New Display Time - I can't keep up

yodafunk

n00b
A sign I'm not the young tech I once was. I have started looking to upgrade my display at home and honestly the market makes my head spin. The last time I did this It was easy. I just bought the biggest LCD I could afford that still received decent feedback on newegg. Ended up with a 28" ASUS for like $250 , but that was like 4 years ago and the quality is serviceable and it has served me well.

Anyway. I'm in the market again and I'm just looking for whatever advice is around. I know for sure I don't want to go any smaller than my existing 28". Usage will be casual. Web, games some casual, some AAA. My current video card is a GTX960 and its doing a pretty solid job at 1080p.

I'm open to going 4k, but don't know if my hardware can really back that up yet. Future proofing isn't terrible either to get the desktop space and scale down games if that works. I'm really interested in the idea of 21:9, curved or otherwise.

I know TN has come a long way, but I'm more about image quality over super refresh and response time, so I'm thinking IPS is the way to go. That being said I might consider sticking to a decent TN to get G-Snyc. Honestly I've never seen it in action, but it sounds wonderful. I've often wondered if refresh, flickering etc have given me headaches.

Well there you go. I know you guys get this post a million time, but I appreciate your collective knowledge. Let me know if you have any questions. I'll be happy to answer.

I just picked up a 34" 3440x1440 ,21:9 curved monitor, a couple months ago... I'm pretty damn happy about it.

Previously I had gamed on 27" 1080p panels, both TN and IPS. but only at 60hz...

I have overclocked my monitor to 75hz, but I couldn't tell much of a difference. 60 is fine for me. If I didn't get the 34", I probably would have gone for a 27-28" with a higher refresh rate... I'd be glad to answer any questions...

Hrmm yeah that is a spec that has got my interest as well. I'm assuming you are gaming at native res? which card do you use? any adaptive sync in that monitor?

yep.. native res most of the time. Every once in a while, I find a game that does not like 3440x1440.. Havn't had any major issues with a single 970gtx. my dell u3415w does not have adaptive sync. but I believe there are a couple that do now...

Back