New EU rule will require all phones and electronics to use a standard charger

https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/07/tech/europe-uscb-requirement/index.html

Washington (CNN Business)Apple and other smartphone makers will be required to support USB-C as part of a single charging standard for mobile devices across the European Union by as early as the fall of 2024 under a new law announced Tuesday by EU officials.
The legislation is aimed at reducing e-waste and eliminating "cable clutter," said Margrethe Vestager, European Commission Vice President. Under the legislation, according to a release, "mobile phones, tablets, e-readers, earbuds, digital cameras, headphones and headsets, handheld videogame consoles and portable speakers that are rechargeable via a wired cable will have to be equipped with a USB Type-C port, regardless of their manufacture."

Will be interesting to see how far this goes. On the surface it makes sense but if you're already in the Apple-verse, you have no need for USB-C and thus no "cable clutter".

There are mounting rumors Apple will move to USB-C for the iPhone, so in that sense the legislation has already succeeded.

With that said, the same concerns remain: the EU is effectively dictating tech standards. USB-C sounds great now; it might not sound great in 2032 if the spec is holding everyone back.

EU doing EU stuff again. Not sure how this improves what they say. Either there is ewaste or cable clutter, not both.

This will get in the way with the next standard or an improved usb-c later on. IMO this does more harm than good.

I have both iphone and android at the house, not much for clutter since most use wireless anyways and for cable file transfers i have a short couple cables in the desk drawer.

That said Im not really offended by two cable types, i still remember when no two cell phones had the same charger lol

Last edited:
There are mounting rumors Apple will move to USB-C for the iPhone, so in that sense the legislation has already succeeded.

With that said, the same concerns remain: the EU is effectively dictating tech standards. USB-C sounds great now; it might not sound great in 2032 if the spec is holding everyone back.
In which case, they'll adopt a new standard.

I think they have been pushing this for a while, guess they finally got enough support to pass it.

I'm not sure I'm too thrilled with usbc being the standard, but I guess it's better than some alternatives.

I for one welcome my new USB-C overlords.

I own an iPhone and iPad and have no problem with this mandate, if it provides the same functionality as my lightning cables.

I doubt Apple cares too much. They've got back the R&D on those things for the last 10 years.

Will be interesting to see how far this goes. On the surface it makes sense but if you're already in the Apple-verse, you have no need for USB-C and thus no "cable clutter".
Not sure how familiar you are with Apple laptops, but they all sport numerous USBC ports. About time the phone and tablets came around with everything else.

I imagine the idea is also in part by the time that it would be any issue for a mobile device (USB-C), wireless will have took over for that type of mobile device like it is already the case for 99.99%, I imagine a giant amount of people never use a cable for their phone, outside charging when they are out of their nightly contact charger routine.

On the surface it makes sense but if you're already in the Apple-verse, you have no need for USB-C and thus no "cable clutter".

The MacBook and new iPad models already use USB-C...

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209186

the EU is effectively dictating tech standards.

That would make more sense if it wasn't a standard that has already been adopted by the entire industry. USB 4 will use USB-C, so USB-C won't be going away any time soon. It will likely outlive all of us.

That would make more sense if it wasn't a standard that has already been adopted by the entire industry. USB 4 will use USB-C, so USB-C won't be going away any time soon. It will likely outlive all of us.
I'm sure it'll be around for a while, but that long? Nah. Virtually every tech standard reaches a point where it's no longer adequate, no matter how bright and promising it was early on. USB-C is a bit more resilient in that there's no huge rush to change the connector, but we have yet to see if the performance and power will still be relevant over time.

I'm sure it'll be around for a while, but that long? Nah. Virtually every tech standard reaches a point where it's no longer adequate, no matter how bright and promising it was early on. USB-C is a bit more resilient in that there's no huge rush to change the connector, but we have yet to see if the performance and power will still be relevant over time.
I think a large difference between this standard and a normal usb connector is years of adjustment. We want smaller chargers, check. Unidirectional, check. High powered, check. Works across many aspects, such as monitors, video card enclosures and the normal peripherals as well, check.

Previous usb iterations didn't cover much past basic peripherals. USBC is robust, strong, less prone to damage like micro usb was and can be used for numerous functions above and beyond the basic.

I'm confused.

Haven't we been talking about this EU rule now for like half a decade?

Didn't they already pass this a long time ago?

I'm confused.

Haven't we been talking about this EU rule now for like half a decade?

Didn't they already pass this a long time ago?
Yea, they started the path a bit ago. They formed a commission to find what chargers were being sold and this was used to help push the law forward.

"Half the chargers sold with mobile phones in 2018 had a USB micro-B connector, while 29% had a USB-C connector and 21% a Lightning connector, according to a 2019 study from the commission."

And looks like fall of 2024 is when this will be in place and enforced.

USB started out as a replacement for those pesky 9 and 25 pin serial ports. I think my pentium 200 motherboard was the first one to have USB on it.
Amazing where it is today.

I think this is a good thing as long as the law allows for backwards compatible revisions and allows for major changes to the standard if needed.

I think the laptop part is the bigger deal since most non-apple phones are already usb-c while most laptops were still using proprietary charging ports the last I looked. The article I read didn't say exactly when that part goes into effect though, just that it was later than the 2024 date for smaller devices.

EU doing EU stuff again. Not sure how this improves what they say. Either there is ewaste or cable clutter, not both.

This will get in the way with the next standard or an improved usb-c later on. IMO this does more harm than good.

I have both iphone and android at the house, not much for clutter since most use wireless anyways and for cable file transfers i have a short couple cables in the desk drawer.

That said Im not really offended by two cable types, i still remember when no two cell phones had the same charger lol

It's a double edged sword.

Apple are a goddamn pain in the ass with all of their proprietary connectors and other solutions, but on the flipside legislation like this can stagnate innovation and make next generation standards require a literal act of Congress (or parliament as it were).

A more vague approach, requiring the use of an open industry standard, but less specifics about exactly which one to use might be a better approach.

That said USB isn't exactly a fully open standard either. I believe the USB-IF charges license fees...

That said it's $5k per year for a USB ID number (so it is for a practical purpose of maintaining things). There is an additional $3500 fee per year to be allowed to use the USB logo, but that I believe is optional.

So, not completely open, but not terrible in the grand scheme of things.

It's a double edged sword.

Apple are a goddamn pain in the ass with all of their proprietary connectors and other solutions, but on the flipside legislation like this can stagnate innovation and make next generation standards require a literal act of Congress (or parliament as it were).

A more vague approach, requiring the use of an open industry standard, but less specifics about exactly which one to use might be a better approach.

That said USB isn't exactly a fully open standard either. I believe the USB-IF charges license fees...

That said it's $5k per year for a USB ID number (so it is for a practical purpose of maintaining things). There is an additional $3500 fee per year to be allowed to use the USB logo, but that I believe is optional.

So, not completely open, but not terrible in the grand scheme of things.

Fair point.

Yea lightning is a bit long in the tooth now at this time. Although proprietary, at the time (i wanna say 2013?) it was pretty far ahead of micro-usb. And I know we do all like to go after apple but it really is just down to a small number of connectors. Id rather micro-usb be phased out for C but at the same time it is a more costly connector to put on a product. Not too much of an issue with expensive BOM's but for your smaller price products it will sting them the hardest.

Also this starts a bad road too. What other connectors out there should just be eliminated because there is a more popular one? Video, power, and audio probably should be looked at next. /s of course but at the same time, not ridiculous either.

I dunno i just naturally try to oppose getting governments involved in everything. And to me personally consumer products and charging cables should be pretty low on the priority list.

Fair point.

Yea lightning is a bit long in the tooth now at this time. Although proprietary, at the time (i wanna say 2013?) it was pretty far ahead of micro-usb. And I know we do all like to go after apple but it really is just down to a small number of connectors. Id rather micro-usb be phased out for C but at the same time it is a more costly connector to put on a product. Not too much of an issue with expensive BOM's but for your smaller price products it will sting them the hardest.

Also this starts a bad road too. What other connectors out there should just be eliminated because there is a more popular one? Video, power, and audio probably should be looked at next. /s of course but at the same time, not ridiculous either.

I dunno i just naturally try to oppose getting governments involved in everything. And to me personally consumer products and charging cables should be pretty low on the priority list.

I wonder if this will just result in an "everything is USB-C" type approach like we have seen in other areas across the industry.

Just like how we kind of got to USB 3 and then the naming mostly stayed there and they just started adding stupid subspecification names that made less sense than the previous version increments.

Every future revision of USB will now be called USB-C.

USB-C 2.0
USB-C 40G
USB-C 220V

Etc, etc.

It seems strange that the EU would take an interest in "eliminating cable clutter" to the extent of enacting legislation. Unless the reduction of e-waste wasn't a strong enough impetus for change, I don't see why they'd mention cable clutter at all. I know that all of you were thinking the same thing.

It seems strange that the EU would take an interest in "eliminating cable clutter" to the extent of enacting legislation. Unless the reduction of e-waste wasn't a strong enough impetus for change, I don't see why they'd mention cable clutter at all. I know that all of you were thinking the same thing.

I think they are part and parcel of the same thing.

Cable clutter eventually results in more eWaste, as those cables need to be replaced.

It's probably just a matter of the good old writers instinct to "write more" to make what they are doing sound more impressive than it is.

We all fall victim to that on occasion.

Anything that causes CrApple issues is good in my book :) There really is no reason that nearly every connection cannot just be TB4 now (just use the base USB C 2.0 subset for cheaper applications), including power & data of any kind be it displays, ethernet etc. etc. One connection to rule them all. Imagine if all TVs were suddenly DP over TB instead of HDMI :) ?

Buy a device get a cable, USB-C great 3.2A for now, but what about the 1.8A or 5A cables? They just end up in the trash, what if USB4 needs a different gauge but still at 5A but can “work” on cheaper wires at 3.2A… This really does nothing for EWaste, the reason people toss cables is because cheap ones break fast not because their changing every decade.

There really is no reason that nearly every connection cannot just be TB4 now (just use the base USB C 2.0 subset for cheaper applications), including power & data of any kind be it displays, ethernet etc. etc. One connection to rule them all. Imagine if all TVs were suddenly DP over TB instead of HDMI :) ?
*Checks Thunderbolt cable prices. Also, max lengths.*

No, thank you...

I was talking to someone today about this and she said that any device that ships with a charger is exempt from this. Can anyone confirm that?

Favourite thing to stump my ex gf used to be using her Macbook Pro charger to charge my Android phone, when she couldn't charge her iPhone with it. Mind Boggled.

Apple should never have adopted USB-C. They should have upgraded lightening and put it on all their laptops and desktops. Had to be one or the other.

I was talking to someone today about this and she said that any device that ships with a charger is exempt from this. Can anyone confirm that?
I think they must offer to ship without a charger, the goal being to decouple to 2 things completely chargers and devices.

https://www.europarl.europa.eu/RegData/etudes/BRIE/2021/698819/EPRS_BRI(2021)698819_EN.pdf
whenever end-users are offered the possibility to buy a device with a charging device, they would also have to be offered the possibility to buy it without a charger (new article 3a RED). Cables could still be offered with every device.

I think they must offer to ship without a charger, the goal being to decouple to 2 things completely chargers and devices.
Which is entertaining since Apple's been sued in two countries for not shipping a charger with the latest iPhone.

Which is entertaining since Apple's been sued in two countries for not shipping a charger with the latest iPhone.
My galaxy s21 didnt come with a charger, just cable. Though a bad example since i dont consider samsung all that different than apple anymore.

In one of those the fact that the USB to lighting cable did not work on the people USB charger, I would imagine that if they worked on the many USB-C cable have lying around and with the many Ac to DC adapter people have lying around (or computer) it would have resisted better in the Brazil-China court.

phones that are rechargeable via a wired cable will have to be equipped with a USB Type-C port

I said this when they proposed this law years ago. Apple is just going to go full wireless with their phones. No ports for charging or data. 🤣

Reactions: Wat
like this
While This is convenient for everyone involved, I think, simply put, a government telling someone that they have to change their product to meet convenience requirements is pretty fucking stupid.

If it was a major problem, Apple would have changed it already, like they have with the iPads.

Back