New Corsair Gaming Keyboards

MacLeod

[H]F Junkie
Saw this on Corsair's Youtube page. Theyre coming out with a couple new keyboards with backlit keys that you can adjust the color for each individual key. Thats pretty cool IMO. If theyre Cherry MX Blues, Ill likely buy one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltIVqwMqGDo&list=UUPy4EQ9HhP-g9xc4yDahhnQ&feature=share&index=3

Even if the keyboards arent any good, Im going to buy one just because this video is epic! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_R4t5cInyM&list=PL2C3583D983CEEC2C&feature=share

New mice look pretty cool too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMBV7W5InLo&list=PL2C3583D983CEEC2C&feature=share&index=2

I don't think pretty led lights are worth the extra price premium. Corsair has been pissing me off with their pricing especially when it's all made in China.

I don't think pretty led lights are worth the extra price premium. Corsair has been pissing me off with their pricing especially when it's all made in China.

The new MX RGB boards aside, their pricing is in line with what other companies are currently offering. As for MX RGB, there's not all that much competition worth considering yet so they have the market monopolized on that front.

I do when theyre all variable like that. I aint ashamed to admit I like cool looking gaming gear. These things are all basically toys for me so I dont see anything wrong with wanting them to look cool and having nice features to play around with. The keyboard purists will turn their noses up no doubt but for guys like me, these things are pretty bad ass.

Saw this on Corsair's Youtube page. Theyre coming out with a couple new keyboards with backlit keys that you can adjust the color for each individual key. Thats pretty cool IMO. If theyre Cherry MX Blues, Ill likely buy one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltIVqwMqGDo&list=UUPy4EQ9HhP-g9xc4yDahhnQ&feature=share&index=3

Even if the keyboards arent any good, Im going to buy one just because this video is epic! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_R4t5cInyM&list=PL2C3583D983CEEC2C&feature=share

New mice look pretty cool too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMBV7W5InLo&list=PL2C3583D983CEEC2C&feature=share&index=2

The K90 will be available in only MX RGB Red.

The K70 will be available in MX RGB Red/Brown/Blue.

Even if the keyboards arent any good, Im going to buy one just because this video is epic!

Thankfully they are very good keyboards. I've been very happy with my K70. :)

Yeah, I have to say--outside of the problems with the blue LEDs, the K70 has definitely impressed me. It's very durable--it shrugs off spills pretty well.

The dying CTRL key on my current keyboard has compelled me to make a purchase soon, but I've been holding off for months since hearing about the RGB MX switches. I'm most likely going to go with the new K95 RGB for my main board, though I do like the K70 kit as well. However, if I was going to go for a smaller K70 footprint, I'd really love to see an even smaller full TenKeyLess design. Still, they really look excellent (and my props to the Corsair video team - that's nice work, showcasing the technical benefits in sync with some suitably epic music for an overall excellent impression). I'm also happy to see that one can save certain profiles onboard for lighting any whatnot to work without having the software present. I wonder if they will support some more unique lighting and configuration commands (ie such as color = red on key at rest, color = blue when key is being pressed down, or timing schedules to have "waves" or other designs of different colors travel through the keyboard EDIT: It seems from some of the tradeshow vids this is demonstrated! Very nice!).

As a Linux preferring desktop/gaming user, it would be awesome if Corsair would provide a Linux utility for configuration, but I'd be just as happy if there was a SDK (similar to the Logitech GamePanel SDK etc...) that would allow the community to write their own utilities/customizations, store g-key macros and otherwise interact with the keyboard. This will certainly endear Corsair to a very reliably loyal demographic.

The only major issue I have with the entire RGB lineup is the conspicuous absence of one particular item - the M95! The M95 is by far the best "MMO style" mouse I've ever used, and I'd love to see n an updated RGB edition with similar hardware upgrades that the M65 has been given! If any Corsair reps are about (Redbeard?!), I'd be incredibly grateful if there was any news on a M95 RGB. Its absence has me thinking the worst that the M95 will not be updated, which would really be a major loss.

Last edited:
Glad to see pre-orders starting. I'll bite when the K70 RGB w/MX Browns becomes available.

I'd love a Mini form factor keyboard from Corsair.

I bought a HHKB2 for work and never looked back. I love the size of the thing. I'd pick up a Mini sized Corsair keyboard in a heartbeat.

What's the improvement with the MX RGB switches? I'm thinking about picking up the K70 variant. I don't really care about the lighting. It's cool as hell, but if you saw the mess that is my desk, you'd understand why fancy lights won't help. ;) I may just wait for the RGB keyboards to come out, then see if the original K70s drop in price.

I like the look of the mice, but I wish they had an optical version. I'm holding off for a Roccat XTD Optical. According to Roccat, "the mouse should be available in the US around the end of August". Not so far though.

What's the improvement with the MX RGB switches? I'm thinking about picking up the K70 variant. I don't really care about the lighting. It's cool as hell, but if you saw the mess that is my desk, you'd understand why fancy lights won't help. ;) I may just wait for the RGB keyboards to come out, then see if the original K70s drop in price.

I like the look of the mice, but I wish they had an optical version. I'm holding off for a Roccat XTD Optical. According to Roccat, "the mouse should be available in the US around the end of August". Not so far though.

There's no improvement in the switches, they just allow SMD LEDs to be used instead of the standard 2-pin LED bulbs. If the lighting isn't a requirement, I'd consider an inexpensive alternative like the CMStorm Quickfire Rapid.

There aren't any major feature improvements but it is a new pcb and I heard of led issues with the old k70 which I think they probably fixed. But the rgb may have new issues.

There's no improvement in the switches, they just allow SMD LEDs to be used instead of the standard 2-pin LED bulbs. If the lighting isn't a requirement, I'd consider an inexpensive alternative like the CMStorm Quickfire Rapid.

Good to know. Thanks for the info.

I just might do that. I like the looks of that kb. One thing that I love about the Corsair keyboards is that the keys sit above the keyboard, not recessed in the keyboard. That would, I would think, make it easy to keep hair and dust out from under the keys. Don't know that it's worth the extra cost though.

Looking at the CM keyboard again, I'd want the Ultimate version for the 10-key and the function keys - a traditional layout. That puts it at the same price as the (non RGB) K70.

When I first started getting into PC's and PC gaming I loved all the cool lights and LED's - it was different then all the apple stuff I grew up with. Less sterile.

That being said, as Ive gotten older and accustomed to the PC enthusiast world, I've grown away from all the blue and red lights. I just got rid of my last LED backlit keyboard, and am looking to rebuilt my rig in a much more classy and elegant way. Maybe have a white led strip for the occasion I wanna show it off. :)

ALL of this relating back to Corsair, I appreciate the effort they are putting into appealing to both sides of this market, always making classy looking products, but if they want to add all these cool lights and stuff, they have got to find a way to keep the price down a bit.

I never did outgrow the cool lights and stuff. Im 42 and have a Logitech G510, Razer Blackwidow Ultimate (blue LED's) and my newest Logitech G710+ and will most likely wind up with one of these Corsairs eventually (although I really, really love this 710+ and Brown switches). I guess Ill always be a sucker for cool looking stuff like this. LOL!

I have to admit it looks nice but as I've gotten older flashy lights don't impress me much and I can't think of one reason to get over non-rbg keyboards. The price premium cements my reason to pass.

I guess I just do not understand the appeal for multicolored lights on a keyboard. I find the CM Storm Novatouch's Cherry MX compatible Topre switches to be a much more interesting evolution than 'RGB' LEDs...

Last edited:
I guess I just do not understand the appeal for multicolored lights on a keyboard. I find the CM Storm Novatouch's Cherry MX compatible Topre switches to be a much more interesting evolution than 'RGB' LEDs...

Guess its more for the ADD crowd like me that cant stand using the same thing for very long. I did the same with my G510. Id roll with white lights for a while then get tired of them and go with green for a few weeks then switch to red and so on. No rhyme or reason, just like different shit all the time. Its probably why Ive got nearly a dozen mice that I rotate thru every month or so.

These things are basically toys for me so the more buttons to push and cool things to play with the better.

Guess its more for the ADD crowd like me that cant stand using the same thing for very long. I did the same with my G510. Id roll with white lights for a while then get tired of them and go with green for a few weeks then switch to red and so on. No rhyme or reason, just like different shit all the time. Its probably why Ive got nearly a dozen mice that I rotate thru every month or so.

These things are basically toys for me so the more buttons to push and cool things to play with the better.

The problem is that its really gimmicky and really offers nothing of gaming value. The only thing I can think that would be useful is some games supporting flashing certain keys for even notification but how many serious gamers look down at their keyboards while playing? Most PC gamers I know rarely look at the keyboard and when they do its to find some special character.

All things equal, if this RGB model was the same price at the non I would get it because it looks cool. Paying $60 more for something that I will rarely use is just wasteful.

Having said this, if the LED's were of better quality and guaranteed not to burn out in only a few months then it would be worth the extra money. I would gladly pay more for more durable LED's.

Having said this, if the LED's were of better quality and guaranteed not to burn out in only a few months then it would be worth the extra money. I would gladly pay more for more durable LED's.

I may be wrong about this, but SMD LEDs should last longer than most bulb LEDs due to design alone; they (SMD) are normally smaller so they should require less voltage and put out less heat. But, again, this does come down to the quality of their construction as well.

The problem is that its really gimmicky and really offers nothing of gaming value. The only thing I can think that would be useful is some games supporting flashing certain keys for even notification but how many serious gamers look down at their keyboards while playing? Most PC gamers I know rarely look at the keyboard and when they do its to find some special character.

All things equal, if this RGB model was the same price at the non I would get it because it looks cool. Paying $60 more for something that I will rarely use is just wasteful.

That's the thing. People are going crazy over these colored LEDs and are ready to pay $60 more no questions asked, when on the other hand there are people getting all up and arms over the speculated price of the Novatouch TKL which is a real evolution and an attempt to bring Topre to a larger audience.

That being said — I do understand that to a lot of people Topre switches are an obscure thing and it is a factor to take into account.

there is no way i'm not buying this.

honestly $170 for a mechanical keyboard is not that bad.
a ducky is $140

yes, corsair products cost a lot. but they are amazing.

I may be wrong about this, but SMD LEDs should last longer than most bulb LEDs due to design alone; they (SMD) are normally smaller so they should require less voltage and put out less heat. But, again, this does come down to the quality of their construction as well.

After much thought and your post I did some research on SMD LED's and pulled the trigger on pre-order.

It's all good until people discover that they are actually programming our minds via LED sequences....I think it started already with the demos flashing "must buy this keyboard!" - /drools....me want keyboard..haha. I do want this one though : )

For me the usage of SMD LEDs is the big improvement in this. I do not know about the actual failure rate of the LEDs themselves, but the current design for all backlit mechanical switches is to have a through hole LED mounted through the switch to the PCB. This design puts stress on the solder joints if the board isn't well supported because everytime you put pressure on the switch you are also putting pressure on the LED solder joints. SMD LEDs should allow for more reliability, at least with the LED solder joints.

So even if they elected to use single color LEDs but use the new Cherry MX RGB switches (which are really just clear plastic switches allowing the usage of any SMD LED you want) I think it would be a better design.

For me the usage of SMD LEDs is the big improvement in this. I do not know about the actual failure rate of the LEDs themselves, but the current design for all backlit mechanical switches is to have a through hole LED mounted through the switch to the PCB. This design puts stress on the solder joints if the board isn't well supported because everytime you put pressure on the switch you are also putting pressure on the LED solder joints. SMD LEDs should allow for more reliability, at least with the LED solder joints.

So even if they elected to use single color LEDs but use the new Cherry MX RGB switches (which are really just clear plastic switches allowing the usage of any SMD LED you want) I think it would be a better design.

When they first introduced their Mechanical Keyboard Vengeance Series they got spanked with bad press by sneaking in rubber dome switches. It's of my opinion and several others that this was done to cut costs. The K70 fixed that by introducing all mechanical but apparently the LED's were dying left and right which I suspect was due to what you mentioned. Through hole LED mounted are not designed to handle repeated shock. I think Corsair meant well, but the design was flawed.

Fast forward to the K70 RGB, I think they finally got it right. With the LED's SMT mounted their is no shock transferred and its inherently protected from ESD due its mounting location. SMT technology has been around for sometime now. I am surprised that Corsair has not implemented this back in their original lighted mechanical keyboard.

If you want to know more about SMT LED's look up the wiki on it or do a search under Youtube for: SMD LED machine. Here's one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zepItjsYfLM

After finding out that this keyboard was using SMD instead of through hole that was the moment I pulled the trigger on getting one.

So the RGB is available to buy today. Anybody pull the trigger?

I did. After all the crap I talked previously I folded like a beach chair and ordered one :D

Seriously though, once I found out that they were using SMT to mount the LED's I pulled the trigger. I could not handle dead LED's and my eyes would wander to it all the time pissing me off LOL.

Just ordered mine from the Egg.
My wife will kill me if she finds out I spent $170 on a keyboard :cool:

Hoping the MX Brown version shows up soon. Looks pretty sweet from the videos.

Back