New Corsair Gaming Keyboards

I am really considering the K70 RGB because its available now (and they've completely redone the PCB, lighting etc... that led to issues with earlier variants - lights going out etc), but I really wish they'd release the K95 as well, if the K70 is ready. Especially given how close the prices are, my first choice would be to have the K95 RGB with all its macro keys. After years of faithful service, my old Logi G19's LCTRL key has finally become completely inactive, and only the fact that the G-keys are right nearby has allowed me to pretty much just bind CTRL to G12 and keep on going without much change in my gaming/typing habit.

I hope the K95 RGB arrives soon, and that a RGB TenKeyLess compact design is also in the works. Not to mention the updates to the mice, especially M95 (which unlike the M65, sadly seems to lack a RGB update even announced!).

I got mine in the mail today and I absolutely love it. I even swapped my single wrist wrest off my old k70.

Any news on the m65 rgb?

I got mine in the mail today and I absolutely love it. I even swapped my single wrist wrest off my old k70.

Any news on the m65 rgb?

Congrats. Mine arrives tomorrow so I will post my impressions asap. Haven't heard a peep about the m65 rgb.

so far everyone is liking it? I'll get mine on the holidays as a present for myself.

Crap! There was a typo in my new address and delivery will be delayed until tomorrow. Oh well. :(

Has there been any word the silver version will be out or its just going to be black aluminum?

Has there been any word the silver version will be out or its just going to be black aluminum?

They are delayed in releasing the blues and browns so I would not hold my breath on the silver version this year.

they pulled the rgb from amazon.. I can't find it there... I see it on the egg though.

edit: well, this was my first newegg purchase in a long time. :p

Last edited:
they pulled the rgb from amazon.. I can't find it there... I see it on the egg though.

edit: well, this was my first newegg purchase in a long time. :p

You sir are absolutely correct about them pulling it. I wonder why they pulled it.

I love mine but could definitely see how this is more of a "look at my e-peen" thing. I also will be the first to admit that I can see many of the RGB backlit features becoming annoying. Fortunately I have lots of friends who come by who love PCs and always want to see what I've done new. This will accomplish that.

Good thing I pre-ordered mine the minute I could.

PS am I the only one dreaming about having the rainbow waves from my keyboard cross my mouse into some sweet 120mm RGB case fans? I imagine that would be so awesome. Damn for a 28 year old male I sure act like a 14 year raver chick. My room is gonna need some e pills!

lol... that would be awesome. So what's annoying about the RGB features? I assume the driver/app needs to be loaded at all times...

lol... that would be awesome. So what's annoying about the RGB features? I assume the driver/app needs to be loaded at all times...

The driver software is... complicated. I have managed to do a few cool things and the forum when I checked it yesterday was thriving and had many cool presets to download. I have my doubts about long term community but perhaps we could solve this ourselves here.

Having it rainbow across the keyboard while playing DOTA was surprisingly distracting as well. Other than that I love it. All the keys can rainbow minus the LEDs to inform you of caps/scroll/num lock which impressed the crap outta me. I love that the media keys can change color.

It feels like it was built more sturdy than my retired non backlit k70. The keys are all of equal brightness (at least from my vision which isn't hawkeye like some people ;))

interesting.. well mine should be here tomorrow. I might not have a lot of time to mess with it until this weekend though... but should be fun. Yeah - when I am gaming I am thinking a non color changing theme would be ideal.. I was going to do something with yellow and red but not sure... I had one of those old Luxeed keyboards that had the color change but the KB itself was terrible and the software was unstable.. seeing the color sweeping across my desk was pretty cool though. :) I am a sucker for a good light show. ;)

PS: I am sure we're going to suffer some early adopters issues... it's just the way of these things. :eek:

interesting.. well mine should be here tomorrow. I might not have a lot of time to mess with it until this weekend though... but should be fun. Yeah - when I am gaming I am thinking a non color changing theme would be ideal.. I was going to do something with yellow and red but not sure... I had one of those old Luxeed keyboards that had the color change but the KB itself was terrible and the software was unstable.. seeing the color sweeping across my desk was pretty cool though. :) I am a sucker for a good light show. ;)

PS: I am sure we're going to suffer some early adopters issues... it's just the way of these things. :eek:

Yup but at least we know that Corsair won't be disappearing on us if it shits the bed. I dunno I have my doubts about the LEDs lasting for years but I feel that way about everything with LEDs.

Does the app feel heavy while gaming? I like running my gaming rig lean as possible, just old habits left over from yonder years... I think my x79 has enough headroom to accommodate that though without impact. Sometimes peripheral apps do some weird things while polling the usb controller non stop though.. hopefully this doesn't do that..

I had a few days playing around with my new keyboard and from a mechanical perspective I love it. Its a joy to type. In fact typing this post on it right now.

Pros

• Very pleasant to type on. The keyboard itself is esthetically pleasing to the eyes but ultimately its a personal choice.
  • Feels solid and quality built. You feel like you are getting your monies worth.
Cons

• Software is less then friendly. They need to rewrite the GUI with quick profile changes. Right now its just a mess
  • Not a fan of a keyboard program driver that consumes 79 megabytes of memory. We should be able to create a profile, save to keyboard memory and close it to free up memory.
  • Corsair support communication on this keyboard has been non-existent. If you are on the fence about buying this keyboard wait until they get their act together.
I love corsair products but they have really dropped the ball with customers on this one with the lack of communication and shitty software. They said they are going to make an announcement soon but its been already a few days post launch and nothing but silence. It's really unacceptable and based on this might be my last Corsair purchase. I hope Kyle can maybe get some info from them or hopefully they are reading this.

Reports from PAX suggest that there IS in fact a K65 RGB compact/TKL style keyboard that is at least at the demo-ready stage! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o_vciksKzE

This is good news, certainly. Glad they've been listening! I just hope it debuts soon; the considerable delays behind the rest of the RGB lineup, especially the K95 have been unfortunate, so making the K65 available alongside the originally announced items like the K95 and M65, will go a long way to balm the sting of the long wait. Now if there's only a M95 RGB on its way too...

I'll be unboxing and installing my K70 RGB tonight... should be interesting. I am half way tempted to put it on my daily rig just because that one is on more and I will see the fun light show a lot more that way.. I would put my blue K70 on the gaming rig.. but I like those cherry mx reds for gaming... hmmm

Edit: holy hell the software is terrible... My PC wouldn't even boot with the kb plugged in until I upped the fw... Then had issues with my m40 and had to up the fw on that and had issues getting that working again.. Had to cold boot with no mouse or kb... Then plug them in and load the software for the mouse to get the logo light on again... Now it works without the software... But the kb. No backlighting until the software loads now. Wth? Hopefully they change that with a fw update.

Edit2: from a cold restart I have KB back lighting but not on a warm boot... The KB build quality is beautiful.. the lighting profiles are kind of difficult to make.. I wish they had just provided a few demo profiles with the thing.. or am I missing something? nope.. the configurability of this is a tweakers dream... I am too tired to mess with it much more... I see what was said about color bleed - there's a ton of it between the keys.. kind of a bummer. what I want to configure is after like screen saver mode.. after 5 mins of no activity activate the "wave" effect I made and have that pulse like every 5 seconds.. I'll figure it out later.

Last edited:
so.. I think my rgb might be broken or something.. type lighting doesn't work at all and I can't assign keys to change profiles or modes.. the settings just won't save... I assign a key, then try it.. doesn't work then I go back and the setting is default still. The KB works fine.. I can change the keys to any color I want... type lighting should work though.. it's a global thing. I created my color wave with 6 points etc etc... nothing. I was hoping for less of a project. I guess I should read the manual but because my button mappings (profile/mode) won't stick so something might be wrong. not sure...

Last edited:
so.. I think my rgb might be broken or something.. type lighting doesn't work at all and I can't assign keys to change profiles or modes.. the settings just won't save... I assign a key, then try it.. doesn't work then I go back and the setting is default still. The KB works fine.. I can change the keys to any color I want... type lighting should work though.. it's a global thing. I created my color wave with 6 points etc etc... nothing. I was hoping for less of a project. I guess I should read the manual but because my button mappings (profile/mode) won't stick so something might be wrong. not sure...

Maybe this is why there is a lack of info on the board and also why Amazon pulled it. I wish Redbeard would chime in.

yeah... something is not working. But I will say I am not getting the USB device malfunction message many are getting.. the KB works perfect as a KB.. my games all work great... I have managed to make one animation work by creating a test profile and selecting all keys and dropping my test lighting effect profile into all keys. then I hit the play button in the UI and I get my ripple animation once.. so that sorta kinda works..

I dunno... not been feeling so hot (cold) and not a lot of time to spend on this.. I need to rtfm some more and also reg on the corsair forums and see if I have some legit issue with the type lighting not working.. because that should just work once it's enabled and it for sure doesn't.

edit: btw, there's a new version coming out really soon with a "68" in the model number.. the current one is a "63". I bet that's why amazon pulled it. They don't want to deal with tons of returns on the other version that's causing a lot of issues for folks..

Last edited:
Well after a week of using this keyboard its going back to Amazon. Corsair's communication on these issues has been atrocious. Keyboard should not have to be reconnected often or computer rebooted so the software sees the keyboard.

The software simply needs to be revamped entirely. It's very clunky and NOT very user friendly. You should be able to create a lighting profile, click apply and save onto the keyboards memory so once you turn off the software it stays lit.

The Corsair reps made a official announcement on their boards:

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=132049

They even mention that the software is still in beta which for a final release hardware is unacceptable.

Last edited:
Wow I can't believe they released a keyboard without working software for it, and they knew it wasn't working too (software build number 657 wtf??) This is disappointing to see.

I have to say I'm nonplussed by how Corsair seems to be refusing to comment on some upcoming products, such as giving updated release dates especially for the K95 RGB (which has been officially released), the K65 RGB TenKeyLess design (which is not on their website,yet was show in public at PAX, not to mention alternate Cherry MX switch types and finishes that users have been asking about. Its understandable when there are delays, but when it feels like the communication is very limited, it becomes irksome.

With regards to the software, I understand it may take more time to perfect and I'd rather have it powerful and comprehensive, done right. However, the issues that are being currently reported are one reason that I from the very beginning feel Corsair was in error not making the software open source under a Free Software license (GPL, MPL etc). Not only would it reach a wide audience across all platforms and perhaps improve on usability, it would allow the community to help deal with the kind of bugs and issues that are being found at the moment and likely make the process of remedying them swifter. Corsair is selling their hardware and FOSS software would make for a much more alluring prospect I would think, as even those who had no knowledge or interest in coding or tweaking, would still receive the benefits from all those who did.

yeah... I am on the fence with my k70 rgb... it works for all intensive purposes... I don't get the disconnect error... I can change the key lights but non of the animations seem to work... I am not sure why.

Corsair's headquarters is like 4 miles from my house... I am thinking about calling them and asking if they will let me swap this old version out for the newer one or at least test my current one to see if it's got real issues or is just being fussy with my motherboard's USB ports or something.. Either way this thing is sooooo not fully cooked..

It's upsetting to hear about all these issues. I have been holding off on getting the K70 black w/mx browns and red backlighting since they announced the RGB version. Maybe I will just go with my aforementioned pick and wait for the next RGB version in a couple/few years.

yeah... I am on the fence with my k70 rgb... it works for all intensive purposes... I don't get the disconnect error... I can change the key lights but non of the animations seem to work... I am not sure why.

Corsair's headquarters is like 4 miles from my house... I am thinking about calling them and asking if they will let me swap this old version out for the newer one or at least test my current one to see if it's got real issues or is just being fussy with my motherboard's USB ports or something.. Either way this thing is sooooo not fully cooked..

You hit it exactly on the head. This keyboard needed at least 1-3 more months in the "oven" to cook more. I absolutely love the look of this keyboard but I am not paying 169 dollars to beta test products.

You sir are absolutely correct about them pulling it. I wonder why they pulled it.

Corsair said they had an exclusivity deal with Best Buy. They must have a similar deal with Newegg. That's why Amazon had to pull it.

Yup but at least we know that Corsair won't be disappearing on us if it shits the bed. I dunno I have my doubts about the LEDs lasting for years but I feel that way about everything with LEDs.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Corsair has disappeared on Corsair Link users. I have $60 in Corsair link that is now a paperweight because they refuse to support it and it can't even control a single fan.

Corsair said they had an exclusivity deal with Best Buy. They must have a similar deal with Newegg. That's why Amazon had to pull it.

Can you post a link for your source? I got mine from Amazon Pre-ordered a few weeks before release.

Can you post a link for your source? I got mine from Amazon Pre-ordered a few weeks before release.

Me too. I have one that looks pretty good. I haven't had any issues but I don't want to have dropped (another) $170 for a keyboard I am just going to replace in the next few months because of issues with board QC.

Most of you guys are returning these now because of a new SKU or because of the issues with the software? Any hardware issues I might have missed that I should double check?

Me too. I have one that looks pretty good. I haven't had any issues but I don't want to have dropped (another) $170 for a keyboard I am just going to replace in the next few months because of issues with board QC.

Most of you guys are returning these now because of a new SKU or because of the issues with the software? Any hardware issues I might have missed that I should double check?

I returned mine due to crappy software and lack of communication from Corsair. Also having to unplug and plug your keyboard every time there is a glitch in lighting is ridiculous.

The keyboard is great but this product honestly needed more development time. This was a very sloppy launch.

I am not returning mine... I figure if I did I would turn around and spend 130 on the k70 red... so for $40 more I have control of all my key colors... the software will get better I am sure... I don't care about the animations too much - they're fun but I don't spend a lot of time just staring at my kb... as long as mine keeps working fine I am happy with it... when the software gets better I will be even more so. If I was having the USB device malfunction error every 2 hours that would be different. I would for sure be returning it.

still and all, it feels very beta with the state the software is in..

PS: ok I finally got my animations working... just creating an animation and setting it to run every 10 seconds and dropped that onto a key group. BUT type lighting is still not working... I'll talk to Corsair about that.
PPS: I had the KB stop my PC from booting up... the windows animation would freeze unless I unplugged the KB and my M40 mouse.. only happened once though. I hope that kind of stuff gets fixed with FW updates.

Last edited:
HTML:
I am not returning mine... I figure if I did I would turn around and spend 130 on the k70 red... so for $40 more I have control of all my key colors... the software will get better I am sure... I don't care about the animations too much - they're fun but I don't spend a lot of time just staring at my kb... as long as mine keeps working fine I am happy with it... when the software gets better I will be even more so. If I was having the USB device malfunction error every 2 hours that would be different. I would for sure be returning it.

still and all, it feels very beta with the state the software is in..

PS: ok I finally got my animations working... just creating an animation and setting it to run every 10 seconds and dropped that onto a key group. BUT type lighting is still not working... I'll talk to Corsair about that.
PPS: I had the KB stop my PC from booting up... the windows animation would freeze unless I unplugged the KB and my M40 mouse.. only happened once though. I hope that kind of stuff gets fixed with FW updates.

All good points. How long is our warranty for these things? 3 years? Do we think they could fix the animations a type lighting issues with a firmware update?
The software is awful though :(:(

Ps never had the boot issues.

M65 RGB & K70 RGB (Brown/Blue switch) available on 9/24 via NewEgg. Interesting that they changed the branding on the K70 RGB so quickly, glad I ordered mine @ launch and got the minimalist Corsair logo.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823816024&cm_re=K70_RGB-_-23-816-024-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823816025&cm_re=K70_RGB-_-23-816-025-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826816033&cm_re=M65_RGB-_-26-816-033-_-Product

Ugh, not digging the new logo at all either. It also looks strangely 'tacked on' (thanks to the big black square around it) as opposed to molded into the top plastic.

Back