New Egg is a ripoff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pure and simple, they're ripoffs. I'm talking about video cards.

The first thing that got me were their combo deals, offering (mostly) shitty, pre-built computers that featured the RTX 3000 cards. Or they'd pair the GPU with something else (mobo, PSU, etc.). When they got a drop, most of the cards would go to their pre-built crap. Only a few would be offered for individual sale.

Then when in January, it was announced that new 25% tariffs on GPUs would take effect in April, New Egg immediately jacked the prices of all their cards up by as much as $300 each. And at the time, they were also hosting scalpers offering you that $1,500 RTX 3090 for $3,500. In my book that's reprehensible. I don't know if they're still doing this; I haven't looked.

After that, they started their "shuffle", which in theory allows everyone an equal chance to buy their overpriced GPUs, and for a while, you actually did have some small chance of getting a card. But now lately, all they're offering on their shuffle are more great combo deals: the video card you want along with a power supply, motherboard or other POS you don't want, don't need and will never use. They're also doing this with the new AMD cards.

I'm sure they absolutely love these combo deals because it's a great way to get those slow movers out the door, instead of sitting there in inventory, gathering dust .

It's a ripoff. They're taking advantage of super high demand and ripping off their own customers - because they can. It's no different than selling flashlight batteries for $20 each during a blackout. New Egg: "You really want this video card, huh kid? Well bend over, and I'll give you a little surprise..."

Best Buy isn't doing this. B&H Photo isn't doing this. eVGA isn't doing this (for the people in their queue). And as far as I've heard Microcenter isn't doing this. They're responsible, good retailers.

New Egg is a piece of shit. If this is what they think of their customers - that we're just stupid marks there for them to rob and plunder as they see fit - then they need to be punished. Severely.

I will NEVER EVER buy anything from them again. Fuck New Egg.

Everybody needs to vote with their wallets, and show them what they think of this bullshit.

#neweggpieceofshit #fucknewegg

Pure and simple, they're ripoffs. I'm talking about video cards.

The first thing that got me were their combo deals, offering (mostly) shitty, pre-built computers that featured the RTX 3000 cards. Or they'd pair the GPU with something else (mobo, PSU, etc.). When they got a drop, most of the cards would go to their pre-built crap. Only a few would be offered for individual sale.

Then when in January, it was announced that new 25% tariffs on GPUs would take effect in April, New Egg immediately jacked the prices of all their cards up by as much as $300 each. And at the time, they were also hosting scalpers offering you that $1,500 RTX 3090 for $3,500. In my book that's reprehensible. I don't know if they're still doing this; I haven't looked.

After that, they started their "shuffle", which in theory allows everyone an equal chance to buy their overpriced GPUs, and for a while, you actually did have some small chance of getting a card. But now lately, all they're offering on their shuffle are more great combo deals: the video card you want along with a power supply, motherboard or other POS you don't want, don't need and will never use. They're also doing this with the new AMD cards.

I'm sure they absolutely love these combo deals because it's a great way to get those slow movers out the door, instead of sitting there in inventory, gathering dust .

It's a ripoff. They're taking advantage of super high demand and ripping off their own customers - because they can. It's no different than selling flashlight batteries for $20 each during a blackout. New Egg: "You really want this video card, huh kid? Well bend over, and I'll give you a little surprise..."

Best Buy isn't doing this. B&H Photo isn't doing this. eVGA isn't doing this (for the people in their queue). And as far as I've heard Microcenter isn't doing this. They're responsible, good retailers.

New Egg is a piece of shit. If this is what they think of their customers - that we're just stupid marks there for them to rob and plunder as they see fit - then they need to be punished. Severely.

I will NEVER EVER buy anything from them again. Fuck New Egg.

Everybody needs to vote with their wallets, and show them what they think of this bullshit.

#neweggpieceofshit #fucknewegg
Lol.

I wouldn't mind the bundles if there were decent. Pairing a $6-800 Intel 4xx board is bull shit no doubt. I do t hate them for it. I haven't used NE much since I discovered MC years ago. They still generally the best place online for computer stuff.

Last edited:
Seem like a tradeoff, if I go on newegg.ca I can buy a rtx 3070 (via a pre-build system, if I go on bestbuy.ca it seem impossible to buy one.

What make him a better and more responsible retailer than the others, it is not like the possibility of both selling non overpriced, non combo video card at reasonable price and being available to buy for someone that want one (without a long waitlist system or lucky timing) is possible.

And selling hole system seem one of the best possible way to sell an high percentage of them to gamers (not that they should necessarily care that much but it happen to be a nice side effect of them maximising their sales, has that type of buyer is more likely to add a monitor, gaming mouse, etc... to that purchase and do it on the same platform than a miners/scalpers)

They still are good.
Yes they are still good and I still buy some stuff from them. But their prices are no longer competitive the way they used to be. Selection is still among the best, and I like their user reviews way more than the B/S I read on Amazon.

These days, I first look at B&H, even though their selection is more limited, because they don't charge sales tax and have two day free delivery (with their Payboo card), and I also look at Amazon just to check on price. So I would say that the Golden Age for Newegg is past.

[Note: only took part of the post from above for brevity. Please read entire post for context]

It's a ripoff. They're taking advantage of super high demand and ripping off their own customers - because they can. It's no different than selling flashlight batteries for $20 each during a blackout........... [Additional material in original post]
I am also a bit annoyed at the combo deals, but I think your argument may not be completely sound. Flashlights during a blackout is essential in many regards. High end video card is neither essential or necessary. I just checked and they do sell $3.99 flashlights. However, if those prices go up or if they decide to bundle those with fire starters, then it is on. :LOL:

Edit: Ahh, I read the post wrong. Flash light Batteries. I also confirmed those can be bought at around 3$ =). But I did see some sets that are pretty pricey, so you might be onto something =).

Last edited:
I havent shopped at screwegg in a decade plus, for many reasons. I knew they were doing this and it doesnt surprise me. So many of us who have been building for for decades literally, have probably call it quits with this company.

Okay, maybe video cards aren't "essential," in the normal sense, but to me they are.

Looking at the proposed specs a year ago before the RTX 3000 launch, I figured it was time to get into 4K gaming. Specifically, I was eying CP2077 and Microsoft Flight Simulator.

I've always liked eye candy. I've limped along on a GTX 980 (paired with a ROG Rampage VI Apex with a delidded Core i7 7820X @ 4.7 GHz) for the past 5 years. At 1440P, it actually did pretty well - one of the longest lived cards I've ever had. I could play most everything at decent settings.

So I went ahead and got a nice 4K monitor (Acer Predator 43") figuring I'd score a new RTX 3080 or 3090 when they hit the market. But then as they say, shit happened.

Now I'm screwed. The only game I can run on the new monitor at 4K is GTAV or Star Craft 2. Anything new, the GTX 980 chokes. So I have all these new games that I'd like to play but can't (unless I played them on low settings or whatever - screw that).

But regardless, this profiteering that New Egg is doing is bullshit. They're making a bad situation worse, and they should be made to pay for it.

You're obtuse if you think that the manufacturers aren't in on these combos.

lol, every company is overcharging for video cards, not just newegg...

lol, everyone is a rip off on video cards.

the only problem I have with newegg is their god awful shipping....

lol, every company is overcharging for video cards, not just newegg...

I paid $750 for a 6700XT at Microcenter a couple of weeks ago (my brother told me to get it and paid me back). I was surprised at the cost since I thought it was supposed to retail for $450.

I used to spend thousands every year at Newegg and then started using Amazon instead. Newegg got a reprieve from me when they opened will call at the Indy warehouse but I haven’t bought a single item from them since they killed will call a couple of years ago.

I paid $750 for a 6700XT at Microcenter a couple of weeks ago (my brother told me to get it and paid me back). I was surprised at the cost since I thought it was supposed to retail for $450.

I used to spend thousands every year at Newegg and then started using Amazon instead. Newegg got a reprieve from me when they opened will call at the Indy warehouse but I haven’t bought a single item from them since they killed will call a couple of years ago.
yep. I stopped using them when they screwed over hardocp forever ago.... and yeah I was at microcenter and they have the new 6900xt, a $999 msrp card, they were selling it for $1700 iirc.

"GTX 3080's are selling for $2500 on eBay, why are retailers charging me $1200 for them? That's $400 above 'MSRP'! Don't they know these things are only worth $800?" Get over it. The situation sucks, but frankly I think retailers are being generous by not raising prices more.

z.jpg

lol, everyone is a rip off on video cards.

the only problem I have with newegg is their god awful shipping....
Despite any critical comments I have made about Newegg, I have never had issues with their shipping. Mostly I check off the box "shipped by Newegg," and there are few third-party sellers I will buy from. ANTonline is one. Also Beach Audio. But for anything important, I never buy from some no-name company or "First From Asia."

yep. I stopped using them when they screwed over hardocp forever ago.... and yeah I was at microcenter and they have the new 6900xt, a $999 msrp card, they were selling it for $1700 iirc.
The only cards at those msrp are AMD branded cards. All the AiB cards are jacked up by the AiBs. You can see the AMD branded ones are still at msrp. They just rarely get them.

I have been using newegg since 2002 and still havent found an online retailer that competes with them in quality of product searches, description, images, etc. I have not had a bad experience with them and i build a few computers a year. I know this GPU shortage / high prices is frustrating but its not neweggs fault. I sold a pair of AMD 5700s for $900 each in 4 minutes. Newegg would be a fool to sell stuff at MSRP knowing it will be gone instantly. Also, tariffs are not their fault. If you want someone to blame, blame the people willing to pay over MSRP.

I guess anybody that doesn't give a shit if they get ripped off – well that's your choice. Me, it pisses me off. I'm not much for the capitalistic system, where companies like Newegg can rape and pillage at will. And everybody thinks it's just business as usual. That's not a business model I can support.

Oh yeah, I'm sure the manufacturers got their hand in the till as well. But it doesn't make it any better. I tend to expect the worst from big business.

To the extent possible, I choose to do business with companies that don't buttfuck me. Newegg doesn't even have the courtesy to give you some Crisco when they tell you to bend over...

#fucknewegg

I guess anybody that doesn't give a shit if they get ripped off – well that's your choice. Me, it pisses me off. I'm not much for the capitalistic system, where companies like Newegg can rape and pillage at will. And everybody thinks it's just business as usual. That's not a business model I can support.

Oh yeah, I'm sure the manufacturers got their hand in the till as well. But it doesn't make it any better. I tend to expect the worst from big business.

To the extent possible, I choose to do business with companies that don't buttfuck me. Newegg doesn't even have the courtesy to give you some Crisco when they tell you to bend over...

#fucknewegg
we give a shit but it's not a newegg specific thing....

I think it's best to assume that every company is always trying to rip you off. Loyalty to a certain company only benefits them, not you. Their goal as a company is to make money. Your goal as a consumer is to make smart purchases. Loyalty isn't part of the equation, aside from increasing the value of their brand so they can eventually sell the brand to a different company who will take advantage of that loyalty and milk it for all it's worth. That's what happened with newegg, and also why you still see long lost brands from 30+ years ago floating around. Those companies/brands were gutted and sold off, with their brand name whored out and attached to shady websites hoping that people will buy based on their familiarity with that brand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back