New corsair 100% mechanical Keyboard

Corsair seems to like cherry reds

do they have any options to modify the lighting colors?

/\ its cuz a lot of people say reds are the best setup for games. Of course a bunch of people disagree which I am starting to learn is a common thing with mechanical kb, everyone disagrees, everyone has their favorite.

There is some crap going around about other switch types not being as good for double-tapping etc. I have never had an issue with that so I don't know where that comes from. Though I'd imagine just like a lot of other weirdness it comes from cometitive gamers.

Beyond that people who are younger and didn't get into the hobby / industry when most keyboards were mechanical or typwriters were still in use sometimes can't handle the noise that goes with those keyboards. Even the younger gamers recognize that mechanical keyboards tend to feel better than membrane based keyboards do reguardless of switch type. And when typing isn't that big a concern but they can't stand the noise, consistent keypresses are what they are after. So Cherry MX Blacks and Reds make the most sense.

A lot of people say that Cherry MX Blacks are too stiff and they prefer the Cherry MX Reds to them. I think those are probably the same crowd who claim that some mice are too heavy. They need to hit the gym or something. I used a Deck Ice Legend for a year typing motherboard reviews and my long ass posts on it. I also used it for my day job. I type more in a couple of days than most people probably type in a week. I never felt Cherry MX Blacks were too stiff. But because this is the perception Cherry MX Reds have gained popularity in the last year or so. Cherry MX Reds are too soft for me. I bottom the keys out every time and I just didn't like the feel. I'm sure I could get used to it if I wanted to but I'm still not a fan of the switch type.

But if I were going to market a keyboard as a pure gaming solution I'd probably use Cherry MX Reds. It's what people want these days. If all I did was game and nothing else that would probably be a reasonable solution for me. The usage is different. But despite gaming a lot I still type more than I game. Cherry MX Blues are closest to the old IBM Model M with buckling spring switches so that's what I prefer.

I 100% agree DAN_D, I hear people talk about how blue switches are not good for gaming yada yada yada, they are just fine, I have absolutely no problems gaming on blue switches. I also dont think mechanical keyboards make you a better gamer. My scores did not improve at all going from a membrane to a mech. Typing defintely did but not playing video games.

I've used both mechanical keyboards and membranes. I've used crappy mice and good mice. As long as the mouse tracks well it's all the user, not the machine. There is a slight drop in my scores if I game on a lower end gaming machine but the difference is usually minimal. As long as the game runs well or at least consistently it's fine. But things do feel different on some other configurations. It's not that they are superior or inferior, but rather different. Mice, keyboards, monitors, frame rates, etc. as long as they are consistent just take getting used to. On my machine if I change keyboards and mice I have a slight drop in game scores for a couple hours or whatever and then once I'm used to them I've fine again. I experienced the same thing going from a CRT to an LCD monitor. turning on V-Sync or turning it off does the same thing.

But at no point in the two decades I've been playing computer games have I ever dramatically improved my game scores by changing mice or keyboards.

oh internets so full of opinion..... everything i have read / seen suggests that it is good there are as many different MX switch types as there are as different people have different tastes / needs.

I couldn't use a mx-blue keyboard right now if i wanted to... the noise kinda drives me crazy but where my computer is my wife would hit me in the head w/ a mx blue keyboard in about 30minutes probably... (well she wouldn't hit me with it..but she'd not be happy.)

I am new to the mechanical keyboards ....I have two a MX-Brown WASD V1 and MX-Red Rosewill...

either one is miles ahead of the membrane keyboards I'd used in the past ....my WASD has the dampers .2mm reduction installed and it is just the best thing ever... little noise great feel for me... the rosewill feels fine to me for typing or gaming ...I'm going to install dampers on it I think as the bottoming out noise is god awful however.

I spend some time using a MX-Blue keyboard and the noise is too much for me...but whatever that is part of the reason why it is great there are so many choices something for just about anyone.

I think i could game fine on blues but i find the noise unpleasant...so I'd rather not... if anyone else wants to good on em'

blah blah blah there is no "good" or "bad" or "best" there is good for you and good for someone else and that may not be the same good for everyone.

I disagree a bit on mice / keyboards not making you better in games.... if you have a keyboard that doesn't suit you... I bought (terrible idea..but my wife likes it so she uses it.) a Logitech Illuminated keyboard and tried to use it for about 2 weeks ....it was a disaster for gaming my scores plummeted to the basement.

I also had a Corsair M60 mouse for just under 2 weeks last year... my hand is too big to use it comfortably and the scroll wheel sucks (imho) again my gaming was terrible... I returned it and got a G500 couldn't be happier now.

In my opinion it all comes down to not "fighting" your keyboard — or any other peripheral — in respect of comfort, regardless of the switch type. From there it is a question of personal preference or habit no matter the intended use.

Many told me that MX Reds are too soft and if I would rest my fingers on the keys (which I tend to do) I would accidentally activate the key press. I was also told they would be great for gaming but terrible for typing. My personal experience has been nothing of the sort and I am comfortable and enjoy gaming as much as typing on them. All in all one has to try things out to see what suits him/her.

oh internets so full of opinion..... everything i have read / seen suggests that it is good there are as many different MX switch types as there are as different people have different tastes / needs.

I couldn't use a mx-blue keyboard right now if i wanted to... the noise kinda drives me crazy but where my computer is my wife would hit me in the head w/ a mx blue keyboard in about 30minutes probably... (well she wouldn't hit me with it..but she'd not be happy.)

I am new to the mechanical keyboards ....I have two a MX-Brown WASD V1 and MX-Red Rosewill...

either one is miles ahead of the membrane keyboards I'd used in the past ....my WASD has the dampers .2mm reduction installed and it is just the best thing ever... little noise great feel for me... the rosewill feels fine to me for typing or gaming ...I'm going to install dampers on it I think as the bottoming out noise is god awful however.

I spend some time using a MX-Blue keyboard and the noise is too much for me...but whatever that is part of the reason why it is great there are so many choices something for just about anyone.

I think i could game fine on blues but i find the noise unpleasant...so I'd rather not... if anyone else wants to good on em'

blah blah blah there is no "good" or "bad" or "best" there is good for you and good for someone else and that may not be the same good for everyone.

I disagree a bit on mice / keyboards not making you better in games.... if you have a keyboard that doesn't suit you... I bought (terrible idea..but my wife likes it so she uses it.) a Logitech Illuminated keyboard and tried to use it for about 2 weeks ....it was a disaster for gaming my scores plummeted to the basement.

I also had a Corsair M60 mouse for just under 2 weeks last year... my hand is too big to use it comfortably and the scroll wheel sucks (imho) again my gaming was terrible... I returned it and got a G500 couldn't be happier now.

Good point. Though I've been able to get used to bad peripherals and my scores were fine after adjusting to them. Now I admit that comfort is a consideration. If you don't like the peripherals you may end up focused on how bad they are which does effect your performance. Though that's more in your head than anything. Issues where mice don't track right or something is broken is another issue entirely. Those can effect your gaming performance physically. But bad devices and preferences aside mice and keyboards do not make you a better player. It's your state of mind that does. Are you comfortable? Do you like the overall experience? If the answer is yes then you can play to your ability regardless of the peripherals.

Convenience does have some impact but it's not necessarily huge in my opinion. More mouse buttons can be an asset etc. but I don't think a two button mouse hurts you too much. With two mouse buttons and a decent scroll wheel with a middle mouse function I'm good to go with any game.

I believe that people get used to what they have.
I believe that if you had the reds you would stop resting your fingers on the keyboard. When I told people I was gonna get a blank keyboard they thought I was crazy, at least I was terrible at it but within a week I could type on it faster than I could on a normal keyboard. I love my mx518/g400 and always say, i couldnt use any other mouse, but i think that withing time (few weeks) I can adapt to whatever.

Hell, I see ppl use those crazy trackball mice and microsoft ergo keyboards. I tried using those shits and hate it but I am sure I could get used to it.

But I do believe certain things have its advanges and if the mouse is too big for your hand then it will definitely cause your gaming to be inferior. But in terms of keyboards/switches I really dunno if there is a big difference. At least there wasnt with me when I moved to a mech keyboard.

What you are used to makes all the difference. Beyond that I don't think so. Though some things have a greater learning curve than others.

what you think?

I am thinking around $100-$120.

I feel like the bigger brands are putting out mech keyboards btw $80 and $120 then you have more specialized brands doing $120-$180

It's supposed to be $149.99 according to the Corsair Press Release.

Reds are preferred by top tier gamers because reflex speed is affected by a stiffer key. At the top levels every little detail is considered no matter how minor. So now of course gamer's who follow the pros take that as a product endorsement and don't consider anything else. Of course unless you are among the best then the difference isn't going to affect you.

Outside that limited group, it just boils down to preference. I prefer reds because I don't rest my fingers on the keys, type extremely fast and barely touch the keys. I tend to miss keystrokes on Brown's. That however is just me personally and how I type. Everyone is different and different switches are going to be best for different people. There is no perfect switch for all, just a perfect switch for you.

There is some crap going around about other switch types not being as good for double-tapping etc. I have never had an issue with that so I don't know where that comes from. Though I'd imagine just like a lot of other weirdness it comes from cometitive gamers.

Beyond that people who are younger and didn't get into the hobby / industry when most keyboards were mechanical or typwriters were still in use sometimes can't handle the noise that goes with those keyboards. Even the younger gamers recognize that mechanical keyboards tend to feel better than membrane based keyboards do reguardless of switch type. And when typing isn't that big a concern but they can't stand the noise, consistent keypresses are what they are after. So Cherry MX Blacks and Reds make the most sense.

A lot of people say that Cherry MX Blacks are too stiff and they prefer the Cherry MX Reds to them. I think those are probably the same crowd who claim that some mice are too heavy. They need to hit the gym or something. I used a Deck Ice Legend for a year typing motherboard reviews and my long ass posts on it. I also used it for my day job. I type more in a couple of days than most people probably type in a week. I never felt Cherry MX Blacks were too stiff. But because this is the perception Cherry MX Reds have gained popularity in the last year or so. Cherry MX Reds are too soft for me. I bottom the keys out every time and I just didn't like the feel. I'm sure I could get used to it if I wanted to but I'm still not a fan of the switch type.

But if I were going to market a keyboard as a pure gaming solution I'd probably use Cherry MX Reds. It's what people want these days. If all I did was game and nothing else that would probably be a reasonable solution for me. The usage is different. But despite gaming a lot I still type more than I game. Cherry MX Blues are closest to the old IBM Model M with buckling spring switches so that's what I prefer.

For shorter amounts of typing, blacks have been fine. If getting into a longer period of typing, I find I feel a bit more comfort with reds than blacks. Then again, I'm going to bottom out any key I press, so I prefer reds for their lighter touch.

I wouldn't mind having a keyboard with blacks and another with reds, but the budget isn't likely going to allow that just yet. I would love to eventually own a Maltron (MX blacks are the default), however, along with a Kinesis linear (MX reds). Along with standard full sized keyboards in black and red ;)

There is no perfect switch for all, just a perfect switch for you.

Ahahah, am I in a mechanical keyboard ad?

But the pros now do mech, before they did membrane and no one complained/were as good. Companies just want to sell keyboards really

Reds are preferred by top tier gamers because reflex speed is affected by a stiffer key. At the top levels every little detail is considered no matter how minor. So now of course gamer's who follow the pros take that as a product endorsement and don't consider anything else. Of course unless you are among the best then the difference isn't going to affect you.

Outside that limited group, it just boils down to preference. I prefer reds because I don't rest my fingers on the keys, type extremely fast and barely touch the keys. I tend to miss keystrokes on Brown's. That however is just me personally and how I type. Everyone is different and different switches are going to be best for different people. There is no perfect switch for all, just a perfect switch for you.

This 100%. People who play games seriously want the best they can get and are willing to spend a higher percentage of their income on their equipment.

I want to be the best I can be. The less effort the switch takes to activate the faster my reactions can be. Ideally the force required to press it would be as light as possible without undesired activations. For me this would be something I can lightly rest my finger on which would probably go as low as 25g versus the 45g for the red switches.

this will be replacing my k90 i hate that my macro keys an f keys are ruber dome and not mechanical.

Wow. You guys dont want macro keys? You know they can be programmed to just about anything? like opening notepad, cod, a browser or for pasting in text macros for for instance games like lol where u have to be quick to say what positions you prefer to play.

My primary beef with macro keys is that they make the boards even wider. I don't have huge desks, one has a keyboard drawer and I think that the extra macro columns would be just too much space taken from the mouse surface area.

On a side note, I picked up a second Cherry blue board today. The CMStorm Quickfire Rapid. It's rather striking how different it feels in comparison to my Razer BWU. We'll see how the TKL goes though. At worst it'll go on the laptop where the BWU moved but so far it is more pleasant to type on it over the BWU. Interestingly it's quieter too, especially the space bar. Just much more "solid" is how I would describe it. But, yeah, at this point I'm totally sold on blues. Tactile and clicky just is the perfect combination and the actuation force is right about ideal for me. I tried the other boards they had at Microcenter and found I didn't like the reds were linear when used for typing and the browns just felt more mushy to me, just not enough tactile feel to them compared to the blues.

I've got two of those CM Storm QuickFire Rapids. I like them a lot. They feel very similar if not identical to the Das Keyboard professional. After comparing keycaps they are almost the same. Evidently the CM Storm QuickFire Rapid is made by the same OEM that makes the Filco and Das Keyboards. I had a chance to Check out the Ducky with Cherry MX Reds at Microcenter last night. The packaging is super cheap and the keys felt OK for Cherry MX Reds. I liked the keyboards small foot print but the quality seemed only mediocre. That was my first impression at least.

Interesting, but I love the classic look and feel of my Filco Ninja. Its a sexy little thing, I can't stray...

As for macros keys, they are addictive once you start using them. I started with three or four, then ended up getting an 80 key x-keys keyboard that I still outgrew... So, really... having a few macros keys on your keyboard is cool for macro virgins, but you will outgrow it quickly.

I know I would macro shit like firebox and pshop and then forget about it and never use it plus the reason I got 32gb of ram is to have everything open all the time ;)

I know I would macro shit like firebox and pshop and then forget about it and never use it plus the reason I got 32gb of ram is to have everything open all the time ;)

That's... not really what macro keys on a gaming keyboard are for, you use them in MMO's and RPG's.

That's... not really what macro keys on a gaming keyboard are for, you use them in MMO's and RPG's.

I know but I do not play MMOs or RPGs so they would have no use for me.

I mean you can also do some pshop shortcuts on them and tehy can work decently for that but its not really what they are indednted for.

Should I buy the k90 now while it's on sale at Newegg or should I wait until the k95 comes out to see if the k90 will have a price drop?

Should I buy the k90 now while it's on sale at Newegg or should I wait until the k95 comes out to see if the k90 will have a price drop?

If you are not in a rush for a new keyboard then I would wait. The cheapest I have seen the K90 go for is about $75 after rebate. With the release of the K95 I wouldn't be surprised to see the K90 get to that price again or even lower.

If you are not in a rush for a new keyboard then I would wait. The cheapest I have seen the K90 go for is about $75 after rebate. With the release of the K95 I wouldn't be surprised to see the K90 get to that price again or even lower.

Damn...it's 159.99 at Microcenter. D:

I just wonder if it's near as good as my Ducky Shine 2 w/Cherry Reds, same price point at $150 for the K95.

I think my keyboard's age is in the double digits by now. It's this motherfucker.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41SYjqOSO9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I can type over 100 wpm on it, the keys still feel fine to me, and it still works fine save for some rare, rogue keypresses. It's basically invincible as well. I'm not sure if I'm retarded or what because I don't get why anyone would pay $150 for a keyboard. Or $100. Or $50...

I'm not sure if I'm retarded or what because I don't get why anyone would pay $150 for a keyboard. Or $100. Or $50...

Preference, you're more likely to be more productive using tools that you're comfortable with over something you (more or less) randomly pick up.

I think my keyboard's age is in the double digits by now. It's this motherfucker.

I can type over 100 wpm on it, the keys still feel fine to me, and it still works fine save for some rare, rogue keypresses. It's basically invincible as well. I'm not sure if I'm retarded or what because I don't get why anyone would pay $150 for a keyboard. Or $100. Or $50...

I pay that for keyboards because I find typing on cheap keyboards to be an unpleasant experience. What can I say? I like nice things.

I have one of those at work. I can type over 100 WPM on it, but I can easily type 20% faster on my Corsair K90. When I try to type to fast on the work keyboard I get tons of errors because the keys are too heavy but my K90 has no problem keeping up with my speed. I can also do macros on my K90 and control my music and videos with the media keys. When I'm at work I feel like I'm limited by my keyboard and it actually feels really gross to use after using nice mechanical keys.

I was doing some research about mechanical keyboards and wanted to see if Corsair was going to make a gen2 K60. The only thing I could find was a few pics; it looks like the next gen K60 will be called the K70 and will be backlit.

http://forums.hexus.net/pc-hardware/273249-corsair-vengeance-k70.html
I like the one on the right. Looks like a backlit K60.

1429el4.jpg

Last edited:
Back