New Deus Ex 3 gameplay vid: thoughts?

Things that I did not like.

The stealth kills and non lethal attacks. Do you really need to sneak up on a guy and stab him multiple times and get blood everywhere and call that stealth? Looks cartoonish and silly. A sleeper hold for stealth or a neck snap, throat slit, or knife to the base of the neck would all be cooler.

Glowing shit. Really need to be able to turn this off. Your game should be intuitive because it is well made not because you light up all the possible paths, that is not exploration!

Stupid cover system, see around walls you are STUCK to! Why not a lean... because this is a port.

Jerky stupid 1st/3rd person transition.

The ragdoll of the bodies. Limbs have weight and there are these called knees and muscle a leg even a dead leg does not just flop around.

Just a thought, but when I played Portal with the developer commentary on, I was really impressed with how much thought they put into how players will see and think about a certain situation. I only remember being frustrated at one or two points in the game because I didn't know what I was doing, and that amount of frustration is acceptable, especially in a puzzle solving game.

Deus Ex may not be a puzzle solving game like Portal was, but it sure as hell has puzzle solving elements in it. They may not be able to put the amount of thought into the environment that Valve put into Portal's, so I'd say they should go a little further in making useful objects stand out, and maybe even as far as mild highlighting. I am very much against them giving away the possible solutions in such a blatant way.

ITS ALL YELLOW AND GLOWING.

Stop highlighting stuff...I can figure out where to go on my own. This isn't Mirror's Edge. Oh, wait...it is.

Still, looks fun...

LOL at this thread.

Problems with the game so far.

1) The evil item highlighting.
2) Oh my god there's a cover system!
3) For a brief moment, a 3rd person graphic shows the character's action. Unacceptable!
4) Too yellow.
5) Why are there bonfires everywhere? Is everyone on strike?
6) The Original Deus Ex was, like, oh my god, The Second Coming, and can never be made better. In fact let's not even try to make a new game, let's just remake the first one, because, well, the golden age of gaming was ten years ago when there was no item highlighting, or any of that ridiculous shit, and gamers were content to spend an hour searching for an item that was needed to advance the game.
7) Huh? It's a console port? Pass.
8) (My personal favorite) Wow, that ladder animation is going to get old real fast.

Did I miss anything? Maybe we could send this to Ubisoft or whichever fucktards are responsible for this abomination?

They're legit complaints because the game developer stated at the very beginning that they were going to bring the game back to its PC roots. In some ways they have, but they've also broken their promise not to consolize the gameplay.

I don't think this game is going to be bad, but it looks like they decided to streamline it rather than keep the great complexity the original game had. Modernizing it for the console crowd was a bad move. Profits over creativity rules again.

looks like crap so far, but whether it is a good game or not will depend on the story and atmosphere... I doubt it will be as deep as the original.

I think this one is no longer a must buy, but more of a wait and see - as sad as that is.

Don't let the trolls rile you up guys. For those of us that played and loved the original, the issues that have been mentioned are big sticking points that can really affect the outcome of the way we play the game. From the video, that looked more like the Deus Ex 1 training missions than anything else. Really limited, just there to give you a general idea. Lets hope the rest of the game doesn't exhibit that same shit. Would someone also please turn off the glow on their way out? Thanks...

looks like glowing shit to me

This. I have never been as disappointed in game footage as this. I was expecting DX11 goodness. Instead all I see is a game that looks like it's 4 years old and uses shit headed spoonfed "Click the glowing thing to climb because your IQ is too low to understand the concept of using ladders" game mechanic. Seriously? What year is this?

Don't give me that bullshit "it's only beta footage, wait until the release" argument. The game is going to be exactly as you see. I want to see examples of other games footage released in the past where people said the game looked like shit and then the game looked better when they released it. I don't know of any. Consolitus rears its ugly head again. 4 years before the next Xbox release and that means we will get stagnant looking and boring gameplay for the foreseeable future because there isn't much innovation going on in the graphics department except in a few cases. BF3 can't come soon enough.

ps, first time I have ever canceled a preorder.

I was very disappointed with the size and scope of the level shown. It looked much more like the bite-sized consolized areas of DX2 than the massive areas of DX1.

Total genius of them to choose to showcase the first gameplay trailer by choosing a level that is...

ladders and crates.

FPSs are so creative aren't they?

From the Eurogamer article, written by a person who has actually spent time playing the game. What's amazing here, is that he basically anticipated this very thread, and foresaw exactly how gamers would react.

"In this era of re-energising the brands that once made PC gaming great (Fallout, XCOM, Deus Ex), there is a level of cynicism that simply has to be expected. These games are simultaneously being made to cater for those who know and love the old games, and to a wider (console) audience of youngling innocents.

There will always be people caught in the crossfire, and they will always set comment threads aflame with vocal disappointment and irritation. When a community has already been singed with a lacklustre sequel then it's a phenomenon that's doubly understandable.

All of which makes it slightly hard for me to whisper that Deus Ex: Human Revolution appears to be on track to being a faintly mind-blowing experience, wrapped up in a truly fascinating vision of the future.

Despite the design tweaks and despite the streamlining, this is truly a Deus Ex game - made by people who know what that means.

Could it all fall apart? Might the developers talk the talk, but not perform the Denton strut? Well, we've all seen it happen before - but as long as the game is given the development time it needs then my gut feeling implicitly states otherwise. The renaissance within Deus Ex: Human Revolution may well stretch further than the confines of its game world."

From the Eurogamer article, written by a person who has actually spent time playing the game. What's amazing here, is that he basically anticipated this very thread, and foresaw exactly how gamers would react.(snip)
PC Gamer and RockPaperShotgun have said similar things. It's a change but they argue that long-time fans will be able to enjoy it. I'm definitely anxious to play it. Must wait and see until we get closer to August. I'm sure a lot of this polish and tweaking that they do will make it better.

Plus, as I mentioned earlier, the biggest complaint would be the constant switching between first and third person. I've been fine with that type of switch in the past (Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath) but this only serves to make me motion sick. At least that's something that can easily be fixed by the community. :cool:

Edit: Additionally, some games allow you to turn off tips and help. That might get rid of the "everything's glowing." Additionally, this is obviously a tutorial / intro level. It will most likely not hold your hand through the entire game. I agree that much of the "up in arms" should quietly simmer until we get a little closer to launch.

Additionally, some games allow you to turn off tips and help. That might get rid of the "everything's glowing." Additionally, this is obviously a tutorial / intro level. It will most likely not hold your hand through the entire game. I agree that much of the "up in arms" should quietly simmer until we get a little closer to launch.

That would go a long ways right off the bat.

I said it earlier but I guess people didn't read or see. about the glowing shit, it was a design decision the devs said and there is no way to turn it off.

I said it earlier but I guess people didn't read or see. about the glowing shit, it was a design decision the devs said and there is no way to turn it off.
The devs might not turn it off, but I'm sure a mod or hack will take care of it. Seems like a really odd decision on their part to leave it on because many games let you turn off the hand holding shit.

The simple answer to the problem of old fans vs newbs is incredibly simple. Noob mode.

Noob mode is toggle in the menu and comes toggled on for the consoles by default and off by default for the PC. Noob mode includes highlighting of important objects such as physics enabled objects, objects you can interact with and collectables such as ammo. It should add on screen hits for when to reload, when you can hop from cover to cover, it should also add similar HUD hints for close by grenades and add things like that unrealistic grenade/bullet smoke trails to help identify where you're shooting and the arc on grenades.

That stuff is PISS EASY to modify, fan mods tend to do this sort of stuff in a matter of weeks after the release of games, why should the fans of the series be left to fine tune this stuff when professional developers could implement this sort of thing in a few weeks + testing.

The backlash on forums over this sort of thing would drop to be almost non-existant and we'd get the best of both worlds, both the original fans of the series and the inept gamepad wielding monkeys who need their hands holding would get a good game out of it. As a percentage of the total development time, tweaking this sort of mode would require a tiny fraction of that, it's hardly different to say something like pre-set graphics options, in fact some of these things like highlighting are already available in games such as with enemies in Crysis and object highlighting in Mirrors edge.

It's not done because the developers simply DO NOT GIVE A SHIT, they see the biggest audience and cater to them primarily and everyone else can simply put up with it because as long as they'remaking the majority happy who the hell cares about the other guys?

What really fucking grinds my gears is that this stuff is so trivial to change, these massive AAA games have huge studios with hundreds of employees and it would take 1 decent coder a few days to set up the suggested fix above and engineer disabling the effects for it, half of this stuff you can simply drop down the console and run a command to disable/remove, you could write an alternate ini/cfg file for it pretty easily and have a button to swap in game, there's so many ways of building this kind of system in game easily without spending resources on it.

Sorry but it makes me so mad, these development studios act so retarded sometimes it actually makes my brain hurt. There's probably a whole bunch of modders who they could bring on board as unpaid help in exchange for beta testing access, they could knock this shit together and it wouldn't cost them a dime. Ugh, use your fucking head developers!

OK and I have to add one more thing because this drives me fucking nuts...To add to the stupidity of the situation a lot of these issues get repeated over and over and over and over again in the gaming world, how many times have we seen an FPS games now with stupid low FOV and then a whole bunch of PC gamers complain about it, engineer a community fix of some kind? It happens all the fricken time and nothing ever gets done about it, it's the stupidest loop we're all stuck in going round and round like retards unable to change anything, ugh.

^^^ it really is crazy that the devs don't just put in a switch that turns off the highlighting.

The third/first person stuff I can sort of understand because that would require a ton of asset creation (first person hand animations for the kills, for example.)

But the glow has got to be relatively trivial to kill. Not including an option to disable it has the stink of some egotistic producer or designer who's decided the glow is important to the experience and needs to be retained.

OK and I have to add one more thing because this drives me fucking nuts...To add to the stupidity of the situation a lot of these issues get repeated over and over and over and over again in the gaming world, how many times have we seen an FPS games now with stupid low FOV and then a whole bunch of PC gamers complain about it, engineer a community fix of some kind? It happens all the fricken time and nothing ever gets done about it, it's the stupidest loop we're all stuck in going round and round like retards unable to change anything, ugh.

i hear you loud and clear man, the same shit drives me crazy. Even for a PC dev as solid as GSC who makes the stalker series, their games still have to be tweaked with scripts which changes dll's and all this bs just to make a FOV switch. The ONLY game i actually can remember right now which had a FOV slider is Quake Live/Quake 3. I'm sure 4 had it too.

The option menu, guys. Never neglect the option menu.

+1. This is one of my biggest complaints. It never seemed to be a problem until game devs went multi-platform. All of the sudden a FOV of 65 was considered the norm and you needed to find a fix for it.

They never did figure out how to change the FOV in Singularity. What makes this even sadder is Raven Software made the game, but basically gave the finger to PC gamers, who were their core fan base for several years.

Sorry but it makes me so mad, these development studios act so retarded sometimes it actually makes my brain hurt. There's probably a whole bunch of modders who they could bring on board as unpaid help in exchange for beta testing access, they could knock this shit together and it wouldn't cost them a dime. Ugh, use your fucking head developers!

This is exactly what I've wanted to say all these years. I'm sick of this shit that's now prevalent on all games nowadays. I do not think it is the developers fault though; they are taking their marching orders from the asshole publishers, who don't know shit about making games, only trying to make a quick buck.

Either way, they should know..no, REALIZE. We're talkin' 'bout Deus Ex here. DEUS EX. We ain't talkin' 'bout Gears of War, we ain't talkin' 'bout Assassin's Creed. We talkin' 'bout DEUS EX. Get a damn clue. :mad:

Item highlighting is a simple way of communicating information to the gamer as to avoid confusion.

Simple and lame, sure.

If, for example, there are boxes all over the place, but only one or two of them are active

Well, in that case I do believe we have encountered a problem with the design. Surely all boxes are created equal? Perhaps the design can be reworked without boxes at all? That'd be novel. That or we could start out with a crowbar for quick destruction. It's the popular choice.

That information needs to be clear to me, and in this title it's clear.

Most games handles this deep conundrum by using a button you can press to highlight things. This way everyone's tastes can be satisfied. Well, except for people who spend more time worrying about how OTHER people are playing the game than they are about playing the game themselves, but those people are CR-AAAA-ZY.

Now, I had a problem with the takedowns. If you slash someone multiple times (hardly a stealh move) so that blood spatters everywhere during the non-interactive animation, and then drag the body away, I expect some sort of blood residue/trail on the ground for an eventual guard to react to.

I also liked how there were apparently an electrical fire up there on the overwalk. Why? Maybe it's explained, else I'm going with "because that was convenient for our lazy level design". It's like something out of an 90s shooter. "And here's a pit of FIRE for you to navigate across".

Hopefully this was just something set up as a demo.

Last edited:
The bad electrical hazard and fire can probably be explained by the fact that rebels took over the building your busting into.

Read the first page of this thread. Saw a lot of emo crying about blah blah blah, elitist talk.

Watched the demo. Saw what you basically see in ANY modern video game whether it be the 1st level or throughout the whole game.

Dont worry elitist I'm sure like just about any modern game that does the whole highlighting thing, there will be an option to turn it off. Because of course game difficulty is completely dependent upon whether if or not the game tells you, "this object is an interactive environmental object but that object over there isnt."

I swear I wish I could return to the time when elitist didnt exist in such numbers.

I swear I wish I could return to the time when elitist didnt exist in such numbers.

I must have missed the bulletin as to when/how being an elitist was a bad thing.

Anyways, what time period are you thinking about when there were "less elitists?"

As more people see the bar lowered I can assure you'll be seeing/hearing more "elitists" but hey, see that red X up in the far right corner of your screen? That's how you can solve the problem for yourself. :)

I see some overdone whining in a number of threads around here but I also see plenty of constructive criticisms and concerns from people that don't want to see a series continue to decline down into watered down tripe. When you put the name "Deus Ex" on the line that's going to get attention and put certain expectations on the table.

Why is this difficult or somehow "offensive" to people such as yourself?

I guess even I'm an "elitist" at that rate. Another word that simply has been way overused and lost much of its meaning.

I must have missed the bulletin as to when/how being an elitist was a bad thing.

Anyways, what time period are you thinking about when there were "less elitists?"

As more people see the bar lowered I can assure you'll be seeing/hearing more "elitists" but hey, see that red X up in the far right corner of your screen? That's how you can solve the problem for yourself. :)

I see some overdone whining in a number of threads around here but I also see plenty of constructive criticisms and concerns from people that don't want to see a series continue to decline down into watered down tripe. When you put the name "Deus Ex" on the line that's going to get attention and put certain expectations on the table.

Why is this difficult or somehow "offensive" to people such as yourself?

I guess even I'm an "elitist" at that rate. Another word that simply has been way overused and lost much of its meaning.

Well said.

Well said.

well said huh? Just another one of those mindless sheep that follow what ever the mass says and does. Only saw a feel orginal posters in here and not much else.

By the way I have a red circle is that still the same thing as your red x? Just pulling your leg ;)

Fact, the "good ole" days of pc gaming, werent that good... I read through the rest of the 6 pages of mindless drivel, I really should've stopped at page 1 but oh well, and I agree with most of what Wabe said. Not everything but most of it. I loved the good ole days of gaming! 40hr+ games ftw! Spent most of it doing mindless shit to figure out what was next but hey hey thats still 40hrs of "game play"!:rolleyes:

One can only hope that they reconsider the option for toggling the yellow highlights so those of you that like a harder experience can have at it, so that you can secretly re-enable it when no ones looking and then come back here talking about how you beat the game without the useless baby coddling features! Mean while the rest of us can opt out of the useless frustration and actually enjoy the game experience.

But there were some worthwhile points brought up that I observed as well. The cover system is a lil to easy mode, silly, and just not even remotely trying to be somewhat realistic. The "press X to blah or blah" not a big pet peeve of mine but at the same time its like, "Really? Deus Ex needs to borrow game ideas from other games, so blatantly?"

And then the complaints about the random fire and wheres the blood is about as mind numbing as the proverbial question of why is the sky blue.

Seriously, maybe instead of telling me to click the lil red x or circle maybe you all should! Everyone in here is a critic. I dont think any of you's made one positive remark about the game in 6 pages!

R
Dont worry elitist I'm sure like just about any modern game that does the whole highlighting thing, there will be an option to turn it off. Because of course game difficulty is completely dependent upon whether if or not the game tells you, "this object is an interactive environmental object but that object over there isnt."

This is a DEUS EX game. Did you read that? DEUS FUCKING EX. Pretty much all of the environmental objects should be interactive in some manner.

well said huh? Just another one of those mindless sheep that follow what ever the mass says and does. Only saw a feel original posters in here and not much else.

Someone may not agree with you and the insults start flying. C'mon.

By the way I have a red circle is that still the same thing as your red x? Just pulling your leg ;)

Hope so. The opening to your post sure doesn't look very good natured. :(

Fact, the "good ole" days of pc gaming, werent that good... I read through the rest of the 6 pages of mindless drivel, I really should've stopped at page 1 but oh well, and I agree with most of what Wabe said. Not everything but most of it. I loved the good ole days of gaming! 40hr+ games ftw! Spent most of it doing mindless shit to figure out what was next but hey hey thats still 40hrs of "game play"!:rolleyes:

I've been gaming for over 30 years. I probably could pile up plenty of criticisms from the good ole days on both PC and consoles as well as good things same as now.

Top of my head examples of bad on the PC: Remember trying to get a floppy disc update for a game?

Boy, the pre Windows days were something else. Crossing over from Dos to Windows was also something else. Tough transtitons and such.

Long distance phone call for any tech support or even the most basic of game hints. On and on I can go.

I can assure you that I don't view the past with rosey colored glasses. ;)

One can only hope that they reconsider the option for toggling the yellow highlights so those of you that like a harder experience can have at it, so that you can secretly re-enable it when no ones looking and then come back here talking about how you beat the game without the useless baby coddling features! Mean while the rest of us can opt out of the useless frustration and actually enjoy the game experience.

But there were some worthwhile points brought up that I observed as well. The cover system is a lil to easy mode, silly, and just not even remotely trying to be somewhat realistic. The "press X to blah or blah" not a big pet peeve of mine but at the same time its like, "Really? Deus Ex needs to borrow game ideas from other games, so blatantly?"

And then the complaints about the random fire and wheres the blood is about as mind numbing as the proverbial question of why is the sky blue.

Seriously, maybe instead of telling me to click the lil red x or circle maybe you all should! Everyone in here is a critic. I dont think any of you's made one positive remark about the game in 6 pages!

I think some of that complaining is overblown. Certainly if those features are user controllable in a menu or even via an .ini file that really should be the end of that problem.

I've said let's wait and actually see/play the final product. I'm simply not doing cartwheels over what I've seen so far.

I want this game to be good. :)

Hope so. The opening to your post sure doesn't look very good natured. :(

It was meant to silence the lambs that pretend to be lions. I dont mind well thought out, witty, criticism to my posts, but "well said":mad: Really?

Well shucks you got my 20 beat with your 30. Lost me at the floppy updates, caught me with the dos to windows.

Yes yes I can understand no cartwheels, and appreciate that sage wisdom that says, "Well hows about some patience?" but I'm seeing way to much wah wah over such small stuff.

@anonmoniker

I get you completely. Set the bar high right? Every "high anticipated game of the year" yada yada bs marketing should live up to the hype and the legacy of games past, right? Well sadly some times in the real world you gotta set that bar low and hope, highly unlikely, that the publisher/developer surprises you. It would be nice though if DE3 was the best thing since slice bread. And even better if ME3 was the next best thing since DE3! And then if D3 was better than ME3!

Sad when all of the games you look forward to are games in a trilogy. Didnt even mention SC3 or MW3. I might have to hit that red x button in the corner after all.

He said clearly in the interview that there is an external team working on the game due to logistics and the studio simply not having enough manpower to handle all the versions at once, I don't think that necessarily means those additional developers are creating a more tailored game for the PC, it's simply not being made entirely in house.

"Elitists" are created when you have an industry standards which are then shredded to pieces by external factors, lowing the quality of the games made compared to their predecessors.

There is a tendency for some gamers (primarily console gamers in my experience) to think that elitist PC gamers are just people who like to scoff at this that and the other simply because they're elitist, however the reality is that games used to be better, and the introduction of multi platform development has lowered the quality of a lot of our games, and we want to see a return to higher quality games.

It's like if the next halo game was made for consoles and say mobile phones, and of course it would be shit, even by console standards, so the console gamers would whine that the quality has decreased because it has to be simple enough to run on a mobile phone as well as a console. Then the mobile users turn around and call the console gamers elitist for wanting all these fancy graphics and things.

Matter of perspective, being top of the quality chain, PC gamers have the most of it, and the most amount to lose from shoddy development.

I think that's SOME kind of good news here.

"Elitists" are created when you have an industry standards which are then shredded to pieces by external factors, lowing the quality of the games made compared to their predecessors.

There is a tendency for some gamers (primarily console gamers in my experience) to think that elitist PC gamers are just people who like to scoff at this that and the other simply because they're elitist, however the reality is that games used to be better, and the introduction of multi platform development has lowered the quality of a lot of our games, and we want to see a return to higher quality games.

It's like if the next halo game was made for consoles and say mobile phones, and of course it would be shit, even by console standards, so the console gamers would whine that the quality has decreased because it has to be simple enough to run on a mobile phone as well as a console. Then the mobile users turn around and call the console gamers elitist for wanting all these fancy graphics and things.

Matter of perspective, being top of the quality chain, PC gamers have the most of it, and the most amount to lose from shoddy development.

More or less how I've always seen it.

sort of reminds me of the discussion going on at another A/V forum I frequent about the best HDTV...Pioneer Kuro owners are the ones labeled as the elitists for constantly going on about how great their sets are and how no other set has come close to matching its picture quality 3 years after they stopped making plasmas...while Panasonic, Samsung etc are left trying to catch up with the myth of the Kuro

I'm more worried now as they don't have a stellar record when it comes to the games they developed- the Netherlands-based developer has assisted on ports of Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light, Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days, and Tomb Raider Underworld :rolleyes:
The PC versions of those games were all very good ports.

Back