New Duke Nukem game in development at Gearbox.

Comixbooks

Fully [H]
https://www.tweaktown.com/news/8166...in-development-at-gearbox-software/index.html

Had 400+ hours with the Multi-player in the last game from 2011. 20210917_074839.jpg

Still hanging onto this dust buster from the Walmart launch.

Last edited:
While dnf was a huge let down for many reasons, I'm excited to see that the franchise is still being developed.

Given current trends in gaming and social norms, I just cant see how they can make a true Duke Nukem game. My bet is that the only thing this game will share with original Duke Nukem will be the name.

UPDATE: Gearbox is also making a Duke Nukem film, and it's possible Randy Pitchford was talking about this movie and not a new game.

Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/8166...in-development-at-gearbox-software/index.html

Last edited:
Please for the love of god keep this game as a REAL Duke Nukem game......Aliens and Hookers baby.

If it's a movie.....damn is all I can say lol

If it's a game im more interested to see if it will include the 2001 build of the game, they talked a while ago about including that as some sort of compilation bundle, maybe a new game could include it as bonus content?

Duke 3D's humor was amusing in 1996 because it was fresh...even if it was borrowed from 80's action movies. At this point, that schtick has been done (and parodied) to death. I don't think anyone can make a new game of it without heading into dad joke territory every few minutes. If that new Rise of the Triad ever comes out, it'll have the same issue. You can't put the genie back in the bottle. 20+ years later and everything that made you unique has been beaten into the ground and people have seen and done it all.

why doesn't Gearbox try developing something new instead of the same old Borderlands and Duke Nukem's...
They tried that with battleborn, it failed hard, like Anthem hard.

Let them make more Borderlands games, I like them, more of the same is not always bad (imo anyways).

Also they never realy made a Duke Nukem game, they bought the duke rights and DNF and put it together. They still need to make their first one from the ground up.

Given current trends in gaming and social norms, I just cant see how they can make a true Duke Nukem game. My bet is that the only thing this game will share with original Duke Nukem will be the name.

UPDATE: Gearbox is also making a Duke Nukem film, and it's possible Randy Pitchford was talking about this movie and not a new game.

Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/8166...in-development-at-gearbox-software/index.html

Those "trends" aren't as popular as people think. A lot of people think they're stupid and a new Duke game could stick with it's original theme and make fun of them.

The people into the SJW stuff would never play a Duke Nukem game so there are no lost sales there. And all the hate it would get from them would just be free advertising.

The Duke game we deserved

I'd honestly be surprised if it was much more than a series of short set pieces to make a good looking trailer. Would be interested to see just how much of it there was, but it's likely if they do release it at some point then gearbox would have added a lot to it.

In 2001 that trailer looked amazing, problem was they had an idiot in charge who hadn't a clue what he was doing.

Came across this on youtube showing some footage from that build:

I got down this rabbit hole the other day and read that iteration of the game was apparently 90% done before it was canned.

Until a certain fucking idiot I guess saw Doom 3 and they got off on a crazy rewrite, again because they clearly needed dynamic shadows.

I got down this rabbit hole the other day and read that iteration of the game was apparently 90% done before it was canned.

Until a certain fucking idiot I guess saw Doom 3 and they got off on a crazy rewrite, again because they clearly needed dynamic shadows.

Id doubt they were that far done with it, with all the engine changes and having to redo assets etc i'd be surpised if it was even half of the way done. Though that being said the 2001 trailer was the first time it had been shown for 3 years, back then a game usually took what, 18 months - 2 years to release if they were using an established engine. Broussard was such a moron, they had money in the bank and burned through it all and then literally had to go begging take 2 for money to finish it off. Even the game that gearbox finally released had a few levels that seemed like they were cut very short and the game felt really tacked together, just felt like they used the most finished levels and slapped together a game out of it.

Id doubt they were that far done with it, with all the engine changes and having to redo assets etc i'd be surpised if it was even half of the way done. Though that being said the 2001 trailer was the first time it had been shown for 3 years, back then a game usually took what, 18 months - 2 years to release if they were using an established engine. Broussard was such a moron, they had money in the bank and burned through it all and then literally had to go begging take 2 for money to finish it off. Even the game that gearbox finally released had a few levels that seemed like they were cut very short and the game felt really tacked together, just felt like they used the most finished levels and slapped together a game out of it.

That's exactly what they did. Their orders were finish it in x months. Basically the opposite of "when it's done”.

I dunno, apparently it was pretty far along.

https://www.dsogaming.com/articles/...-was-90-complete-had-rpg-and-horror-elements/

It sounds pretty wild.

I dunno, apparently it was pretty far along.

https://www.dsogaming.com/articles/...-was-90-complete-had-rpg-and-horror-elements/

It sounds pretty wild.

If true, i'd definitely be interested in playing it, though it has to be asked if it was virtually done why they restarted instead of releasing and starting work on another game. And if true it gives more credence to Broussard being a fucking moron.

But according to randy pitchfork whats in the dnf 2001 game is basically what was required to make the trailer:

Talks about it around 45:43 seconds in.

Last edited:
Yeah I dunno. One guy says the 90% build exists (and that he has a working copy that he wants to release, no less) and Randy apparently says nope.

It sounds pretty ahead of its time. The start of the game is bordering on survival horror, then it branches into a hub setup that makes it sound like Deus Ex Nukem.

Which is weird, but I guess I can see it.

Or it could just be horse shit. Who knows.

Back