NEW Dell Workstation BEAST, yay or nay? Suggestions?

tps3443

n00b
I'm a system builder at heart and have been for over 15 years.

I'm looking to order or assemble my new Workstation.

Dell has a T5810 workstation, and here is how I've configured it.

Xeon 1680 V3 8 core unlocked CPU.
C612 motherboard
32gb of ECC ddr4 memory
Nvidia Quadro P5000 "GTX1080" only better! With double memory!

With the 35% off I can get this system for $3,400 bucks shipped. The GPU alone cost $2,500 on Newegg! And the CPU used goes for about $1,200.

This will be my new encoding, auto cad rig.

I cannot build one for cheaper.

The 1680 V3 is a unlocked CPU, it's faster than a 5960X and utilises a base clock of 3.2Ghz. but since the OEM motherboard does not allow multiplier tweaking in the BIOS, I mine as well get the 1680V4 for the same price?

Or should I just get a 1660 V3? And save even more money?

I could also get a 2687W V4.

I'll be doing mostly encoding, and video editing with Sony Vegas pro. The P5000 will come in handy with its huge 16GB memory buffer creating my own texture packs for games. And using auto cad.

The 1680 V3 is a unlocked CPU, it's faster than a 5960X and utilises a base clock of 3.2Ghz. but since the OEM motherboard does not allow multiplier tweaking in the BIOS, I mine as well get the 1680V4 for the same price?

Try the Intel XTU first. My XPS 8900 with a 6700K doesnt have much in the way of overclocking (OC1 and OC2, 4.1GHz and 4.2GHz), but the XTU lets me fully adjust everything from within Windows, settings even survive reboot. I currently have it running 4.7GHz on stock Dell cooling. Haven't bothered seeing how high it could do once I just set 4.7GHz and it tested stable.

I know its almost 2 months later but I'd say hold for a better deal on eBay.....

I'm typing this on a T7910 that I got on there with 32GB ram, a single E5-2643V3, and it came with the quad port M.2 card with a 512GB Samsung NVME ssd. Got the thing for $1275....

Granted - I've since added more memory, added a second E5 2643v3 processor, added another NVME SSD, etc... but I still got a machine that, as configured on the Dell site retailed for $4500. It even has a full warranty for a few more years. :)

The catch..... it takes a lot of patience to hold out for the killer deal. Also helps to try typos, etc too because what you want might not be listed with the exact title you might expect. This one for example, listed as just a 7910, not a T7910.

7910.jpg

It's very hard to wait but worth it -- not on this level but I managed to get an E3 1245 v1 based Dell T1600 for 135 USD which is pretty ridiculous. What made this possible was communicating with the seller, they had a videocard in it which I didn't need, I told them I would buy if they would remove, they sent me an offer (I never knew that was possible, I knew the buyer can send offers but not the other way around) and there we are. (I am adding an XFX RX 460 slim which Dell somehow didn't list as an option perhaps because this is a 2012-ish machine and this videocard didn't come to market until late 2016 / early 2017 :p )

I'll chime in here, because I too was looking at the Xeon 2687W v4 chips.I was saving for it.
I do both gaming, and video editing. I am gearing up for 4k video, and I've researched this. A lot.
-
A proper Xeon 2687w dually , with all the things we want, is 12k$ for cpu/mobo/ram.Add 4 of the new titans , 3 or 4 new ssd's, you are looking at a 25,000$ rig.
I am not a professional video editor, that's a lot of cash.
I'm leaning towards a maxed out 6950x right now, it's waaay cheaper !

(y)

Back