"New CPU detected" when adding second GTX470

Colonel_Panic

Limp Gawd
I've been fighting a bit of a battle with my GTX470 SLI setup here since adding a waterblock to the second card. After using it on air for a while, I put it on water, where it performed for about 2 weeks before causing my system to stop POSTing. I removed it, the system worked again, and I thought I'd have to RMA it to EVGA. Just now I removed the waterblock and replaced it with the stock cooler, and now it works!

I'm going to do a little stress testing to figure out how well it's working. The first time I booted with the card installed, I got the BIOS message "New CPU Detected". I wonder if this is normal? I suppose the second card could be considered a CPU, but still doesn't really make sense, even though everything works after setting the BIOS to my stock profile.

I've been fighting a bit of a battle with my GTX470 SLI setup here since adding a waterblock to the second card. After using it on air for a while, I put it on water, where it performed for about 2 weeks before causing my system to stop POSTing. I removed it, the system worked again, and I thought I'd have to RMA it to EVGA. Just now I removed the waterblock and replaced it with the stock cooler, and now it works!

I'm going to do a little stress testing to figure out how well it's working. The first time I booted with the card installed, I got the BIOS message "New CPU Detected". I wonder if this is normal? I suppose the second card could be considered a CPU, but still doesn't really make sense, even though everything works after setting the BIOS to my stock profile.

I remember your old thread, and this is a surprising turn of events. Please post back how things go after the stress test. Maybe your old block was on too tight and was shorting out the card? I dunno at this point. lemme know how things go. :)

New cpu message is probaly just OC failing on the cpu.. ive gotten that after hard resets on my old i7 mobo..

you probably shorting out the card when putting ont he waterblock

Maybe the new waterblock is causing the waterflow to critically drop too low causing the cpu to overheat.

Ensure the water is flowing sufficiently.

Back