New details on PlayStation 5 emerge, will release globally "Holiday 2020"

Armenius

Extremely [H]
WIRED magazine has the exclusive story going into some more details on the console. There a few clarifying tidbits on what has been circulating around the internet, but not much in the way of any specifics. The console is officially called "PlayStation 5."
  • Ray tracing will be hardware accelerated
  • Game installation will be configurable, for example allowing you to only install the multiplayer component of a game
  • The UI will be completely revamped and "modern" including live activity feeds for game servers and progress
  • The controller continues with the DualShock design, but now includes haptic feedback features such as those seen with the Nintendo Switch along with "adaptive triggers"
  • The GPU will be able to leverage machine learning algorithms that are starting to pop up in the PC gaming market
  • At least one developer is more excited about the "speed of everything" and "immediacy" than graphics technology in the next console generation
https://www.wired.com/story/exclusive-playstation-5/
https://blog.us.playstation.com/201...next-gen-playstation-5-launches-holiday-2020/

At least one developer is more excited about the "speed of everything" and "immediacy" than graphics technology in the next console generation

Wasn't this from an EA exec going all crazy over the always on concept? That won't fly for people who want to play offline or single player only.

I am excited. I have owned every US playstation available. Plan to ask the wife for this for Christmas next year.

This is exactly the same as the last update in May, just with more information on the controller.

We already knew the release date.

I would expect nothing less than a complete gutting of the launcher, just like they did with the PS4 over the PS3.

The AI running on GPU is a given, since they continued offering double-speed FP16 on Navi.

Really, this is just a promo piece to make sure you folks haven't forgotten.

Still interesting to hear why they needed to duplicate assets so much and slow down the player

I mean... they are essentially x86 computers now from AMD... hard to mess up.

If anyone can mess it up, Sony can.

With the hardware inside the current and next-gen Xbox and Playstation being so similar, surely developers won't need to focus as much time on optimizing for specific platforms' hardware? It'll mainly be software/OS-level?

Still interesting to hear why they needed to duplicate assets so much and slow down the player
They put artificial barriers that stop player from proceeding farther while games still load. Like a door won't open til the area beyond it finishes loading. Instead of game pausing or getting a load screen. Makes a more seamless transition. With the PS 5 the door can open instantly and allow the player to enter. It is a old trick for optical disc based games.

They put artificial barriers that stop player from proceeding farther while games still load. Like a door won't open til the area beyond it finishes loading. Instead of game pausing or getting a load screen. Makes a more seamless transition. With the PS 5 the door can open instantly and allow the player to enter. It is a old trick for optical disc based games.
upload_2019-10-9_9-26-46.png

vyIq6L9.gif

upload_2019-10-9_9-27-47.png

upload_2019-10-9_9-28-15.png

I just want VRR and better resolution support (1440p since I play on my PC monitor a lot, ultrawide would be awesome but probably not feasible), and also PS1-PS3 BC. No reason why they can't software emulate those earlier consoles, esp. when a lot of games I want to play from then aren't even available on PSN or PS Now to re-buy if I wanted to.

Depending on what exclusives or even remasters of PS4 exclusives are available at launch, I might pick one up at launch, but I typically try to wait for a revision or two for better noise/cooling that typically come within a year after launch when they make a slightly tweaked newer model. Also, that's about how long it takes for them to come out with a must-buy exclusive, like Horizon ZD 2 would be for me.

machine learning has many guises

one of which is on the fly tuning of number generators which are of great use in...everything?.....computing/computers wise...

Wish them luck, I do, however was not all that long ago that Sony PROMISED and DELIVERED backwards compatible ps1-2 -3 (depending)

but seems just as quick they outright remove/kill the "niceness" to upsell/resell stuff....

I am not in a rush to buy much of anything as of late (oven is already full and cooking)
optimistically the checklist of "look at what we offer" will be as they claim AND work proper from the get go (no pulling of the proverbial rug from under the feet)

________

Thanks for the information you have discovered and posted o7

Considering how the UI's have gone for the PS4 and Xbox One, I'm a little concerned about their "modern" UI with a bunch of feeds and needless info assuredly trying to sell something.
I just want to be able to play games and/or watch videos in as few steps as possible. I don't need a bunch of news feeds and couldn't care less about game server statuses and such. I can Google that if I need to know it and I certainly don't need it cluttering things up all of the time. Give me the Xbox 360 blades or even the final version of the PS3's UI.

Considering how the UI's have gone for the PS4 and Xbox One, I'm a little concerned about their "modern" UI with a bunch of feeds and needless info assuredly trying to sell something.
I just want to be able to play games and/or watch videos in as few steps as possible. I don't need a bunch of news feeds and couldn't care less about game server statuses and such. I can Google that if I need to know it and I certainly don't need it cluttering things up all of the time. Give me the Xbox 360 blades or even the final version of the PS3's UI.
Sony's isn't that bad but I hope they don't go the way of xbox. I just want a minimalist UI that I can customize with what is shown.

These are great. But have you gone back and tried the game on a system with NVME? I did... those elevator rides are positively snappy! I don't even get witty cross talk between NPC's on the elevators.
Yes, but we're talking about consoles. It was nice of the developers though to not put a minimum time on elevator rides so it goes as fast as it can load on the PC.

Wasn't this from an EA exec going all crazy over the always on concept? That won't fly for people who want to play offline or single player only.

Nope, it's Bluepoint, they talk about the high speed ssd with the file format allowing a real seamless world without having to put those small cutscenes of opening /closing doors, small weird hallways and caverns that hide loading times.

Nope, it's Bluepoint, they talk about the high speed ssd with the file format allowing a real seamless world without having to put those small cutscenes of opening /closing doors, small weird hallways and caverns that hide loading times.

That's a much better feature that is mirroring the power of PCs.

If anyone can mess it up, Sony can.

With the hardware inside the current and next-gen Xbox and Playstation being so similar, surely developers won't need to focus as much time on optimizing for specific platforms' hardware? It'll mainly be software/OS-level?

one is directx and the other is gmn. I doubt either change much for next generation aside from adding raytracing

It has to do with how traditional spinning hard disks work. In general, accessing a contiguous block of memory (meaning files all right next to each other on the disk) is faster than accessing the same files spread out along physical memory locations.

So imagine that there is a common asset that is used throughout each level (let us say the generic bad guy 1 in a game). If you are on level 5 but the enemy first shows up in level 1, when you are loading the 5th level it would be faster to just duplicate the enemy 1 file next to the files for level 5 rather than having the HDD head seeking back and forth between distant parts of the memory (level 1 and level 5).

This is a similar idea to why defragmenting a harddrive can improve performance speed. And also why SSDs do not suffer from this problem since they can load files in random locations without penalty.

That's a much better feature that is mirroring the power of PCs.
Seamless load times aren't a feature mirroring the power of PCs, it's a programming technique that has been used for years.
RE1 remake on the Gamecube did that back in 2002. ;)

I do know what you mean, though, and the PS5 is definitely more capable of that.

I suppose if you only have one day off a year, then thats the day to release it. Can anyone tell me what the date of this holliday in 2020 is then?

so it's more powerful then Xbox One X?

Going by rumored specs, ps5's GPU should be between 50-60% more powerful than what's in xbox one x (think rx 580 vs. 5700 xt). The CPU will be several magnitudes more powerful. And it sounds like storage (and load times) will be faster as well.

There were some clarifications in this article such as hardware level RT support. I still think the UI will be similar to the PS4 UI just with expanded information and launch options.

Digital Foundry is assuming the SSD will be soldered into the motherboard which I hope is not the case. I don’t see why it would need to be with PCIE 4.0 to get up there in R/W performance. It would also make expanded storage difficult or overly complicated.

I see a few options:

Soldered 1TB SSD w/ I/O management for external HD somehow

Soldered 1TB SSD w/ internal M.2 NVME support for future expansion

Proprietary M.2 type interface and proprietary SSDs sold

Normal PCIE M.2 interface and SSD

I think they go with the last option but who knows at this point.

Going by rumored specs, ps5's GPU should be between 50-60% more powerful than what's in xbox one x (think rx 580 vs. 5700 xt). The CPU will be several magnitudes more powerful. And it sounds like storage (and load times) will be faster as well.

Well, the XBox Next (What I like to call it) should be right around where the PS5 will be. Should be an interesting season at that point. The fact is, if Nvidia keeps pushing their pricing upwards, that will simply cause the console market to surge, but by how much is anyone's guess, once the new ones are released.

There were some clarifications in this article such as hardware level RT support. I still think the UI will be similar to the PS4 UI just with expanded information and launch options.

Digital Foundry is assuming the SSD will be soldered into the motherboard which I hope is not the case. I don’t see why it would need to be with PCIE 4.0 to get up there in R/W performance. It would also make expanded storage difficult or overly complicated.

I see a few options:

Soldered 1TB SSD w/ I/O management for external HD somehow

Soldered 1TB SSD w/ internal M.2 NVME support for future expansion

Proprietary M.2 type interface and proprietary SSDs sold

Normal PCIE M.2 interface and SSD

I think they go with the last option but who knows at this point.

I hope it's the last option. The PS3 & 4 support regular HDDs, so hopefully they continue that trend. If they go proprietary then it'll be disappointing.

something I find interesting, is the lock AMD has on console hardware, you would think that Intel would have at least tried to muscle into that area, but I suppose the Eternal suck that is Intel graphics keeps them from that market.

something I find interesting, is the lock AMD has on console hardware, you would think that Intel would have at least tried to muscle into that area, but I suppose the Eternal suck that is Intel graphics keeps them from that market.

Not just that but Intel has fallen so far behind in terms of heat and power that they really can’t compete even on the CPU side.

There's no great mystery to this. AMD has been willing to give away their chips at breakeven or a loss. Intel and Nvidia didn't want to.

Console manufacturers care about who supplies their BOM line items cheapest.

Back