New Dell Vostro 1000 laptop, "base system device" what is it?

fromage

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi,

I just got a new Dell Vostro 1000. In my device manager, there is a base system device with no drivers. I installed the Dell System utility(Notebook System Software) that it tells me to install. Numerous times, too. Doesn't solve anything. The question mark is still there and Windows says theres still no drivers even though the installshield reported it was installed successfully.

The computer performs fine as far as I can tell. I just don't like this question mark in my device manager.

How do I properly install this system utility thing?

Hello,

My name is Mike, I’m a Technical Analyst located at Dell corporate headquarters in Round Rock, TX. I’m part of an internet outreach team developed to interact with the online community regarding technical questions and issues that customers face with Dell products. I read about your problem and wanted to offer some help.

This problem is usually tied to the SD card reader. The driver for it can be found here. Try downloading and installing it and see if it corrects the problem. Although the question mark should disappear as soon as the driver is loaded, the system may require a reboot before the changes take effect. I hope this helps.

Mike
Dell customer advocate

wow.. last time i called dell i had to sit around for 3 hours while they bitched about how my computer was out of warentee...

now they respond to forum posts?

eh, getting better i suppose

shouldn't he PM kyle and provide information to get a title along the lines of 'Dell Support Staff' or something like that?

Dell's forum guys are a million times more informed and on the ball than the phone support people. They upgraded an order of mine to overnight just because I made a post asking if anyone else's orders were delayed.

Hello all,

I just wanted to take some time and respond to some of the churn I’ve started here. First, SippieCup, it’s never our intention to have a customer dealing with anything for 3 hours, be it phone, chat, email, or forums. I know how quickly some of our agents will drop the out of warranty card, but dragging it out for 3 hours seems a tad bit excessive, so for that I do apologize. I’ve had similar experiences with other companies before and it’s left a sour taste that keeps them on the bottom of my “go to” list. I hope you haven’t reached that point with Dell, but with a 3 hour lecture about your warranty, I’d understand.

TheCreator, my team usually tries to respond before a week has passed (the sooner the better), but if I don’t see any responses to a post I’ll make an exception. This is just in case they haven’t gotten an answer to their question somewhere else. In a perfect world we’d like to respond in a matter of hours, but in reality we have a whole lot of internet to cover so it can take some time.

Optional87, although on some forums we do interact quite a bit with the moderators, we tend to like to stay a regular part of the online community. We’ve been met with open arms on most forums because we respect the rules and try to keep the conversation casual. Giving us a title makes it seem a bit too… formal. I’m a guest of this forum just like everyone else, no title needed.

Torquemada XP, I thank you for the words of confidence and appreciate you speaking up about my team here. I’m also glad to know that we were able to help you out. It’s important that people know we’re here to help where we can, and word of mouth seems to be our best method of doing that. Again, I appreciate it.

Thank you all for taking the time to comment, and hopefully I’ve covered the important bases here.

Thanks,

Mike
Dell customer advocate

is this dell representative a real CS from DELL? Hardforum administrators need confirm the user account and change his/her title from noobie to dell representative.

Thanks

Generally, when you format a new Dell laptop, you'll get the unknown base device, unless you know every single piece of hardware in the system and install the drivers for each one. Thankfully, Dell provides the drivers for *everything* on its website.

I just did this for a Vostro 1500 that my friend bought. He was complaining also about the base device. I installed all the drivers for all the hardware in the system, per the support site after selecting the laptop type. It took a while, but the system runs great.

This is what I've done for my personal laptops as well and it works every time.

I wish dell would add something similar to windows update for their drivers. I've had pains in the past trying to figure out what the hardware was that I was trying to get the drivers going for.

With them already having some activeX stuff for determining your service tag it'd be awesome if they could expand that to give you a list of drivers for your specific dell machine.

What do you think of the build quality. I just picked on up but I'm having a bad case of buyers remorse for not getting the Vostro 1400. After readings few reviews about it being all plastic I'm starting to have flashbacks to my 5150 with no case support that crushed the mobo.

Sorry I don't mean to scare you.

Back