New D-Link "Gamers Lounge" Router Question - Can someone have a look at this? (pic)

I just purchased this D-Link gaming router, and it seems to be working fine, but I wanted to show you all a screenshot of the stats page. Does this look alright to you? I was running some downloads and using my VoIP and it seemed to work fine, but is some packet loss normal? I don't know much about that...

Thanks everyone,
--G

untitled16wy1.gif

That is probably just fine.....If you check your logs, your WAN dropped RX packets probably correspond to 'unsolicited ingress packets' - e.g. stuff coming in on ports that are not open or part of existing TCP sessions. You might start to worry if you see dropped WAN TX packets.

For wireless, expect to see a fair amount depending on your surroundings. These devices use the 2.4Ghz spectrum so there can be a lot of interference. For instance, take a look at my wireless stats (same type of router)

Wireless Statistics

Sent : 946 Received : 764
TX Packets Dropped : 29 Errors : 43614

The massive errors is probably due to the fac that I have a 2.4 Ghz wireless phone nearby and a Logitech G7 wireless mouse that also uses the 2.4Ghz spectrum. There are also probably 10+ other wireless networks I can see with my laptop. ~_~ When I am doing large file transfers with my laptop, the logitech G7 on my desktop actually becomes wildly innacurrate and jumpy.

Cool, thanks. So, you get dropped packets on WAN receive?

Also, I looked at my log file, I can't make much sense from it. I see a lot of messages looking like this:

[INFO] Sat Jan 31 14:15:06 2004 Blocked incoming UDP packet from 60.11.125.38:40347 to 65.34.113.232:1026

Is that what you were referring to? But I have a lot of those...

Thanks again! :)

The blocked udp packets are just normal internnet background noise

Those numbers are low enough that you have absolutely nothing to worry about.

Back