New Dual Intel 2.8 for AMD something for 300 bucks?

marty9876

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - February 2006
Just curious what you all thought would make a better folder. I'll be putting a system together for a Marty Jr. soon I think(co-worker), I thought about an AMD something since I have zero AMD systems folding (of any merit) but the new dual core Intel 2.8 is not that expensive- 300 bucks.

So, what would make a better folder? 2.8 dual core intel or 300 bucks into an AMD cpu? It's gotta be the intel system by a mile right?

A far as folding goes, it would have to be the Intel system. Shit, if dual core procs are that cheap, I might have to think about moving my home boxen to the dark side.

Dual core or single core.. not a hard choice.... and I hope by co-worker you mean their kid.. I'd hate to think something reproduced with you. :eek:

[H]ugh_Freak said:
Dual core or single core.. not a hard choice.... and I hope by co-worker you mean their kid.. I'd hate to think something reproduced with you. :eek:

(continued from other thread)...three men in a tub ;) :eek:

Well, if you plan to invest in a Vapochill for the Intel system to keep the temps at 50C or less, it's a good choice... One Intel is quite a bit of thermal load, are you really sure you want two under one HSF?

The AMD dualcore, on the other hand, is only 10W more heat dissipation than the single core at the same speed. It's also a better engineered design, so it'll make a better computer if you plan to use it for anything but folding. (Heresy!)

unhappy_mage said:
Well, if you plan to invest in a Vapochill for the Intel system to keep the temps at 50C or less, it's a good choice... One Intel is quite a bit of thermal load, are you really sure you want two under one HSF?

The AMD dualcore, on the other hand, is only 10W more heat dissipation than the single core at the same speed. It's also a better engineered design, so it'll make a better computer if you plan to use it for anything but folding. (Heresy!)

Very valid point mage.

Maybe somewhere along the line I got confused, but since when does an Intel out-fold an AMD? My 2.2 gig XP’s crush my Intel 3.2, even with a gig of ram. I understand that at the moment QMD is a bit faster on Intel, but even Stanford admits as soon as they get the licensing straightened out with AMD for the software AMD will be back to a huge advantage again.

Heat output- It's in an office, I could less. My thoughts are Intel is not going to sell something that will overheat under stock (albit 100% load 24/7) load.

Dual core AMD's- I agree would be better. Will cost $600.00, this is $300.00. I can *hide* 300 bucks, 600 is kinda hard plus need to add at least the motherboard cost.

I'm not really up on the options currently, what from AMD for 300 bucks would be comparable? No way am I trying to start a flame war- lame. I'd like to get an modern AMD system since I don't play with them at all, however 5.4 GZH is attractive.

Just looking for input.

Na, Marty Jr. is what I'm calling my side kick @ work. I still got to figure this out, but just a good excuse to drop a grand on a cpu/mb/hd/ram for folding!!!!

newegg's listing of dual core procs

It looks like it'll be a while before I get an x2...

In terms of what's equivalent to the dualcore Intels, I'd say a Pentium 2 or a k6-2. They were similarly underengineered. :p I'm very set against buying an intel any time soon. Unless they get a decent processor to market soon they've lost a customer. (Hint: Pentium-M at 3 gHz in 775 form factor!)

<quote>
Dual core AMD's- I agree would be better. Will cost $600.00, this is $300.00. I can *hide* 300 bucks, 600 is kinda hard plus need to add at least the motherboard cost.
</quote>

You need to add a motherboard either way as current intel motherboards do not support the dual core cpu's. Almost all AMD 64 motherboards do support the Athlon 64 dual core.

Sworkhard said:
<quote>
</quote>

You need to add a motherboard either way as current intel motherboards do not support the dual core cpu's. Almost all AMD 64 motherboards do support the Athlon 64 dual core.

I don't have a AMD 64 motherboard currently so that's a wash.

unhappy_mage said:
newegg's listing of dual core procs

It looks like it'll be a while before I get an x2...

In terms of what's equivalent to the dualcore Intels, I'd say a Pentium 2 or a k6-2. They were similarly underengineered. :p I'm very set against buying an intel any time soon. Unless they get a decent processor to market soon they've lost a customer. (Hint: Pentium-M at 3 gHz in 775 form factor!)

P-M at 3GHz.. that wont happen for at least a year and a half if you look at current roadmaps. The K8 core, and the Hypertransport bus, was designed with multiple chip/core in mind... which is why the X2 beats the crap out of a P-D. A 32 stage pipeline doesn't make any sense. More then half the cycles are wasted, which mean more heat blah blah blah.. I could go on but every review seems to agree. The X2 wins hands down performance wise, just costs twice as much right now. Which is why a P-D at 2.8 is still a better buy for folding, right now, then any single core AMD. As much as I hate to admit that.

Back