New drivers incoming for RX 6000 GPUs

1_rick

Supreme [H]ardness
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-has-not-forgotten-radeon-rx-6000-gpus-new-drivers-incoming

"AMD promises to release new drivers for its Radeon RX 6000 series and prior generations of graphics processors within a couple of weeks. The statement comes after the company did not release drivers for its previous GPUs over the past two months as it focused on the new Radeon RX 7000 series. "

erek are you excited? I know I am--I'd love it if they'd make my occasional driver freeze go away.
Those who know.

I recently posted about the current state of AMD drivers (on another site) for my 6600 and all of the AMD fanboys came out of the woodwork. All I want is a working driver.

I recently did a fresh install of Windows 11 with a XFX 6600. Wow the desktop performance is TERRIBLE and buggy. I had to regress to a much older driver (22.5.1) to be able to play youtube without freezing up chrome. Moving windows, with a multi monitor setup, is super laggy and there is a strange stutter when playing certain games.

I knew AMD drivers were bad but I had no idea they were still this bad. I will believe it when I see it.

I recently posted about the current state of AMD drivers (on another site) for my 6600 and all of the AMD fanboys came out of the woodwork. All I want is a working driver.

I recently did a fresh install of Windows 11 with a XFX 6600. Wow the desktop performance is TERRIBLE and buggy. I had to regress to a much older driver (22.5.1) to be able to play youtube without freezing up chrome. Moving windows, with a multi monitor setup, is super laggy and there is a strange stutter when playing certain games.

I knew AMD drivers were bad but I had no idea they were still this bad. I will believe it when I see it.
yeah, thats not normal but its also not a universal issue. try the omega driver.

weird, i legit just removed my vega 56 and installed my 6800 and haven't had a single issue even though i was expecting to have to do a fresh driver install. didn't have to change a single setting. the only thing i'd recommend is check in the drivers if freesync is enabled if your monitor doesn't support below 48hz freesync. i can't remember which driver version it was but it randomly enabled it and caused any video at 30fps playing to feel laggy on my secondary display which has a 48-70hz range. i disabled it and had no issues after that. also check if radeon chill is enabled, it use to be enabled by default back when i first installed my vega 56 but don't know if they ever changed that.

weird, i legit just removed my vega 56 and installed my 6800 and haven't had a single issue even though i was expecting to have to do a fresh driver install. didn't have to change a single setting. the only thing i'd recommend is check in the drivers if freesync is enabled if your monitor doesn't support below 48hz freesync. i can't remember which driver version it was but it randomly enabled it and caused any video at 30fps playing to feel laggy on my secondary display which has a 48-70hz range. i disabled it and had no issues after that. also check if radeon chill is enabled, it use to be enabled by default back when i first installed my vega 56 but don't know if they ever changed that.
The biggest issue for me is the chrome/youtube hardware acceleration bugs (documented below). The other stuff was just annoying but not deal breakers.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/commen.../?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

I hope that the "new" release will actually fix these issues. Not sure why people who have issues, have to use modded drivers, when AMD should be fixing them.

The biggest issue for me is the chrome/youtube hardware acceleration bugs (documented below). The other stuff was just annoying but not deal breakers.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/commen.../?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

I hope that the "new" release will actually fix these issues. Not sure why people who have issues, have to use modded drivers, when AMD should be fixing them.
i used to have to turn off hardware excel but its been working fine since the fall. maybe give it another try. they will fix them, just not as fast as people want...

oh, i've had hardware acceleration disabled in chrome since google added the feature. was buggy as heck on nvidia drivers back then so i've just always disabled it. useful feature back when cpu's sucked, pointless now with modern cpu's.

oh, i've had hardware acceleration disabled in chrome since google added the feature. was buggy as heck on nvidia drivers back then so i've just always disabled it. useful feature back when cpu's sucked, pointless now with modern cpu's.
Wow. I had no idea this was my issue with youtube videos sometimes giving me a black screen for a bit in fullscreen. Turned it off in brave and everything works fine now. Glad I happened to look at this thread lol.

i used to have to turn off hardware excel but its been working fine since the fall. maybe give it another try. they will fix them, just not as fast as people want...
I would classify that as basic functionality and should have been addressed a long time ago. Unacceptable in my opinion.

except as posted above, it just takes the load off the cpu, its not really needed anymore.
Yeah, no noticeable performance decreases. I'd rather turn off things I don't need anyways for less points of fault. As the other guy said even his Nvidia drivers at some point didn't like it on.

except as posted above, it just takes the load off the cpu, its not really needed anymore.
Not true, I can tell a difference with hardware acceleration off, although it's subtle.

The good thing is this; I know now how crappy AMD drivers are and it doesn't matter how many people defend them and I will not be purchasing another AMD GPU in the distant future. It's just unfortunate because I wish there was real competition.

Although nVidia's drivers have issues, they haven't broken basic functionality for me yet.

...Moving windows, with a multi monitor setup, is super laggy and there is a strange stutter when playing certain games...
Do your monitors have different refresh rates? I have experienced problems with certain combinations in the past, such as one 60Hz and one overclocked to 67Hz.

Do your monitors have different refresh rates? I have experienced problems with certain combinations in the past, such as one 60Hz and one overclocked to 67Hz.
Has nVidia fixed the bug yet where when you do that, your GPU fans spin up and down constantly?

Has nVidia fixed the bug yet where when you do that, your GPU fans spin up and down constantly?
No, but it is much better, and if you are doing anything on the second screen (the one labeled as not the primary) that uses hardware acceleration then it doesn't seem to happen at all. It is only noticeable when the non-primary screen is both on and doesn't have anything active happening on it

I think amd's drivers/software is great. I used to be obsessed with everything being all bloatd and full of useless crap, but have come to appreciate the tweakability that they include. It's all very convenient, foolproof, and just works.
I haven't had an nVidia card for years, so I wouldn't know.
I haven't had an nVidia card since 2003, seriously! :D

It is only noticeable when the non-primary screen is both on and doesn't have anything active happening on it
Good! I have an EVGA 2070 with zero-RPM fans and until I set both monitors to the same refresh rate, it would hold the temperature right at the threshold where the fans came on, so they'd spin up for 2 seconds, then shut down for 30, all day long. Wildly annoying, because when starting, they'd make a sound that sounded like they were unbalanced. I even sent it back to EVGA to make sure it wasn't broken.

Good! I have an EVGA 2070 with zero-RPM fans and until I set both monitors to the same refresh rate, it would hold the temperature right at the threshold where the fans came on, so they'd spin up for 2 seconds, then shut down for 30, all day long. Wildly annoying, because when starting, they'd make a sound that sounded like they were unbalanced. I even sent it back to EVGA to make sure it wasn't broken.
Yeah my 3080TI does it, I just reach over and turn the second monitor off, or move the YouTube video I’m passively listening to over to it instead. I originally thought it was a system fan or something until I cracked the case open and watched it happen. At least if the fans are already on then there isn’t anything but that initial spin up buzzes and sounds like a wire is touching a blade and it would piss me off.
|
Edit: I should note that for me this is an EVGA issue not an Nvidia one, because it's only my personal EVGA cards that do this the Gigabytes I use at work don't show that behavior and neither do the PNY (I originally said Palit, but that's wrong I get them confused)ones.

Last edited:
No, but it is much better, and if you are doing anything on the second screen (the one labeled as not the primary) that uses hardware acceleration then it doesn't seem to happen at all. It is only noticeable when the non-primary screen is both on and doesn't have anything active happening on it
You know, I've never had that issue. Hell, I didn't even know it existed. Most likely because I always have discord up on my secondary and it has hardware acceleration on. Here to hoping Nvidia fixes it for those affected sometime soon.

You know, I've never had that issue. Hell, I didn't even know it existed. Most likely because I always have discord up on my secondary and it has hardware acceleration on. Here to hoping Nvidia fixes it for those affected sometime soon.
Yeah keeping discord there will prevent it, and like I said I think it is more an EVGA problem and only if your monitors are running different refresh rates, because my Gigabyte and PNY cards don't exhibit this behavior but that is anecdotal.

Yeah keeping discord there will prevent it, and like I said I think it is more an EVGA problem and only if your monitors are running different refresh rates, because my Gigabyte and PNY cards don't exhibit this behavior but that is anecdotal.
When I looked into it, people were calling it an nVidia problem, and said it'd already been around for years. But I didn't spend a lot of time, because workarounds were available (in my case, it was an excuse to replace my second monitor with one with a higher refresh rate, to match the primary one. :) )

The latest AMD drivers froze and reset on me a week ago.

Surprising. I haven't had this happen before on either any of my AMD or NV cards.

Otherwise, I'm pretty neutral on AMD/NV as far as drivers go at the moment. My last infuriating/gamebreaking experience with drivers was having a Radeon 9600SE refuse to run Warcraft III properly.

I'm sure I'm not representative of the whole since other people are experiencing driver issues, but overall I'm going to guess both AMD and NV have had their fair share of driver problems, but they likely work for the vast majority.

When I looked into it, people were calling it an nVidia problem, and said it'd already been around for years. But I didn't spend a lot of time, because workarounds were available (in my case, it was an excuse to replace my second monitor with one with a higher refresh rate, to match the primary one. :) )
Yeah on the EVGA forums and Reddit the issue goes back years but also looking at the Reddit signatures they mostly have the same 4 letters. All I can say for certain is my non EVGA cards don’t do this and I have a lot of systems with mismatched refresh rates and resolutions.

New driver! Stolen from reddit. Looks like many of the issues I was having are "fixed". Will have to try them out!

AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition 23.2.1 Release Notes​

renderTimingPixel.png

News
Highlights
  • Support for:
    • Forspoken™
      • Up to 7% increase in performance for Forspoken @ 4k, using AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition™ 23.2.1 on the Radeon™️ RX 6950XT GPU, versus the previous software driver version 22.11.2 RS-524
    • Dead Space™
    • IREE compiler using MLIR interface on Vulkan.
    • Additional Vulkan® extensions. Click here for more information.
  • Radeon RX 6000 Series GPUs now have support for newly introduced streaming capabilities including pre-filter toggle, pre-analysis feature and CAML technology.
  • A new version of AMD Link improves overall connectivity across all supported Radeon products, RX 400 series and newer, so you can game from anywhere on virtually any device.
  • Boost your performance with AMD Software - read the latest blog HERE and learn how this newly unified driver delivers performance gains since Windows 11 first launched.
  • Game Optimizations
    • Up to 4% increase in performance for Marvel’s Spider-Man Remastered @ 4k, using AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition™ 23.2.1 on the Radeon™️ RX 6950XT GPU, versus the previous software driver version 22.11.2 RS-518
    • Up to 3% increase in performance for Sniper Elite 5 @ 4k, using AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition™ 23.2.1 on the Radeon™️ RX 6950XT GPU, versus the previous software driver version 22.11.2 RS-519
    • Up to 6% increase in performance for Shadow of the Tomb Raider @ 4k, using AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition™ 23.2.1 on the Radeon™️ RX 6950XT GPU, versus the previous software driver version 22.11.2 RS-520
    • Up to 7% increase in performance for Quake II RTX @ 4k, using AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition™ 23.2.1 on the Radeon™️ RX 6950XT GPU, versus the previous software driver version 22.11.2 RS-521
    • Up to 4% increase in performance for Hitman 3 @ 4k, using AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition™ 23.2.1 on the Radeon™️ RX 6950XT GPU, versus the previous software driver version 22.11.2 RS-522
    • Up to 6% increase in performance for Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy @ 4k, using AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition™ 23.2.1 on the Radeon™️ RX 6950XT GPU, versus the previous software driver version 22.11.2 RS-523
    • Up to 19% increase in performance for F1 2022 @ 4k, using AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition™ 23.2.1 on the Radeon™️ RX 6950XT GPU, versus the previous software driver version 22.11.2 RS-525
    • Up to 9% increase in performance for DOOM Eternal @ 4k, using AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition™ 23.2.1 on the Radeon™️ RX 6950XT GPU, versus the previous software driver version 22.11.2 RS-526
    • Up to 4% increase in performance for Borderlands 3 @ 4k, using AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition™ 23.2.1 on the Radeon™️ RX 6950XT GPU, versus the previous software driver version 22.11.2 RS-527
    • Up to 4% increase in performance for Hogwarts Legacy @ 4K using AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition™ 23.2.1 on the Radeon™️ RX 6950 XT and Radeon™ 7900 XTX, versus the previous software driver version (22.11.2 for 6950 XT, 23.1.2 for 7900 XTX) RS-530
Fixed Issues
  • AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition may fail to launch with the error message “Delayed Write Failed” on Microsoft® Windows® 11 version 22H2.
  • Poor performance and load time may be observed while playing SpaceEngine™.
  • Corruption may be observed while scrolling the points shop in STEAM™ on Radeon RX 6000 series GPUs.
  • Performance drop may be observed during Fortnite™ and YouTube playback with Enhanced Sync enabled on some AMD Graphics Products such as AMD Radeon™ RX 5700 XT.
  • Corruption or game crash may be observed while playing Door Kickers 2™.
  • Missing or flickering textures may be observed while playing Emergency 4™.
  • Application crash may be observed when launching Baldur's Gate 3™ using Vulkan® API on Radeon™ RX 7000 series GPUs.
  • Stuttering may be observed while playing Sea of Thieves™ on Radeon™ RX 6000 and above series GPUs.
  • Corruption may be observed while playing Battlefield™ 4 with Post Process Quality settings set to high or ultra on Radeon™ RX 6000 and above series GPUs.
  • White foliage may be observed while playing Hogwarts Legacy™ on Radeon™ RX 7000 series GPUs.
  • Intermittent system stuttering or UI flickering may occur when two videos are simultaneously playing using chromium-based browsers on some multi-display configurations.

So fun side effect for AMD CPU users who are also using a 6000 series GPU with these drivers, it may modify your boot order, so lots of users reporting an inability to boot their systems after the drivers install as well as lots of reports of Windows installs being corrupted after changing the boot order back requiring a full OS reinstall.
So be safe out there.

So fun side effect for AMD CPU users who are also using a 6000 series GPU with these drivers, it may modify your boot order, so lots of users reporting an inability to boot their systems after the drivers install as well as lots of reports of Windows installs being corrupted after changing the boot order back requiring a full OS reinstall.
So be safe out there.
These are the types of issues that steered me away from AMD GPUs for over a decade now. Nvidia isn't without issues, but by and large they have way fewer and way more benign issues than AMD.

So be safe out there.
This seems a lot like what happened to me trying to install 22.11.2 drivers over the last weekend. After it happened the second time, I installed the 22.5.1 driver without issue. Haven't had driver problems with AMD or Nvidia in years, bummed these recent Radeon drivers are apparently much more widely problematic. Nvidia has nothing to compete with the 6700XT in the <$400 range right now.

how does a gpu driver alter the bios boot order?! that doesnt make and sense...
great source to ;)

how does a gpu driver alter the bios boot order?! that doesnt make and sense...
great source to ;)
Smart Memory Access requires UEFI and if you are running an AMD CPU and GPU the adrenaline software can enable SMA which will disable legacy boot and turn on secure UEFI.

AMD advertises the tool MBR2GPT which is an in place conversion tool that lets you switch it and not require a rebuild. But it is not included in Adrenaline so that is a separate thing but good to know it exists.

23.2.1 WHQL drivers, rough ride on the 7900 XTX. Driver installation recommended factory reset, complied. No video output to LG C2. Reset CMOS, still no video output to the LG C2 on startup, not even for the bios. Pulling HDMI cable and plugging it back in gave a signal to the LG C2 but was missing part of the top and bottom of the bios image but enough to set bios to my profile. Upon next startup into windows, same thing, no display output until unplugging and plugging back in the HDMI cable with Windows missing part of the top and bottom.

Driver then installed automatically after the above and no problem rebooting from there. Everything now looks normal again??? Will see how these drivers pan out. This is really not acceptable, will hold off updating the 6900 XT.

I didn't have the bios issue with this driver, I did have an issue with it back around July or August 2022 doing the same thing and changing boot, and my pin number being no good anymore to log into my desktop, had to reinstall windows. So, my fix and Windows 11 was my Mobo bios needed to go back to (06/17/2022) and leave it. So far all my Windows updates have worked and AMD drivers have worked.

This 23.2.1 WHQL drivers didn't change anything to my Mobo bios (B550), everything is up and running fine with 06/17/2022 bios.

I didn't have the bios issue with this driver, I did have an issue with it back around July or August 2022 doing the same thing and changing boot, and my pin number being no good anymore to log into my desktop, had to reinstall windows. So, my fix and Windows 11 was my Mobo bios needed to go back to (06/17/2022) and leave it. So far all my Windows updates have worked and AMD drivers have worked.

This 23.2.1 WHQL drivers didn't change anything to my Mobo bios (B550), everything is up and running fine with 06/17/2022 bios.
What I've found weird is the lack of video to even the bios via HDMI (don't know if DP would be OK) even after resetting CMOS, cold boot. The 7900 XTX would not sync with the LG C2 or have an output unless the cable was unplugged and plugged back in. After the drivers loaded it now can go into the bios upon startup. Anyways that is the first time I saw that, usually going into the bios from the video card is a given and the driver issues start with Windows loading.

What I've found weird is the lack of video to even the bios via HDMI (don't know if DP would be OK) even after resetting CMOS, cold boot. The 7900 XTX would not sync with the LG C2 or have an output unless the cable was unplugged and plugged back in. After the drivers loaded it now can go into the bios upon startup. Anyways that is the first time I saw that, usually going into the bios from the video card is a given and the driver issues start with Windows loading.
I've had two really long black screens in the install process of my 7900 xtx that took so long I thought something was wrong but then it finally finished booting normally after skipping the main bios flash screen. I believe that the first time was when I first put the card in and didn't have any drivers installed but it might have been right after first installing the drivers. My original PSU wasn't up to the task so I put my old card in for a week and when I put the new card back in I was having an issue with the control panel not loading so I uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers using the factory reset option and when the pc restarted got stuck on a black screen for a minute or two before booting normally. When I installed the drivers the second time without a factory reset I didn't get that black screen, this was all with the 23.1.1 drivers on the new card and 22.9.2 on the old.

The LG C series has a small history of similar issues, the internet is very happy with the 3.21.45 firmware fix. Supposedly in previous versions, HDMI CEC is broken and leads to weird issues many sounding similar to yours. Users were reporting a need to unplug and plug back in the HDMI cables on the XBox Series X consoles for previous firmware versions and that problem has been fixed with the new version. If you dig through the menu and disable CEC controls on the C2 you can see if that fixes it before doing the firmware update, assuming of course you have CEC on (I believe it is on by default) and that you haven't done the firmware update to the C2 already.
Reddit seems slightly divided on the issue some blaming LG, others Microsoft, and others the choice in HDMI cabling... AV forums are just toxic, bleh, but it does not appear that your problem is too uncommon I don't see anybody mentioning the 7900 series directly as it is generally the wrong sort of place for that but its worth a shot if your still looking for the cause/fix.

Reactions: noko
like this
  • Intermittent system stuttering or UI flickering may occur when two videos are simultaneously playing using chromium-based browsers on some multi-display configurations.
FINALLY. Its been like 4.5 months for this issue. And its not only when two videos are playing simultaneously. It can happen with any video, at all. Even an animated Bing/Edge new tab page. I will be testing these drivers tonight!

FINALLY. Its been like 4.5 months for this issue. And its not only when two videos are playing simultaneously. It can happen with any video, at all. Even an animated Bing/Edge new tab page. I will be testing these drivers tonight!
Yeah! I haven't had a chance to install them but please report back if you find it fixed that issue since I had the same issue.

Back