New Credit Cards May Make Tipping More Awkward

hqdefault.jpg

https://youtu.be/MrQwN8JorDk

"In Atlantic City, Paulie, having learned of Tony's decision, vindictively orders his dining guests to order steaks, three-pound lobsters, shrimp cocktails, and Lyonnaise potatoes -- he also sends a bottle of Cristal to a group of women at a nearby table -- all to saddle Christopher with a heavily inflated bill. When the $1,184 bill is given to Christopher, he leaves the waiter $1,200. Paulie and Christopher continue bickering in the restaurant's parking lot. Just as the fight becomes physical, the waiter comes out, complaining about receiving only a $16 tip. He insults them when Christopher refuses to pay more, and Christopher throws a rock at the waiter's head after he turns to go back inside. The waiter collapses after being hit, convulsing on the ground, causing a panicked Paulie to kill the waiter with a gunshot. Paulie grabs the money they had just paid as they hurriedly leave in separate vehicles. The next day, Paulie and Christopher both agree to bury the hatchet and split the original tab."

Ummm.... how is this awkward?? This is how we've been doing it in Canada for YEARS and it's never once been awkward for me. :confused:

stupid credit card technology.

why can't they make it work like the old way?

I was at walmart the other day, and the stupid chip wouldn't let me swipe the card. I had to insert it and let it read the chip or some shit

OMG, how hard is it to insert a card instead of slide it?? Seriously... make a huge deal of nothing.

If if you live in the US, be careful with not tipping. In some areas it's actually illegal and you can be arrested for theft of services. Google it. This is a real thing that happens all the time.

The chip is already seeing reports of being duplicated. Considering its a 20-30 year old technology, its not a surprise. Its the PIN that is the benefit especially today. Switching was a waste of effort. Chip does nothing for online or phone fraud, either. I have to wonder what got trojan'ed in with the legislation.

Holy hell, how many times in this thread are you going to get on your soapbox about the righteous and pure ways of tipping?

As many times as it takes to get people like you to understand that screwing people over isn't ok.

It is not your place to tell anyone to stay home, it is not the waiter's place to do anything bad to the customer for being a "tight wad", you are giving business to the person who owns that restaurant, and if they don't give their workers a fair wage then it's up to the workers to be pissed at the owner not at the customers who are simply paying what it says on the menu.

That is what it really boils down to, the owners are the ones being cheapskates so the onus is on the customer to foot the bill for the owner. If you're working in someplace where a meal for 2 costs less than $20 then yeah getting a tip is going to help, if you're working at a place where the cheapest entree is more expensive than $20 then you're probably in no fucking trouble of "making ends meet", assume you do a 4 hour shift and wait 6 tables, each table is $20 check, a "standard" 15% tip translates to $4.50/hr raise which is pretty significant considering the pay you're probably getting at that rate.

People at the bottom don't get a choice. Apparently you've forgotten that. The system has been in place long enough that they aren't going to blame the owner as every single one operates the same. They are just going to think "you're an asshole " and you are. Now certainly I agree they shouldn't be doing anything in retaliation. Reality is that it's the system though, and if you aren't going to tip, stay the fuck home. You know they aren't getting reimbursed from their employer no matter what you think so you're just being a douche and intentionally taking advantage of them.

You shouldn't feel like you have to tip them for just doing their job. Yeah, the wages are low, but the tips more than make up for it, and hardly any service staff that has the means to will report all of it on their taxes./QUOTE]Federal minimum wage for servers is $2.13/hour. They would have to work 136 hours just to equal the same pay as a McDonald's employee. You think servers can survive without tips?

(Note: This does not apply to California servers, who make state minimum wage of $9/hr on top of their tips)

Without a tipping system, there is less incentive to provide good service.

So tip, you cheap assholes!

OMG, how hard is it to insert a card instead of slide it?? Seriously... make a huge deal of nothing.

Have you tried it? you have to leave it in there hanging while it bleeps and bloops. Feels like standing their with your fly open and dick out to some extent. Whatever egghead designed it obviously has never used a swipe, an ATM or NFC before.

I usually eat dressed like a bum (pajama pants), so they don't expect a tip. The servers who are good at their job, and don't care what I'm dressed like, usually get a nice surprise when I pay. It's how I weed out those who are good at their job.

The US is so far behind on this payment technology... This is being over sensationalized.

Pretty much every restaurant I go to here in Canada brings a wireless terminal to you at the table.
-They put the amount in and hand you the terminal.
-You put your chip card in the bottom,
-accept the amount,
-it asks if you would like to tip by $ or %, gives you the final total, you accept,
-enter your pin, it prompts you to remove your card...
-receipt prints

For non gratuity services like getting a coffee the card has nfc on it allowing you to tap the card on the terminal for instant payment (usually up to $100 max) with no pin etc.

Once you guys get up to date with the supporting technology I think you will prefer it. Signing pieces of paper and swiping vulnerable, cloneable magnetic strips in 2015 is pretty ridiculous imho.

Delivery drivers have even started to use these mobile payment terminals allowing secure credit or debit at my door.

If if you live in the US, be careful with not tipping. In some areas it's actually illegal and you can be arrested for theft of services. Google it. This is a real thing that happens all the time.

That law violates the constitution.

Yes because when people bitch about paying sales tax is TOTALLY because they're upset about government services and not because they'll looking to save 5-9% extra on a deal.
Instead of having that 5-9% go to the government instead, which is not doing a good job and then they get angry about it, so we're full circle. My point stands.

Holy fuckballs, it has NOTHING to do with being able to afford the restaurant
Yet you jump to this...

Now go to to another restaurant where it costs $100 for a meal, the higher end restaurant is absolutely paying more for their cooking staff, in fact they probably don't have cooks, they have CHEFS, so yeah the chef is doing ok. So throwing an extra $20 at a meal becomes a bit more of an expense, and yeah you can argue all you want about if you're spending $100 you can spend an extra $20, well fuck you, who's business is it of yours to tell me when enough is enough.
So it's not about being able to afford it... but wait, yes it is. Also... you're the one bitching about it. By posting a rant about it on a message board you pretty much made it everyone's business. You should expect some criticism. No need to get verbally abusive over it.

And yeah nobody is forcing me to go to a restaurant, I fucking choose to go
So you have no reason to whine about it and then get pissed off when people point out that you're being hypocritical in your complaint. It seems to me that going to restaurants is causing you undue stress if you have to get this hot over it. Maybe you should try cooking more often?

I do tip, because at some point in time tipping was something that was an OPTION for service that was beyond normal, and sometime down the pipe that has mutated into a "it's part of my salary, so you better give me more money" mentally.
So you tip anyway, yet you want to bitch about the system, and then get mad at ME for pointing out that you're being irrational? You don't like participating in a voluntary system, yet you do it anyway and then complain about it. Nobody's making you tip. You're choosing to participate due to a feeling of social obligation. In short, you're being guilted into doing something that you object to. To me it's pretty simple. Either don't participate, or don't complain when you do. It's really not that hard.

Just tip at the register when you pay with your card. No more "My waiter is my cashier". Less stolen card numbers as your card never leaves your hands. Everyone wins.

And I always start at 20% for a tip. +5% if the waiter/waitress is awesome. -5% every time my glass hits empty. I generally end up at 15%.

That is generous but you are also foolish with money. 12% is considered the standard for tipping in NA.

Yeah, I guess, if you're a cheap ass jerk. But whatever. Not like anyone in this thread is going to convince anyone of the opposite opinions about anything.

Back