New EV Competitor Enters the Market to Compete with Tesla

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
Lucid, a new startup out of Silicon Valley, plans to enter the EV market with their Lucid Air that will get 220 to 440 miles per charge. The car looks nice, but it's still too early to tell if they are going to be able to produce cars quicker than Tesla is able to. They are currently building a factory in Casa Grande, Arizona, and say they are going to start out slow and then start to ramp production up as time goes by with a eventual target of 130K cars per year.

“We’re taking a very pragmatic, almost humble approach to it,” Rawlinson says, in a thinly veiled comparison to Tesla's grand ambitions and aggressive timelines. “We’re not going in there all guns blazing, saying we’re going to spend a billion dollars on a factory. That’s madness.”

So what's the estimated price of their first model of car? Priced like a tesla or more affordable?

So maybe 5-10% below Tesla because they'll have to compete against the established brand.
Nobody making electric cars really has to compete with Tesla cause Tesla can't meet demand. The bolt is selling far more Bolts compared to the Model 3 for this simple reason. Not because it's better but because it's available. Anyone who can make a decent looking electric car will most certainly sell them. This is because the automotive industry is falling on deaf ears when it comes to the demand for good electric cars.

Big problem with the Bolt is the seats are horrid and their tech cluster is archaic

Edit: I will say i am biased since i waited in line for a Model 3 and will be getting one soon enough ;)

Big problem with the Bolt is the seats are horrid and their tech cluster is archaic

Edit: I will say i am biased since i waited in line for a Model 3 and will be getting one soon enough ;)

The problem with the Bolt is they want to see a low-mileage electric car without investing in a recharging infrastructure.

Say you live in an apartment complex in NY; how exactly are you going to charge one of these?

What Tesla is doing is brilliant; if they can ramp up the model 3, they'll win the electric wars by default, as they are the only company that's actually bothered to invest in the necessary infrastructure necessary for electric vehicles to be viable.

No, the 1st problem with the Bolt is that it was designed by GM.

The 2nd problem is similar with every "low priced" electric car.
It's too small, too expensive, has a limited range, and they have to cut too many corners (like no spare tire) just to try and make it affordable, even after the huge federal and state rebates.

The problem with the Bolt is they want to see a low-mileage electric car without investing in a recharging infrastructure.

Say you live in an apartment complex in NY; how exactly are you going to charge one of these?

What Tesla is doing is brilliant; if they can ramp up the model 3, they'll win the electric wars by default, as they are the only company that's actually bothered to invest in the necessary infrastructure necessary for electric vehicles to be viable.
I agree, but Tesla could just make their connection the standard and start charging other companies to use this and bill the customer for charges.
Electric cars have yet to really have a leg to stand on. If Tesla really wants to appeal to the public, then having exclusive infrastructure doesn't help, it just ingrates that Tesla's products are rich kid toys.
In the long run it would help them immensely as well as encounter other companies to enter the competition.

I agree, but Tesla could just make their connection the standard and start charging other companies to use this and bill the customer for charges.
Electric cars have yet to really have a leg to stand on. If Tesla really wants to appeal to the public, then having exclusive infrastructure doesn't help, it just ingrates that Tesla's products are rich kid toys.
In the long run it would help them immensely as well as encounter other companies to enter the competition.
Tesla opened their patents ages ago for other automakers to use. Publicly, it was to 'spur innovation' and all of that other feel-good bs, but especially with Tesla going all-in on infrastructure (SolarCity, battery stations, etc) you know they have to see the income potential at the Super Charger stations if other manufacturers were to use their charging technology.

Edit: 2.5 years ago: https://www.tesla.com/blog/all-our-patent-are-belong-you

Until they are 20-30k I think most of us wont get one (especially us without a garage in the midwest)... however i love the back seats!

get around 500mile range MINIMUM in my opinion should be a minimum before try to hit open market.

want big bucks that is fine, but, without the range means you spend as long charging as driving :D

V8 for life.

Unless your an old man, I am pre-anticipating your regret.

Holy cow, I got a good nights sleep just looking at the back seat.

lucid-IL.jpg

This is what I tell people. Literally NOTHING else matters more than infrastructure when it comes to bringing electric cars to the masses. Tesla did this perfectly in that their superchargers are available literally anywhere and they are expanding like crazy. You can already travel across the country (US) using the Supercharger network and the built-in navigation plans that route on those charging nodes so that alleviates range anxiety. Without this in place nobody will be buying a non-Tesla all-electric car as their primary driver, and if this do they will have another gas car as a second car in case of wanting to go on a road trip, or go to Disney, or whatever. The Bolt is a okay car, but it doesn't have the nationwide fast-charge infrastructure that would make me feel comfortable buying it. The Model 3 is LITERALLY our only hope, and I hope Tesla starts making money soon because they could run out of money next year according to analysts.

get around 500mile range MINIMUM in my opinion should be a minimum before try to hit open market.

want big bucks that is fine, but, without the range means you spend as long charging as driving :D

Umm why? The majority of people do not driver over 50 miles in a day. In the rare case there is a longer trip, stop half way through for half an hour.

To those talking infrastructure, i totally agree. Why i'm buying a model 3 :)

I have seen too many Tesla's, dead on the road, due to being caught in stop and go traffic to even consider any electric car. Until charging stations (and charging speeds in less then 2 minutes) are as prolific as gas stations, I'll keep on motoring by the dead electric cars.

Last edited:
If they can hit that 400 mile range, I might be interested, but even that doesn't seem enough. I've seen plenty of Tesla owners living in Chicago make mention of massive mileage loss in cold weather conditions, up to around 40-50%. Simply not worth it.

Nobody making electric cars really has to compete with Tesla cause Tesla can't meet demand. The bolt is selling far more Bolts compared to the Model 3 for this simple reason. Not because it's better but because it's available. Anyone who can make a decent looking electric car will most certainly sell them. This is because the automotive industry is falling on deaf ears when it comes to the demand for good electric cars.

And Lucid isn't even to Tesla, as Tesla is to the combined whole of the rest of the Auto Industry.

Lucid has produced a combined total of 5 cars so far, which makes them essentially prototypes.

They are more than 5 years behind Tesla. Lucid aren't competing with anyone, because they aren't even selling cars yet.

IMO being that far behind Tesla, means they missed the small window of opportunity that Tesla essentially created.

We don't even know if Tesla will survive, but any startup trying to follow them will have a much harder road to travel, facing many more entrenched companies producing EVs by the time they get to market.

Umm why? The majority of people do not driver over 50 miles in a day. In the rare case there is a longer trip, stop half way through for half an hour.

To those talking infrastructure, i totally agree. Why i'm buying a model 3 :)

Honestly I think the studies stating how little american's drive are either based purely around people who never drive or are failing to account for most people being unable to tell how many miles they actually drive. I never thought much of it until I actually started tracking my mileage and it is nothing to do 75-100 miles in a day just running errands. As far as a long trip goes (which isn't rare for me), no I don't want to stop for 30 minutes every couple hundred miles..i want to get to my destination, not be farting around trying to charge my damn car.

Honestly I think the studies stating how little american's drive are either based purely around people who never drive or are failing to account for most people being unable to tell how many miles they actually drive. I never thought much of it until I actually started tracking my mileage and it is nothing to do 75-100 miles in a day just running errands. As far as a long trip goes (which isn't rare for me), no I don't want to stop for 30 minutes every couple hundred miles..i want to get to my destination, not be farting around trying to charge my damn car.

To be fair you're one data point. I on the other hand work from home. Shopping might be 10 miles. Sometimes need to go to Boulder so 35 miles round trip.

A few years ago when I was commuting up to Fort Collins it was about 60 miles round trip 3 days a week. Prior to that it was a short 10 mile round trip.

When I was commuting I'd be around 9 to 10k miles a year. Going off 10k/365 is 27.4 miles a day

Edit: corrected spelling of wad to was >.<

Last edited:
Tesla opened their patents ages ago for other automakers to use. Publicly, it was to 'spur innovation' and all of that other feel-good bs, but especially with Tesla going all-in on infrastructure (SolarCity, battery stations, etc) you know they have to see the income potential at the Super Charger stations if other manufacturers were to use their charging technology.

Edit: 2.5 years ago: https://www.tesla.com/blog/all-our-patent-are-belong-you
Those supercharge stations are a bit too controlled. If you have a rebuilt Tesla, then you might be SOL. Even fixing your Tesla will get you SOL. They don't parts to repair these cars. If you rebuilt a Tesla you're going to have a bad time. Tesla will block a known wrecked car from using the Supercharger.

Screw this, I can't watch YouTube again.. ! arrgh
Update: Proxfree helped... I am getting flashbacks.
Anyway, good the more electric cars better, however any new electric startup is already at a big disadvantage vs tesla.

Last edited:
Those supercharge stations are a bit too controlled. If you have a rebuilt Tesla, then you might be SOL. Even fixing your Tesla will get you SOL. They don't parts to repair these cars. If you rebuilt a Tesla you're going to have a bad time. Tesla will block a known wrecked car from using the Supercharger.

Makes a ton of sense tesla will not let unknown components connect to their chargers. An incorrectly wired charger/battery could start a fire

Back