New Eizo EV - Series - PWM-free (partially)

Folex

n00b
For over one year i was locking for a PWM-free 24" monitor. I think the new Eizo ist the first LED-24"-monitor with hybrid dimming (i.e. above ~ 20 % the dimming is flicker-free).

Since two weeks i have the Eizo EV2436. Here my short Impression:

The best thing: It is PWM- and flicker-free to a brightness of 18 %! Below this mark heavy pwm-flicker starts. For my eyes brightness of 20 % is o.k. especially when the contrast is reduced a little bit. It is important to switch off all "EcoView-Options" otherwise the flicker starts in a dark room.

I am am quite satisfied with the picture quality. For an IPS-panel black is good, there is no backlight-bleeding and also the "white screen" is well balanced without clouding. The coating is quite aggressive and some people probably will see IPS-Glow. But after some days i am used to it and it does not bother me. - The monitor is totally quiet, there is no noise from the power supply. The speakers are useless, never heard such a lousy sound.

All monitors of the new EV-Series do have hybrid-dimming (23",24" both TN or IPS and 27" IPS). I hope other manufacturers will follow Eizo and offer monitors without PWM. For my eyes it is big relief.

The coating is quite aggressive and some people probably will see IPS-Glow
You meant IPS sparkle, didn't you? IPS Glow is different and all IPS panels without an A-TW polarizer (99.9%) have it. However, IPS glow is only noticeable when viewing a black background.

Does the coating have a similar "hardness" to others found on recent IPS LED monitors, such as HP ZR2440w, Asus PA248Q or Dell U2412M?

Have you bought a colorimeter? If so, which one?

I've also bought the EV2436W and I will get it next monday. Thank you for your comments.

Last edited:
You meant IPS sparkle, didn't you?

Does the coating have a similar "hardness" to others found on recent IPS LED monitors, such as HP ZR2440w, Asus PA248Q or Dell U2412M?

Have you bought a colorimeter? If so, which one?

You are right! It must be sparkle ore something like glitter. - Sorry, but English is not my native language. At a distance of ~ 2 ft. i don`t realize it, and as i wrote, it does absolutely not bother me.

Somebody wrote that the panel is a LG LM240WU8 (but i didn`t check this!) . You can find these panels also in older or newer revisions in the HP ZR2440w and the Dell U2412M.

I am not a professional and have no colorimeter. I took the data from the PRAD-Review and for me it is just fine.

The only reason i bought this monitor is that it has no PWM. I must say, that i am very happy with it and hope you will be too.

Hi again,

Did you notice any flicker when brightness is set to 20% or lower?

I am not a professional and have no colorimeter. I took the data from the PRAD-Review and for me it is just fine.
Ok, did you feel the white point is somewhat cool? Have you adjusted the RGB gain to your preference?

Thank you again. I am also excited with the EV2436W. I can't wait any more :D

Did you notice any flicker when brightness is set to 20% or lower?
Heavy flicker starts at 17 % brightness - above there is no flicker. Don't know if it's the same on other models.

Ok, did you feel the white point is somewhat cool? Have you adjusted the RGB gain to your preference?
For daytime and bright rooms i use: R 100, G 98, B 96, Gamma 2.0 Brightness 20 and Contr. 45 [User1]. For dark rooms i use R 68, G 67, B 66, Gamma 2.0, Brightness 20 %, Contr. 50% [User2]. Sounds silly, but at the moment i am trying to find my personal preferences and these adjustments are not so bad. First of all i have to avoid PWM so brightness <18 is a "no go".

Well, I have already the EV2436W at my home and I'm satisfied overall so far, but not with the coating (as you shall see shortly):

=== My short and unprofessional review of the Eizo EV2436W (comparing it with a NEC P241W too) ===

* The AG coating *
Unfortunately, the coating is very similar to the found on the NEC P241W. I think we won't found a bearable coating on a 24" IPS monitor until the LM240WU9 panel is used on a some new model, but I think I will get used to it overtime.

* Subjective Image quality *
Excellent but too cool for my taste (I need to buy a colorimeter soon), nevertheless this 'cool look' is usually found on W-LED monitors and is nothing new. It's worth noting I haven't found any dead/stuck pixels.
The FRC algorithm works very well even with dark images, no banding is noticeable with the naked eye. I haven't found any tinting either.
Contrast is high, and black depth is, simply, STUNNING for an IPS panel. Black is real black when brightness is set at a very low level, such as 10% or 8%. To get the picture, black (at these levels) is very similar to the black of my Pioneer Kuro 50" Plasma TV (with 20000:1 static contrast ratio). However, the black of the EV2436W is worse when brightness is increased (as expected), but not too much. Comparing it with the black of the P241W, it's way better, no doubt.

* Brightness distribution *
Almost perfect (to the naked eye). There is no need of uniformity correction technologies on this model. Only if you pay attention to the left side you can notice a slight temperature change, but you have to see it very closely. I remember that I had to enable ColorComp on the P241W to see a more uniform white (at the cost of contrast ratio and illumination). Also practically there is no backlight bleed, only you can notice an upper right corner slightly more illuminated than the rest of the panel, but only on low ambient light conditions and with a completely black image as you'll see below.

* Interpolation quality at lower resolutions *
Top-notch. The precision of the interpolation algorithm is amazing and better than the P241W for sure. I have both monitors placed side by side and I can notice the difference. I can set resolution at 1680x1050 and still see a readable text without changing sharpness, whereas with the P241W (and with my old 2490WUXi too!) I had to change sharpness and text was still uncomfortable. Text is crisper on the Eizo at lower resolutions, no doubt.

* PWM flicker *
I did NOT notice it at all!! Even with very low brightness (8%) I couldn't notice any flicker at all. Only my digital camera is able to capture the flicker, and it's still subtle. Eizo have done a good job with the PWM control, IMHO.

* Additional features *
The monitor has a movement sensor located on the front which detects user movements and also temperature changes. It's adjustable up to 5 levels. When you leave your work place, the monitor detects it and goes to sleep after a time interval configurable by the user. When you come back, the monitor is automatically turned on.
My only concern is the ambient light sensor, because it does not work as expected. When the Auto EcoView (that is, the light sensor) function is set to 'Standard' and the evening falls, brightness is set too dim for my taste and I cannot increase it with this feature enabled. If I increase brightness, no change is performed to illumination, despite of the manual claims the brightness range can be adjusted by the user. I have to say NEC's are better in this regard.

As a final thing, I've posted 2 photos of the EV2436W showing a completely black image at 2 brightness levels to get an idea of the very good backlight distribution.

Brightness at 32% (~ 140cd/m2):

Note: The sparkle of the lower right corner is not bleed, but the typical IPS glow found on panels without the extinct A-TW polarizer.

Brightness at 10% (~ 49cd/m2):

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
@_HU_

Thanks for update about the Eizo. It could be the best monitor in the world otherwise, but with a heavy coating, I'd never be able to use it. It's a real shame how manufacturers basically ruin great displays with that coating .. it's almost like they are blind and don't see what their own monitors look like.

Hopefully you get used to it. I know I wouldn't be able to.

* The AG coating *
Unfortunately, the coating is very similar to the found on the NEC P241W. I think we won't found a bearable coating on a 24" IPS monitor until the LM240WU9 panel is used on a some new model, but I think I will get used to it overtime.
I hope so!

* PWM flicker *
I did NOT notice it at all!! Even with very low brightness (8%) I couldn't notice any flicker at all. Only my digital camera is able to capture the flicker, and it's still subtle. Eizo have done a good job with the PWM control, IMHO.
Fine that PWM does not affect your eyes. Below 18 % brightness i also can't see flicker at first sight, but my eyes begin to hurt.

My only concern is the ambient light sensor, because it does not work as expected. When the Auto EcoView (that is, the light sensor) function is set to 'Standard' and the evening falls, brightness is set too dim for my taste and I cannot increase it with this feature enabled. If I increase brightness, no change is performed to illumination, despite of the manual claims the brightness range can be adjusted by the user. I have to say NEC's are better in this regard.
Mine does the same. - Seems to be normal. - I did not notice this, because i switched off all "ECOs".

Folex said:
Mine does the same. - Seems to be normal. - I did not notice this, because i switched off all "ECOs".
For your information, I've contacted Eizo Ibérica Tech Support (Spain) today, and they told me this behaviour is NOT normal. The monitor should increase brightness as requested by the user even with the Auto EcoView function enabled. My guess is there is a little bug in the firmware and Eizo need some time to fix it. At least, they already know the issue.

Another question: Do you have a subtle mark (like a circle) on the top of the panel case, near the center? I can notice it with medium light if I watch it carefully sideways. It seems it's a little blemish left at factory when painting the case. It's not severe, but I'd like to know if you have this 'mark' too.

Search for the blemish on your model, please:

Note the blemish is simulated and exaggerated with Photoshop because my camera cannot capture it. You must see it sideways (not from the front) to notice it.

Thank you very much

PS: I will keep you posted on my progress with Eizo Support. You should not have this issue even if you're not using the feature.

Another question: Do you have a subtle mark (like a circle) on the top of the panel case, near the center? I can notice it with medium light if I watch it carefully sideways. It seems it's a little blemish left at factory when painting the case. It's not severe, but I'd like to know if you have this 'mark' too.
Search for the blemish on your model, please:
Oh my God I despair ;)... But now in serious: You are right - I also find a small darker spot at the said location but it is really barely visible. Without your note I would have never discovered it and honestly that does not bother me at all.
My guess is there is a little bug in the firmware and Eizo need some time to fix it.
According PRAD there is another firmware error: "If the signal source is changed (eg from DVI to VGA) and then the monitor is turned off by power button, then all the color settings of the original source (in this case, DVI) are reset to factory settings."

I do not know if it will be possible to update the firmware at a later date.

PS: I will keep you posted on my progress with Eizo Support.
Thanks

Definitely, I'm agree with Namelessme.

Six month ago i had a Dell 2412 and i couldn't stand it. I'm not sure if it was due to the AG coating or the flickering issue, but i had to send it back to amazon.

A couple of weeks ago, after the first reviews of the new Dell S2740L that announce glossy display and no flicker, i bought a S2340L but with only turn on the display i knew that it had flicker.... It seems a kind of lottery and some units have flicker and some don't have, at least with the 27". The point here is, as the manufacturer don't include this specification in the sheet, you can't complain about it.

Now, with this EV series with flicker free specification and 16:10 resolution, i expected that the definitve 24" LED display had arrived, but i see that Eizo have solved only one of the problems and the agressive AG coating continuous there, as six month ago (it have the same panel that 2412)

Now, I doubt between sending back the S2340L to amazon and try this EV hoping to get used to the coating or keep waiting for the brand that read this forum and create a display without a agressive coating and flicker free.

I've read someplace that the Eizo EV2736WFS will use a PLS Panel, and I hope with a semi-glossy coating.

Oh my God I despair ;)... But now in serious: You are right - I also find a small darker spot at the said location but it is really barely visible. Without your note I would have never discovered it and honestly that does not bother me at all.
Neither do I. Just I want to know if my unit was a "lemon" or not :p The severe issue is the abnormal behaviour of the light sensor (well, at least for me).

According PRAD there is another firmware error: "If the signal source is changed (eg from DVI to VGA) and then the monitor is turned off by power button, then all the color settings of the original source (in this case, DVI) are reset to factory settings."
I haven't checked this bug. Have you checked it? To be honest, this bug does not bother me (so far).
I do not know if it will be possible to update the firmware at a later date.
Thanks

I think it will. I've seen some firmware updates for ColorEdge series on the Eizo global website.

On the other hand, Eizo have contacted me in the evening, and they said I will have a workaround within 48h. I insisted on it's very likely the bug could be solved with a firmware update. I have told them there is another user (you) with the same problem. Keep in mind you will be able to use the EcoView function (e.g. light sensor) if this bug is fixed, because you could force a lower limit for brightness (like 18% if you are bothered by the flicker). The monitor should not decrease brightness under that limit.

Now, with this EV series with flicker free specification and 16:10 resolution, i expected that the definitve 24" LED display had arrived, but i see that Eizo have solved only one of the problems and the agressive AG coating continuous there, as six month ago (it have the same panel that 2412)

Now, I doubt between sending back the S2340L to amazon and try this EV hoping to get used to the coating or keep waiting for the brand that read this forum and create a display without a agressive coating and flicker free.
You can wait "ad Calendas Graecas" or "until the cows come home". You will never find the perfect Monitor. I had half a dozen Monitors here and had them all sent back( PWM, coating, adjustability, noise, ghosting, input lag etc). After this ugly experience I can say that the EV2436 is not the perfect 24"-monitor, but for me it's currently the best I can get.

@_HU_
On the other hand, Eizo have contacted me in the evening, and they said I will have a workaround within 48h. I insisted on it's very likely the bug could be solved with a firmware update. I have told them there is another user (you) with the same problem. Keep in mind you will be able to use the EcoView function (e.g. light sensor) if this bug is fixed, because you could force a lower limit for brightness (like 18% if you are bothered by the flicker). The monitor should not decrease brightness under that limit.

That would be great! - Please let me know the answer from EIZO.

P.S. I also didn't check the "the signal source-bug".

Last edited:
Just a suggestion. I would go up to the point where the flicker seems to disappear (you say 18), and then up just a few more, just to be sure it's completely gone. What would it hurt to keep it at 20, say? You may not notice the difference, but it still might be there.

Gonna follow this thread in earnest.

Last edited:
I've read someplace that the Eizo EV2736WFS will use a PLS Panel, and I hope with a semi-glossy coating.

Thank you for the suggestion but i don't have the hardware needed to manage 27".

Another bet could be the new Dell 2413H. It seems it will have the new LG panel LM240WU9 and some interesting key points (according http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/news_archive/27.htm#dell_u_2013):

- Uniformity Correction
- Hardware calibration with 14-bit LUT
- Colour space emulation with Factory Calibration

... But nothing is known about coating and flicker :(

You can wait "ad Calendas Graecas" or "until the cows come home". You will never find the perfect Monitor. I had half a dozen Monitors here and had them all sent back( PWM, coating, adjustability, noise, ghosting, input lag etc). After this ugly experience I can say that the EV2436 is not the perfect 24"-monitor, but for me it's currently the best I can get.

ha,ha,ha acording to the OP you wait for a year...

Yeah, now i'm thinking that the main problem i had with the 2412 was the flicker. Back then, in CRT times, i couldn't stand monitors with a refresh lower than 60 Hz. I remember that when i saw a colleague working with 50 Hz, i said: How can you work like that?

Only one thing is clear to me, i can't stand the S2340L that i have at the moment and it's a glossy display.

@Ultrasonic

I too had a problem with the Dell 2412 when I owned it. I'd say the coating was the biggest problem for me, although it did have some bleed too. At the time I just assumed this was that 'IPS Glow' everyone talked about -- before I understood what glow actually was.

If flicker is a problem for you, is it on LED screens only, or all LCDs? Just wondering if perhaps you may be better off with an older CCFL display. You could always pick up a cheap used CCFL and crank up the brightness (which shouldn't be super bright, if backlights are aged), to minimize flicker, and use that to tide you over for now. The NEC 2490 (1st gen) had a med. coating, and older VAs are generally acceptable coating-wise.

And the flicker thing with CRTs and low refresh rates isn't exactly the same as with LCDs. Although LCD/LED flicker could still certainly bother you.

@Ultrasonic:

Don't blame manufacturers, but LG.Display. Just they use the available panels which are suitable for their models. This has already changed with the arrival of LM240WU9, used in the new Eizo CG246 (very expensive and super high-end monitor, perhaps the best 24" in the world at this moment).

The new Dell U2413H looks promising, but be careful, it's a wide gamut monitor. Unless the color space emulation of the U2413H is equally good than the used on NEC PA and Eizo ColorEdge series (almost perfect), the color emulation will be only approximate (in the best case), and you'll probably see somewhat oversaturated colors (reds and greens usually). My bet is it won't considering the old U2410 had a mediocre sRGB emulation.

To all wanting to buy the EV2436W: I highly recommend it (if you don't mind the grainy coating). Like Folex, I've purchased previously 3 monitors with 2 replacements for each:
HP ZR2440w - 2 units (severe IPS glow, poor panel quality with transparent dots, below average uniformity)
Asus PA248Q - 2 units (strong backlight bleed, non-linear RGB gain controls, stuck pixel)
NEC P241W - 2 units (not good panel quality - smudges and 1 dead pixel, problems with stand)

All of them are made in China, the Eizo is made in JAPAN (very few products are made in this country nowadays, what a shame). Quality control is higher, of course. My panel has no defects, dead/stuck pixels, smudges, backlight bleed or whatever. I have had 6 monitors before and all of them had flaws. This panel is immaculate. Period.

These Eizo's only have little bugs in firmware but they are solvable, either sending them to a service center (for the update) or downloading the corresponding update utility. I don't know what solution I will have, but I will have one at least.

@Ultrasonic

I too had a problem with the Dell 2412 when I owned it. I'd say the coating was the biggest problem for me, although it did have some bleed too. At the time I just assumed this was that 'IPS Glow' everyone talked about -- before I understood what glow actually was.

If flicker is a problem for you, is it on LED screens only, or all LCDs? Just wondering if perhaps you may be better off with an older CCFL display. You could always pick up a cheap used CCFL and crank up the brightness (which shouldn't be super bright, if backlights are aged), to minimize flicker, and use that to tide you over for now. The NEC 2490 (1st gen) had a med. coating, and older VAs are generally acceptable coating-wise.

And the flicker thing with CRTs and low refresh rates isn't exactly the same as with LCDs. Although LCD/LED flicker could still certainly bother you.

@Namelessme

Thanks, in fact, I've followed some 1st generation 2490 used in ebay, those that had a touchscreen, but the shipping cost from U.S. to Europe was very high and didn't worth it.

Otherwise, Nec already have some 2nd generation 2490 (wuxi2) reburfished but... again they don't deliver it in europe.

Anyway, this monitor (1st or 2nd generation) still being one of my options if i don't find some LED i can stand.

@Ultrasonic:

Don't blame manufacturers, but LG.Display. Just they use the available panels which are suitable for their models. This has already changed with the arrival of LM240WU9, used in the new Eizo CG246 (very expensive and super high-end monitor, perhaps the best 24" in the world at this moment).

The new Dell U2413H looks promising, but be careful, it's a wide gamut monitor. Unless the color space emulation of the U2413H is equally good than the used on NEC PA and Eizo ColorEdge series (almost perfect), the color emulation will be only approximate (in the best case), and you'll probably see somewhat oversaturated colors (reds and greens usually). My bet is it won't considering the old U2410 had a mediocre sRGB emulation.

To all wanting to buy the EV2436W: I highly recommend it (if you don't mind the grainy coating). Like Folex, I've purchased previously 3 monitors with 2 replacements for each:
HP ZR2440w - 2 units (severe IPS glow, poor panel quality with transparent dots, below average uniformity)
Asus PA248Q - 2 units (strong backlight bleed, non-linear RGB gain controls, stuck pixel)
NEC P241W - 2 units (not good panel quality - smudges and 1 dead pixel, problems with stand)

All of them are made in China, the Eizo is made in JAPAN (very few products are made in this country nowadays, what a shame). Quality control is higher, of course. My panel has no defects, dead/stuck pixels, smudges, backlight bleed or whatever. I have had 6 monitors before and all of them had flaws. This panel is immaculate. Period.

These Eizo's only have little bugs in firmware but they are solvable, either sending them to a service center (for the update) or downloading the corresponding update utility. I don't know what solution I will have, but I will have one at least.

@_HU_ & @Folex

Did you make the strobe hand test of flicker above and below 18% of brightness? Assuming that yes, is clearly visible the difference?

@Folex
Did you make the strobe hand test of flicker above and below 18% of brightness?
Yes I did! Above 18% there is absolutely no strobe effect. =< 17% my fingers seem to be in a Disco.

Assuming that yes, is clearly visible the difference?
No, it isn't, but my eyes are affected, especially when the background is white. My friend also has checked it and he had absolutely no problems. As we know it seems to be an individual thing.

Yes I did! Above 18% there is absolutely no strobe effect. =< 17% my fingers seem to be in a Disco.

Like I said earlier, you should think about upping the backlight just a little bit more if you're planning to use the minimum. Usually when the flicker seems to disappear there are a few more steps where the flicker is still present. You should use the camera or oscilloscope test to see where does the flicker completely disappear.

Like I said earlier, you should think about upping the backlight just a little bit more if you're planning to use the minimum. Usually when the flicker seems to disappear there are a few more steps where the flicker is still present. You should use the camera or oscilloscope test to see where does the flicker completely disappear.
It is at 20% and I can look at it for hours and hours without any eye-problems.

Last edited:
@Folex,

Do you have any backlight bleed on your unit? I'm just curious about that. As I've said in my 'mini-review', I have a little of bleed on the upper right corner (it's not severe though). You have to show a black background on low light conditions and set the brightness at about 30 in order to notice it.

Thanks

@Folex,
Do you have any backlight bleed on your unit?
No! Or at least, I can't see it. But I realize some glow in the lower corners, which disappears when I change the viewing angle or increase the distance.

Did you hear something from EIZO concerning the brightness sensor?

No! Or at least, I can't see it. But I realize some glow in the lower corners, which disappears when I change the viewing angle or increase the distance.
What a shame, I have bleed on the upper right corner. And furthermore, I've discovered 2 clear smudges on the left side visible under light backgrounds. I have to replace my unit, no doubt, because the panel is defective (not for the bleed, but the smudges). Your lower right corner is fine. That's IPS glow which have all IPS panels without the A-TW polarizer. Don't worry because it has no solution.
Did you hear something from EIZO concerning the brightness sensor?
Yes, it seems either a firmware issue or a component malfunction of the light sensor, according to the 'official response'. In any case, you must send your unit to the service center. They don't allow to download the firmware update (if so) for the customer. As I have to replace this unit, I cannot fix the light sensor until a new replacement is ordered (I'm waiting confirmation from the seller).

It's really a shame because I'm loving my EV2436W. I'm getting used to the coating and it's a pleasure to work at 1680x1050px thanks to its marvelous text interpolation (the best I've ever seen).

Last edited:
I have to replace my unit
I will keep my unit. My monitor has only the sensor-problem and as you know I have turned it off. - The risk of getting a faulty unit is too high. Even with EIZO you play the lottery. - Too bad that you can not update the firmware yourself.

@_HU_

I want to buy a EV2436WFS to work and play fps (BF3 , TF2), but if you have time to explain return policy after your recent problem, i'm really interested to know if backlight bleeding, or pixel dead, can activate the EIZO warranty.

In france, monitor cost 500 euros :-/ It's a pretty big investment, and i'm not sure about policy of EIZO about this normal problem with lcd

@_HU_

I want to buy a EV2436WFS to work and play fps (BF3 , TF2), but if you have time to explain return policy after your recent problem, i'm really interested to know if backlight bleeding, or pixel dead, can activate the EIZO warranty.

In france, monitor cost 500 euros :-/ It's a pretty big investment, and i'm not sure about policy of EIZO about this normal problem with lcd
Well, the german seller (olano.de through Amazon Marketplace) sent me a courier at no cost. The monitor is now in Germany under revision. I've sent a short report with the problems: bright patches (smudges) on the left side (not bleed), the abnormal behaviour of the light sensor and the possibly bug described at Prad about deletion of settings when changing the input source. He promised me that he would read it carefully and would send it to the Eizo service center.

Backlight bleeding is minimal on one corner, the panel is well mounted at factory, but according to Prad's review, bleed should be almost none. But keep in mind Eizo have the same pixel policy as other brands: Pixel Failure Class II (the majority), so you cannot request a exchange due to one or two dead pixels, for example. As quality control is very high (the monitor is made and assembled in Japan), it's very unlikely you get a panel with defective pixels. Although I got 2 bright smudges visible on light backgrounds after 3 weeks of use (bad luck, I suppose).

Last edited:
I assumed Eizo would do a replacement for dead pixels, but based on what you just said, I guess not. Considering what they charge, they should offer free replacement + free shipping on any model that has a dead pixel/other problems. And if new, I'd want a new replacement, not just a repair.

And if new, I'd want a new replacement, not just a repair.
Replacement is not possible directly from Eizo, the warranty is only for repair (they told me this). But the seller could be willing to replace it.

Update on this:

Today, the seller got in touch with me and he told me Eizo have admitted all the issues: abnormal light sensor behaviour, firmware bug when changing the input signal and the 2 light patches described before. According to the manufacturer (Eizo), all of these problems have been solved (including the light sensor).

I still have to see it in person to trust them, but if the light sensor fix is true, it looks good, and all owners who want this fixed are qualified for a repair. When I receive the monitor I will post my impressions.

I recently purchased an Eizo EV2436, and I'm a bit disappointed with the backlight/glow. I was under the impression that it was supposed to be better than average, but mine seems as bad as any IPS I've seen. Here's a photo taken at about 2 feet with my phone, which renders pretty decent photos with accurate colors. The brightness level was set to 20.

EIZObacklight.jpg

@ _HU_ :

My screen seems much more blue in tone than yours, what settings are you using to achieve the more neutral black I'm seeing in your photo?

Anyhow, my question to other owners of the EV2436: Should I exchange this monitor while I'm in the 30-day window and hope for a better sample, or does mine look pretty much in line with what other people have been receiving? If this is the best I can hope for, I guess I'll learn to live with it, but it's tough after coming from an VA panel. Ultimately, I want to go with IPS over VA because as much as I like the relative black level uniformity of VA, I just can't stand the off axis gamma shift. Better to get a dead accurate image when looking straight on and deal with bright corners, than to have uniform black and crushed detail in the center.

Thanks in advance.

@Surlias:

I'm sorry for the late response, but I have been busy. Regarding the backlight bleed I would say it is not acceptable. My replacement has ZERO bleed (and I mean absolutely nothing). However, the IPS glow is another story. That's not a flaw, but a feature of all IPS screens without the famous A-TW polarizer. Having said that, the EV2436W has moderate glow when you are looking the screen from a side, but it seems you're not showing any glow on your photo, but real bleed. Ask for a replacement, Eizo quality standards are very high and I'm pretty sure Eizo will change your unit at no cost. It's better to process the replacement with EIZO directly, because they will test the unit before sending it back to you.

My settings are the following:

Brightness: 32
Contrast: 50
Saturation: -3
Gamma: 2.0
R: 97
G: 96
B: 92

@Surlias:

...It's better to process the replacement with EIZO directly, because they will test the unit before sending it back to you.

Thank you for the reply. I live in the US, so I'm not sure returning directly to EIZO is really an option for me. They don't really have a presence in the US, do they?

Thank you for the reply. I live in the US, so I'm not sure returning directly to EIZO is really an option for me. They don't really have a presence in the US, do they?

I was told by a reseller in Canada that there is a US facility that would handle warranty claims for Canadians, but I have no further details.

Hi everybody,

I recently bought an EV2436 and i'm a little disapppointed with contrast which could (or not) possibly result of light bleeding. A Spyder4 colorimeter report a contrast ratio around 600:1 with brightness set to 32% and contrast set to 50%.

Is my unit have a flaw or did i expected too much of this screen after reading Prad review ?

Below is a photo of my screen:
DSC_3740-2.jpg

Thanks

I seriously considered this monitor (440 euros on amazon.it), but picture you posted worries me a bit...

Your EV2436 shows more glow and backlight oddities than my far-from-being-perfect dell U2311...

@Krad1: I have ZERO bleed on my unit. I think yours is defective and you should replace it with Eizo.

@balnazzar: See my previous review in this thread. You'll notice my old EV2436W has much better uniformity than Krad1's unit. My new replacement has an almost perfect brightness distribution (I had to replace it only once).

For your information, the brightness sensor works as INTENDED. Finally, Eizo told me this function is designed for saving energy, not for user comfort, sadly.

There are many ways that one can be bothered by the flicker --

(1) Direct effects; visible flicker
Affects: CRT, PWM, LightBoost

(2) Indirect effect; flicker not visible but "feels" odd
Affects: CRT, PWM, LightBoost

(3) Motion artifacts; flicker leads to PWM artifact whenever flickers does not match refresh rate:
Affects: PWM (CRT and LightBoost doesn't have this)

Sources:
-- BlurBusters: LCD Motion Artifacts 101
-- TFTCentral: Pulse Width Modulation

People who get eyestrain only with (3) only should get either a PWM-free display, LightBoost, or CRT.
People who get eyestrain with (1) and (2) should get a PWM-free display.

Back