new eth card wont connect to internet.. setup probs mebbe?

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by kryptic, Feb 12, 2004.

1. kryptic

kryptic Gawd

alright, i picked up a netgear fa311 ethernetcard today to put in a computer i was planning on making a fileserver. the only problem... it doesnt connect to the internet. :mad: i installed the card, formatted (which i needed to to anyway) and tried to access the internet and no luck.

when i Rightclick >status onthe network connections screen under the activity section it says bytes sent: 0 recieved: 1101 or some number that changes (duh). is the computer recieving data and just not sending? i dont see how that would make me not able to access the internet though.

im not really sure what to check/change so i figured id come here to hopefully get pointed in the right direction and learn a little bit :)

i hope yall can help

2. slick rick

slick rick Very Slick

is the computer connected to a router?

is the computer getting an ip address?

3. kryptic

kryptic Gawd

the computer is connected to a hub then to the cable modem. i dont think its getting and ip addy.

4. kryptic

kryptic Gawd

this is what i get under the support tab in network connections...

Address Type: Invalid IP Address
    IP Address: 0.0.0.0
    Subnet Mask: 0.0.0.0
    Default Gateway: (blank)

5. slick rick

slick rick Very Slick

does your isp only allow one ip address? if so then you'll probably going to need a router and not a hub.

6. kryptic

kryptic Gawd

well im not sure... there were already two computers hooked up to the hub. there have been 3 hooked up before...

id run this computer as the router but i cant get the damn integrated ethernet card on the asus a7n8x board to work :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: