New Daylight Savings Time - Another Mini Y2K?

I doubt that they're hard-coded anywhere except in a reference chart, because some countries don't have DST adjustments. And what with half the world losing daylight while the other half gains, changing this shouldn't cause too much of a problem.

At most this would require a windows update patch. Nothing like Y2K at all.

Shamshir said:
Sorry, I don't know where else to post this.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/7599782/

Will the proposed changes to daylight savings time create a huge headache for all the systems that need to be patched?

Doesn't XP connect to a certain location to keep the time right anyway?
Those that don't connect just need a small 1 hour, 1 click adjustment. No patch required.

All time is kept relative to GMT standard. The registry keys to determine daylight savings time offset can be configured to support whatever happens.

ColinR said:
I doubt that they're hard-coded anywhere except in a reference chart, because some countries don't have DST adjustments. And what with half the world losing daylight while the other half gains, changing this shouldn't cause too much of a problem.

heck, some places in the united states don't have DST adjustments...

i STILL have nightmares over y2k coding changes... :eek: and sitting there waiting to see if we got everything... you hadda go and remind me of that... :)

“In addition to the benefits of energy savings,” he said, it means “less crime, fewer traffic fatalities, more recreation time and increased economic activity. Daylight saving just bring a smile to everybody’s face.”
...and it even cures impotence AND baldness!! :rolleyes: I'm sorry, I had to. That just sounds freakin' ridiculous.

Seriously, it doesn't make one shred of difference to me. It just means I get to miss an hour of classes one month earlier or later than I do already. Twenty years down the road they'll add ANOTHER month at each end, then again twenty years after that, until in a hundred years there is no DST and the whole calendar is just adjusted for that extra hour somewhere. Call it a New New Leap Year, if you want.

Back