in WOW.

You are kidding me right? 90% of the 9 million people who play WoW will NEVER see end-game 25 man raids, ever. It takes too much time commitment to progress to the end game past gruuls/mag and into SSC, TK, Hyjal, and BT. It would take the average player well over a year from level 1 to get to BT.

Your problem is you think any top level player is uber, if anything there is a greater gap between level 70 players than there is between level 1 and level 70

I tried eve and thought it was terrible...

nice gfx but sorry that whole issue with it fuxing your boot.ini is ridiculous.. i dont think i've ever had a game hose my system like that.. shame on them.. glad i dont play it either, found it extremely boring

You are kidding me right? 90% of the 9 million people who play WoW will NEVER see end-game 25 man raids, ever. It takes too much time commitment to progress to the end game past gruuls/mag and into SSC, TK, Hyjal, and BT. It would take the average player well over a year from level 1 to get to BT.

Your problem is you think any top level player is uber, if anything there is a greater gap between level 70 players than there is between level 1 and level 70

I tried eve and thought it was terrible...
Off topic but it does not take that long to get to end-game raiding in WoW. I went from a total level 0 newb to Field Marshall and AQ40 and Naxx (MC and BWL of course) in less than 4 months. If you play with good people who keep progressing and you dont have to baby sit anyone the game moves a lot faster than you think. There are plenty of guilds in BT right now who only raid 3 nights a week. I quit WoW in february when we were in Serpentshrine but its wasnt any harder and in fact it's a lot more forgiving now that you dont need 40 people on to get shit done.

They might as well just scrap the Star Trek Online disapointing shity ass cartoony graphics and just use the EVE-Trinity engine.

Off topic but it does not take that long to get to end-game raiding in WoW. I went from a total level 0 newb to Field Marshall and AQ40 and Naxx (MC and BWL of course) in less than 4 months. If you play with good people who keep progressing and you dont have to baby sit anyone the game moves a lot faster than you think. There are plenty of guilds in BT right now who only raid 3 nights a week. I quit WoW in february when we were in Serpentshrine but its wasnt any harder and in fact it's a lot more forgiving now that you dont need 40 people on to get shit done.

I disagree, it takes the average player between 15 and 20 days played to get to 70.... at 2 hours a night thats 180-240 days. It would then take you at least a month at that rate to get in blue 5-man gear to be geared well enough to start kara. Assuming you join with a guild who can already do it, and not with people at your own experience level, it would still take a a few months to get all the gear you want from there. This is because any single piece of gear has about a 10% chance to drop, and then you have to roll against others that want it. Assuming that only 1 other person wants the drop that you do, times a 0.10 drop rate, that is 20 clears of kara on average to get all your gear. you can only clear it once each week. That is assuming you are able to clear it each week, which many guilds that a newbie lvl 70 would get into would not be able to do. So now we are at over a year, and now you have to do Gruuls and Mag which are all 25 man which are harder to set up and organize because they require 25 people of the right class makeup to be online at the same time, which in an established guild is not a problem but i am not assuming a noobie lvl 70 will get into a top tier guild. You can expect to spend another month doing gruuls and mags weekly to get your gear, then you can start SSC or ZA (ZA can be done at the same time as gruuls/mags if you have the time)....

anyways, my point is not all of us have 8 hours a night to play, most people who are mature enough to handle the 25 man end game raids also have jobs and a life. It is a stretch for me to make it to gruuls and ZA each week in my guild, I work full time as a software engineer and am just finishing school. It seems like you are looking at this from the perspective of a little kid who has all the time in the world to play.

Back