New drivers incoming for RX 6000 GPUs

The biggest issue for me is the chrome/youtube hardware acceleration bugs (documented below). The other stuff was just annoying but not deal breakers.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/commen.../?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

I hope that the "new" release will actually fix these issues. Not sure why people who have issues, have to use modded drivers, when AMD should be fixing them.
AMD is making good money on CPU sales, there is really no excuse for the GPU drivers to be as bad as they are.
Smart Memory Access requires UEFI and if you are running an AMD CPU and GPU the adrenaline software can enable SMA which will disable legacy boot and turn on secure UEFI.

AMD advertises the tool MBR2GPT which is an in place conversion tool that lets you switch it and not require a rebuild. But it is not included in Adrenaline so that is a separate thing but good to know it exists.
MBR2GPT is built into Windows 10 build 1703 or later. You run it from an elevated command prompt, it's quick and works. Be a good idea to have a system backup first. You can view your Boot mode by running msinfo32, look for the BIOS Mode line.

To convert from MBR partition using Legacy Bios boot, to GPT and UEFI:
Open command prompt as Administrator
mbr2gpt /validate /allowFullOS
if the validation completes successfully, run
mbr2gpt /convert /allowFullOS

Return code 0 = success, if you get 100 you should still be ok.
Reboot, go into your BIOS, and change the boot from Legacy to UEFI.

Some bioses will have "Compatibility Support Module" enabled to allow Legacy Bios, that needs turned off. Chances are changing to UEFI boot will do that for you. Once UEFI is selected, you can also enable Resize Bar if the motherboard supports it.
Once you verify the OS boots normally, you can reboot, and go into the Bios again, and enable Secure Boot, this setting is required for Windows 11.
Note that this conversion is 1 way. To go back to a Legacy bios boot, you would need to restore your backup or reinstall the OS.

I converted mine a little over a year ago, no issues.

The cool thing about mbr2gpt, is that you can convert w2k12 or older windows versions with it. Bit of a process though, the file needs copied from a windows 10 install that has it, and then added to a winpe boot iso that will also need your storage drivers slipstreamed in. The WinPE needs to be win10 1703 (or later) or w2k16. But once prepared, you can boot to the iso and convert some older WIndows OSs from MBR to GPT, pretty slick.

Last edited:
23.2.1 was bad for me and my 7900xtx. Had to roll back. My PC is in 24/7. Would randomly find it off. Upon reboot, it would loop until I killed power (e.g. remove psu cable). Then it would boot, but not at the correct resolution. One more reboot and then I would be back up, at least until the next episode. Had to roll back as this was unsustainable.

This is the only deal breaking experience I've had in AMD for a long time, but it really did suck.

23.2.1 was bad for me and my 7900xtx. Had to roll back. My PC is in 24/7. Would randomly find it off. Upon reboot, it would loop until I killed power (e.g. remove psu cable). Then it would boot, but not at the correct resolution. One more reboot and then I would be back up, at least until the next episode. Had to roll back as this was unsustainable.

This is the only deal breaking experience I've had in AMD for a long time, but it really did suck.
That's a bummer. On the flip side, 23.2.1 so far *seems* to have stopped the driver timeouts I was getting on my 6800 when I put the computer to sleep when Minecraft was running, although I want to give it another week.

Video playback seems fixed.

Mouse pointer still dissappears when I mouse over the address bar in Edge.

No new issues.

Last edited:
As is usually the case, when AMD says the 6900/6950 XT gets performance improvements, it usually means the entire 6000 series. A little of that fine wine.

time stamped for 6650 XT

Fine wine drivers have always made me feel like AMD just leaves too much performance on the table on their hardware for years before they are able to finally get around to making proper drivers. But, to each their own. :confused:

These drivers seem to have enough issues that I'm going to hold off for now. I'm already using GPT which negates the biggest issue but if it's trying to enable SAM I'm not sure how it would handle my motherboard which supports it but still needs a bios update before the setting is actually added, I'm holding off on that for now because there's some drawbacks with the newer BIOS versions and I might just build a new main system when the new 3d cache CPUs launch.

Fine wine drivers have always made me feel like AMD just leaves too much performance on the table on their hardware for years before they are able to finally get around to making proper drivers. But, to each their own. :confused:
Except that they set their prices based on launch performance making any improvements a bonus. It's less helpful if you don't keep your cards for very long but it can be nice to get meaningful performance improvements down the road if you do.

These drivers seem to have enough issues that I'm going to hold off for now. I'm already using GPT which negates the biggest issue but if it's trying to enable SAM I'm not sure how it would handle my motherboard which supports it but still needs a bios update before the setting is actually added, I'm holding off on that for now because there's some drawbacks with the newer BIOS versions and I might just build a new main system when the new 3d cache CPUs launch.

Except that they set their prices based on launch performance making any improvements a bonus. It's less helpful if you don't keep your cards for very long but it can be nice to get meaningful performance improvements down the road if you do.
What issues are you talking about?
AMD's drivers have had a toggle for SAM, for a long time. But, if your motherboard doesn't have it set in the bios, the toggle shouldn't be available at all, in the driver control panel. Even if it is for some reason available, obviously it won't work when your Bios has it turned off or doesn't even have the feature at all.

Ultimately, the toggle in the driver control panel is there, so that you can easily disable/enable SAM based on the game your are playuing, without having to go into your BIOS.

What issues are you talking about?
AMD's drivers have had a toggle for SAM, for a long time. But, if your motherboard doesn't have it set in the bios, the toggle shouldn't be available at all, in the driver control panel. Even if it is for some reason available, obviously it won't work when your Bios has it turned off or doesn't even have the feature at all.

Ultimately, the toggle in the driver control panel is there, so that you can easily disable/enable SAM based on the game your are playuing, without having to go into your BIOS.
There's a couple mentions of SAM and resizable BAR in the bios updates. One was a re-size BAR option that was added in one. "2. Offer a Re-size BAR Support option to enhance GPU performance.", and another talks about adding SAM support for 3000 series"- Support Smart Access Memory for Ryzen 3000 Series Processors" Ryzen though that's not what I have so I'm not sure how that all works out either.

It's been awhile since I looked into SAM and updating the BIOS so I also don't recall what held me back and I'll have to figure all that out again which is why I'm holding off until at least the 28th when I can make a more informed decision on which direction I want to go. I'm also running a slightly older AGESA code and Windows 10 version which I'll have to bring in line if update the BIOS. I'm going to have to do all of that if I throw a 5800x3d in this board and I really should anyway but I'd rather not open that can of worms right now if I build a new system and this one gets relegated to a backup at the end of the month.

Edit: As far as the issue I mentioned it was just that people mentioned that it was changing bios settings related to SAM or resizeable bar and I wasn't sure how that would work for my situation.

Last edited:
And most simply forget that Nvidia's drivers also increase performance over the years because it doesn't sound as nice.

Going to respectfully disagree. Paying as much as AMD has been asking as of late for lower overall performance as compared to their competitor just to top it off with feeling like I paid year or two in advance for performance that was hidden away just doesn't sit right with me no matter how you slice it.

And most simply forget that Nvidia's drivers also increase performance over the years because it doesn't sound as nice.
Incremental increase in performance is part for the course. I don't think any one has an issue with that, but Nvidia rarely if ever gets large performance jumps with a driver update especially on aging hardware, sometimes with newer hardware which is somewhat less agregious. For the most part increases come little by little as they squeeze as much juice out of a stone as they can, and I personally think that is fine.

Incremental increases in driver updates on AMD I am okay with as well, but big performance increases 2 years after release just make me think they weren't even trying for that whole duration.

I don't know, maybe I'm just tired of the BS videos with smug faces pretending we should be praising a corporation for doing something they should have done since launch. But hey, that's just me.

Going to respectfully disagree. Paying as much as AMD has been asking as of late for lower overall performance as compared to their competitor just to top it off with feeling like I paid year or two in advance for performance that was hidden away just doesn't sit right with me no matter how you slice it.
Nobody should ever buy based on future performance and if they bought a card because they were happy with the price to performance ratio then I fail to see how it's a bad thing to get more performance later for free. I'm not taking the bait on the rest of your comment.

It's not so much hidden, as unknown, you think they wouldn't put out the best drivers possible out the gate if they could to make those NDA launch day charts as big as possible?
It really comes down to the fact the driver teams for both Red and Green teams only get a few months with the finalized hardware to make the drivers while still working on maintaining the existing hardware sets.
Both teams see incremental increases in performance over time, AMDs driver increments just seem larger because they release fewer performance-related driver updates, but by year-end, they both see some statistically significant increases over time but it is obvious that some specific titles get far more impactful improvements than others.
For reference between the 3000 series launch day and the 4000 series launch day the RTX 3000 series saw an average increase of about 13% across the board, certainly not a bad thing at all. Still waiting for the AMD equivalent of those tests with the new drivers, given their age I assume those are still in various stages of production.

Last edited:
I am happy to report that, so far, all of my issues have been fixed with the latest update. :)
Do you happen to have 7000 series or 6000 series?
My friend was using 22.11 driver for his ASRock RX 6600 and since the installation back in December, he encountered 1x BSOD & 1 driver timeout before that greenscreen appeared. Last week I suggested him to update to 23.2 and so far so good.

Do you happen to have 7000 series or 6000 series?
My friend was using 22.11 driver for his ASRock RX 6600 and since the installation back in December, he encountered 1x BSOD & 1 driver timeout before that greenscreen appeared. Last week I suggested him to update to 23.2 and so far so good.
I have a 6600, no issues so far.

As is usually the case, when AMD says the 6900/6950 XT gets performance improvements, it usually means the entire 6000 series. A little of that fine wine.

time stamped for 6650 XT

New video with more games. Its titled as looking at RT performance. But, it also includes Non-RT performance. For both 6650 XT and 6800.

AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition 23.2.2 Release Notes
https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-23-2-2

Highlights​

• Support for:
    • Atomic Heart™
    • Company of Heroes™ 3
      • Up to 13% increase in performance for Company of Heroes 3 @ 4k, using AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition™ 23.2.2 on the Radeon™️ RX 7900XTX, versus the previous software driver version 23.2.1 RS-528
      • Up to 14% increase in performance for Company of Heroes 3 @ 4k, using AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition™ 23.2.2 on the Radeon™️ RX 7900XT, versus the previous software driver version 23.2.1 RS-529
      • Up to 9% increase in performance for Company of Heroes 3 @ 4k, using AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition™ 23.2.2 on the Radeon™️ RX 6950XT, versus the previous software driver version 23.2.1 RS-530
      • Up to 9% increase in performance for Company of Heroes 3 @ 4k, using AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition™ 23.2.2 on the Radeon™️ RX 6800XT, versus the previous software driver version 23.2.1 RS-531
      • Up to 7% increase in performance for Company of Heroes 3 @ 4k, using AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition™ 23.2.2 on the Radeon™️ RX 6650XT, versus the previous software driver version 23.2.1 RS-532

Fixed Issues​

• Corruption may be briefly observed when moving Netflix video between displays or minimize-to-fullscreen on some AMD Products such as AMD Ryzen™ 7 6800U.
  • Maximum encode bitrate is limited to 100Mbps for certain applications.
  • AMD Bug Report Tool pop-up or system hang may be observed after driver upgrade on some hybrid graphics notebooks.
  • Application crash may be observed while playing Hitman 3™ with ray tracing settings enabled.
  • Valve Index® VR headset may show a blank screen with 144Hz refresh rate setting on Radeon™ RX 7000 series GPUs.
  • Certain videos played with Movies and TV may briefly show corruption when moving the window between displays on some AMD Graphics Products such as AMD Radeon™ RX 6700 XT.
  • Situational performance drop may be observed in DirectX® 11 based games on Radeon™ RX 6000 series GPUs using Ryzen™ processors.

Known Issues​

• High idle power has situationally been observed when using select high-resolution and high refresh rate displays on Radeon™ RX 7000 series GPUs.
  • Video stuttering or performance drop may be observed during gameplay plus video playback with some extended display configurations on Radeon™ RX 7000 series GPUs.
  • Application crash may be observed while opening Premium Gold Packs in EA SPORTS™ FIFA 23.
  • Some virtual reality games or apps may experience lower-than-expected performance on Radeon™ RX 7000 series GPUs.
  • Brief display corruption may occur when switching between video and game windows on some AMD Graphics Products such as the Radeon™ RX 6700 XT.
  • Metrics overlay may intermittently re-size to 50% after gameplay.
  • Corruption may be observed in Returnal™ in certain scenes with ray tracing enabled on Radeon™ RX 6000 series GPUs.

23.2.2 working very nicely with 6000 and 7000 GPU's for me. VR performance still listed as an issue but 23.2.2 has fixed my VR issues almost completely. Still doesn't connect the first try every time but waaay better than previous driver.

23.2.2 working very nicely with 6000 and 7000 GPU's for me.
I haven't seen a driver stall on my 6800 since the 23.2.1 driver, although neither it nor the .2 update fixed the issue with Disgaea 2 PC where all the text is black boxes.

I also can't play modded Minecraft post 1.16--crashes within seconds of joining the world--but I don't know where the fault lies there.

discovered that starting with this driver (and subsequent releases), it would push my PSU over the edge. I was teetering at the edge of what it could do prior, and apparently this driver changed the behavior of the card to tip it over, and thereby cause system instability. Upgraded PSU, and no issue with this one or any of the newer driver packs.

they use to. i can't remember the last time i've seen an performance improvement driver from nvidia, except only for a specific game that was recently released. they use to do it seemed like at least once a year to where it was like a massive improvement? i have heard of performance getting worse though for old cards.

i've gotten to the point that as long as everything's working good i don't even mess with them. heck i wanted to mess around with 3d vision because i found out they had gotten it working w/ win10 but had to install an old driver. i forgot about it and had it installed for who knows how long and didn't really make a difference. can't remember why i even changed it back

they use to. i can't remember the last time i've seen an performance improvement driver from nvidia, except only for a specific game that was recently released. they use to do it seemed like at least once a year to where it was like a massive improvement? i have heard of performance getting worse though for old cards.

i've gotten to the point that as long as everything's working good i don't even mess with them. heck i wanted to mess around with 3d vision because i found out they had gotten it working w/ win10 but had to install an old driver. i forgot about it and had it installed for who knows how long and didn't really make a difference. can't remember why i even changed it back
Well, if you look at the 3000 series cards on launch and on day 1 of the 4000 series they are something like 10-15% faster across the board.

discovered that starting with this driver (and subsequent releases), it would push my PSU over the edge. I was teetering at the edge of what it could do prior, and apparently this driver changed the behavior of the card to tip it over, and thereby cause system instability. Upgraded PSU, and no issue with this one or any of the newer driver packs.
Just to issue correction. issue did NOT go away with new PSU. Absolutely nothing wrong with AMD drivers as well. I had internal wifi antennas that shifted during install of 7900xtx and were causing an intermittent ground out causing the issue. So 100% USER_ERROR. I'm getting too old for this crap.

Took some getting used to the blue colored theme, but I've been using the pro drivers without issue. (granted I don't push my setup with the latest games, VR, etc... )

1684338208429.png

The one remaining problem I had with my 6800 was that if I had two Edge windows open, every once in a while the one I wasn't actively using would go completely white. It wasn't unresponsive, it was like the background was erased prior to a redraw, and then the redraw never happened. Usually it would fix itself after a few seconds, but not always. Some searching suggests it's a problem with having hardware acceleration on in the settings, so I disabled that and haven't seen it since. Haven't had a driver timeout or crash or video scrambling since the 23.2.1 (or whatever I mentioned a while back) drivers.

hell my drivers with my vega 56 were 4 years old by the time i replaced the card with my 6800. when shit works whats the point given all the games i play at this point are 5+ years old. one day something new will come out that's worth playing.

The one remaining problem I had with my 6800 was that if I had two Edge windows open, every once in a while the one I wasn't actively using would go completely white. It wasn't unresponsive, it was like the background was erased prior to a redraw, and then the redraw never happened. Usually it would fix itself after a few seconds, but not always. Some searching suggests it's a problem with having hardware acceleration on in the settings, so I disabled that and haven't seen it since. Haven't had a driver timeout or crash or video scrambling since the 23.2.1 (or whatever I mentioned a while back) drivers.

windows does something weird with multiple displays and hardware acceleration. had the same problem with chrome as well ever since i switched to w10 whether it was nvidia or AMD so i've just always left hardware acceleration off. it's not like i'm on some low power ultra book so there's no reason to have it on anyways imo.

Back