new dfi 965p-s, wont post

bcracer220

Gawd
hi guys,

i just got a brand new dfi 965p-s to replace my asus p5b deluxe that was giving me all sorts of wierd problems. the problem is after setting up everything, even with the instruction manual, when i press the power button all of the fans spin up at normal speed for 5 seconds, then the video card goes to 100% fan speed (7900gto) and nothing appears for the boot. ive tried the card in both slots and nothing changes. my specs are as follows:

xeon 3060, 632a
965p-s dark
2gb ocz reaper 800mhz
seagate 320gb SATA hard drive
Sony CD-RW
MSI 7900GTO
Corsair HX 520 PSU
intel stock cooler for now, just to get it up and running

btw all the parts worked fine in my p5b deluxe, and the only thing i have extra is a spare psu to test with.

please help, i really need to be on my computer! i think every1 else can understand that feeling

thanks in advance

I just went throught the same thing yesterday on this MB, My post is down a few below yours.

OK here is what I did I pulled Plug and the Battery out, moved the Cmos jumper to clear and let it sit over night, Now if you have 2 Gigs of ram in the MB, remove one gig before booting up and see if it will post for you.

I hope this helps you .............. The funny part with mines was I put it together and formated got it all setup and did not use it for a week and when i went too boot it up thats when it started doing this to me :( But it's running again after doing this so give it a try.

alright apparently that mobo doesnt support xeon cpu's, nor with any bios update. pretty dumb if u ask me, its an e6600 basically. anyways, what is the best mobo under 130 (prefarebly from newegg) for this chip to get to 3.6 ghz at 401fsb. my p5b deluxe cant do it because the northbridge overheats. thanks in advance

bcracer220

alright apparently that mobo doesnt support xeon cpu's, nor with any bios update. pretty dumb if u ask me, its an e6600 basically. anyways, what is the best mobo under 130 (prefarebly from newegg) for this chip to get to 3.6 ghz at 401fsb. my p5b deluxe cant do it because the northbridge overheats. thanks in advance

bcracer220
That makes perfect sense to me, the Xeon is a server processor, not a workstation processor. There do seem to be some motherboards that support Xeon's as well as Core 2 Duo's, but you won't necessarily find one for under $130.

There's a Supermicro mb at the link below for $144...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...Subcategory=302&description=&Ntk=&srchInDesc=

There are quite a few open box specials that are cheaper... Good luck!

That makes perfect sense to me, the Xeon is a server processor, not a workstation processor.

Thats an interesting statement. I wonder how you could explain to me why my HP xw8400 "workstation" came with Dual Xeon 5160s?

The Xeon processor is most definitely a server processor, but is also extremely beneficial in high end workstations.

That makes perfect sense to me, the Xeon is a server processor, not a workstation processor. There do seem to be some motherboards that support Xeon's as well as Core 2 Duo's, but you won't necessarily find one for under $130.

There's a Supermicro mb at the link below for $144...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...Subcategory=302&description=&Ntk=&srchInDesc=

There are quite a few open box specials that are cheaper... Good luck!

This board certainly does support Xeon CPUs as long as they are LGA775 and the 3060 Xeon CPU is LGA775. Clear your cmos for an hour or so and remove 1 stick of memory then reboot.

Back