New Dangerden ATi blocks

Dillusion

Supreme [H]ardness
For anyone that hasnt seen:

Dati.jpg

They're also doing a red top TDX too? :eek:

Wow, just wow. That looks awesome.

Wow! :eek: That looks AWESOME. Now if they'd do somethin green just like it for thier nvidia blocks :D

Very ugly IMHO. The red on copper just doesn't look right.

Interesting they not only have switched to euro threads on their blocks but they now use allen button head screws like most euro blocks. Is DD trying to grab some euro low flow love?

My TDX from a long time ago has the button head screws... it just seems like the right kind of screw to use for the application.

As for the threads... probly just got tired of people complaining to them about how it costs xxx to ship these specialized fittings (I was about to complain a month ago, but then went with 7/16 instead of 3/8)

i dont think they are going to mass-produce the red plastic tops. i remember seeing those a while back, and they were a special run for sapphire.

i think its pretty cool. wanna see what happens with the gpu maze blocks hmmmmz

This is old news that has never (yet) come to fruition, just like the board the blocks are seen pictured on. DD made some prototype blocks with acrylic tops a long time ago when Sapphire was showing off their Grouper enthusiast board. The white PCB with the red tops looks incredible, and if the board had ever come out (I think a lower model did eventually under the Sapphire PURE brand or something). Anyways the board was a flop, they might have started designing a new one.

Anyways my point is the blood red acrylic topped blocks have been out for awhile now. Out as in, it was at least 6 months ago that DD first showed these blocks. What I really like about the board is how the mosfets are set up to allow easy watercooling, that block next to the TDX is a mosfet block. The board can have passive, active, or watercooling very easily. It was designed with extreme users in mind....too bad it hasn't lived up to the promise of the design.

R1ckCa1n said:
Very ugly IMHO. The red on copper just doesn't look right.

Interesting they not only have switched to euro threads on their blocks but they now use allen button head screws like most euro blocks. Is DD trying to grab some euro low flow love?

Actually they use button head screws on all their full coverage blocks...but then again it is easier to keep up your hate if you only see what you want to see :rolleyes:

If it cools the gpu as well as how good it looks, it's gonna be shit. I don't like the look of it at all.

Looks like a bitch to run a pair in a Crossfire setup too.

IMO the AC Aquagratix is a much better option for those two issues alone.

Thats the thing though, looks dont have any appreciable correlation with performance. Also, block similar to these have been used to cool dual cards before. Perhaps you should look into it before hand?

The important thing to remember with these blocks is they are/were SPECIAL EDITION just for this. And, you know, since ATI's color is RED, it would make sense to have a RED top. no?

Punx_Clever said:
Thats the thing though, looks dont have any appreciable correlation with performance. Also, block similar to these have been used to cool dual cards before. Perhaps you should look into it before hand?

The important thing to remember with these blocks is they are/were SPECIAL EDITION just for this. And, you know, since ATI's color is RED, it would make sense to have a RED top. no?

I know looks don't have anything to do with performance, but they have a lot to do with how I spend my cash. From what I see, the majority of gpu blocks perform in a certain performance band, and chosing is lastly down to how it looks, unless you're an extreme overclocker and want it all.

I didn't look up the blocks data because I think it looks rank, wouldn't buy it and so didn't waste my time.

It's RED because ATI is RED? No shit Sherlock!

Mysterae said:
I know looks don't have anything to do with performance, but they have a lot to do with how I spend my cash. From what I see, the majority of gpu blocks perform in a certain performance band, and chosing is lastly down to how it looks, unless you're an extreme overclocker and want it all.

I didn't look up the blocks data because I think it looks rank, wouldn't buy it and so didn't waste my time.

It's RED because ATI is RED? No shit Sherlock!

So then the question is why do you spend extra money on AC parts like the aquagtratix ($$) when you can get jsut as good or better performance out of a maze4 gpu block and some ramsinks?

Instead of looking into things, you go off and try to start ANOTHER flame war. Kudos to you for being a jackass.

Ok, now, what color is the aquagratix? Cmon, lets think here! The only one's i'm seeing are either blue or black. Now, does that fit in with the color scheme at all? it's not a hard comparison to make.

But seriously, the only legitimate beef you have with the one-off blocks that DD was making for saphire's board is that you think they are ugly. And that, my friend, doesn't mean much.

Punx_Clever said:
So then the question is why do you spend extra money on AC parts like the aquagtratix ($$) when you can get jsut as good or better performance out of a maze4 gpu block and some ramsinks?

Instead of looking into things, you go off and try to start ANOTHER flame war. Kudos to you for being a jackass.

Ok, now, what color is the aquagratix? Cmon, lets think here! The only one's i'm seeing are either blue or black. Now, does that fit in with the color scheme at all? it's not a hard comparison to make.

But seriously, the only legitimate beef you have with the one-off blocks that DD was making for saphire's board is that you think they are ugly. And that, my friend, doesn't mean much.
Why not allow the user to buy what they want?

Because this realy wasn't a discussion on which block should I buy,more of a discussion of "hey look, there are red topped DD blocks!" (note that these blocks cant be bought). To which he replied "screw that go AC!!!!". doesn't it seem to you like he's hawking AC stuff in a non ac thread? I know you (rick) have complained about high-flow guys taking about hig-flow stuff in your precious low flow threads before.

Punx_Clever said:

I'm spending the extra money on the aquagratix because I like the design; it's clean and looks less like a lego brick for a 3 year old. There are features of the aquagratix that I like and suit my designs of my new case perfectly:

- colour - black and silver, unfussy and uncomplicated.
- cools the RAM - not need to fuck around with sticky pads or thermal adhesive for ram sinks, which are known to fall off occasionaly.
- spring mounted core - to allow for any height issues between the gpu die and the memory ic's.
- cools the voltage regs down too
- has a changable backlit plexiglass logo on the edge - mark one as master and the other as slave ;)
- has BSP fitting - a wide option of fittings available.
- it's pretty flat - allows for more air to flow between adjacent cards.
- the only bad thing is that it is made from aluminium, but the issue of mixing metals can be combated by using a good coolant.

Those are the reasons for selecting the aquagratix, since you asked so nicely.

I was only posting my opinion of the DD block, as did also those who liked the blocks design. I did not flame them. This was not a flame war of any sort until you posted your reply, and got personal. Time to reflect my friend.

END OF.

Color - this is a show piece, it was made to fit a certain color scheme. Given that critera, the color argument is null. In a real world sitation, the clear tops and copper bases are far from complicated or ugly. In fact, AC uses that on most of their blocks . :eek:

Cools the ram - So does the show piece. In a real world setting, i've yet to hear of anyone getting appreciably more performance out of cooling the ram.

Spring mounted core - since memory cooling isn't that important, filling in a gap between the memory and block with TIM isn't going to make a difference. If the block doesn't make good contact with teh core, lap down the memory interfaces. Majic.

Cools v-regs - the AC block doesn't have a water jacket over the v-regs. Consequently, it relies on the water flowing over parts of the block that are relativley far away. Seems far less effective than the small heatsink that comes on the card already.

Changeable LED - 5 points says if you asked DD to drill an LED mount into the plexi they would.

BSP fittings - see thread on DD changing their threads (HAH pun!)

Airflow - looking at this style of block mounted on a dual card setup on the DD website, it's apparent that there is enough room for the length of two fittings between the cards. Plenty of airflow.

All of that being said, on to flaming.

My reply was asking you wheter you had actually looked into all of this before posting what you did, or if you just did it without knowlege of DD's products. Turns out my assumption was right when you replied that you were, in fact, talking out of your ass.

I also pointed out that the color was due to a special edition scheme. You, my friend were the one who replied with "no shit sherlock". It is important to remember that so far, this is a ONE OFF product, made as a show peice, therefore the fact that it has a red top means nothing (unless of course when DD actually releases an ATI block it does have a red top, not likely though).

Erasmus354 said:
Actually they use button head screws on all their full coverage blocks...but then again it is easier to keep up your hate if you only see what you want to see :rolleyes:

Jeez...how about giving it a break?

So....

Anyone know if the new thread change will filter down to their other blocks? I'd love to get a top for my TDX with BSPP fittings.

CrimandEvil said:
So....

Anyone know if the new thread change will filter down to their other blocks? I'd love to get a top for my TDX with BSPP fittings.

They are shipping 80-90% of their goods in BSPP now. Suggest you give Jeremy a ring and ask. :)

Punx mate, I wasn't comparing the DD block with the AC block. I listed the reasons why I prefer the AC block, I had already stated that I didn't look up the DD stats, and quite frankly don't care. I said it looked like bitch to Crossfire, I didn't say it was impossible.

Can we not express our own personal opinions about products in this independant forum without being called a jackass?

Now lets pick up our toys and put 'em back in the pram, and agree to disagree.

Back