New construction home, looking for ideas for my little MDF. Should I fix how these cables that are coming out of the wall?

AeonF1

[H]ard|Gawd
So my new construction home is nearly complete, I have asked the electrician to instead of doing the standard terminate all low voltage wiring into a structured media cabinet in a coat closet somewhere, have it all go into a nook in the garage where I will punched them down into a patch panel inside an enclosed 12U wall mounted rack. Lets just say I'm not too pleased with how all the cables are coming out of a single big hole in the wall but we're still a month away from the close of escrow so I could possibly change some things.

The thing that bothers me the most is the CAT6, RG6 (will not be using), 16/2 24VDC (to power the motorized blinds), and AT&T Fiber cables are all bundled together in this one big hole. The DC power cables will be going into a separate distro panel but the rest will go into the rack. Should I do anything to clean this up? At least, I would like to have the DC cables to come out of a separate hole since its going to a different box not to mention the mixing power with data cables triggers my OCD.

I'm also unsure if I should mount the rack above the hole or directly on it to conceal all the ugliness but I prefer it up higher for space and dust reasons not mention I rather not have it mounted right in the center of the wall, I could also just get a bigger rack to fill the space and cram more IT gear. Should I ask them to relocate the hole higher and patch up he old hole? Throw on some plywood over the whole thing and make new holes through that?

Basically I'm trying to make this as clean as possible by exposing the least amount of cables.

Rack: https://www.tripplite.com/smartrack...nclosure-cabinet-clear-acrylic-window~SRW12UG

Pic of said hole:
PXL_20210116_234452862.jpg

You should be able to get an enclosure to put there to contain the wiring. You'd have to cut a hole in the drywall to put it in, then patch around it to clean the look. I'm not due why they didn't do that as they were pulling wires and before putting in the drywall. And I'm with you about mixing the power and low voltage together, I've seen that cause signal noise unless it's shielded cat5/6.

Gotcha, so get a recessed flanged box. I believe I can do that on my own if I'm careful drywall knife. My other option was to make a hole with a grommet but I like the box idea better.

Gotcha, so get a recessed flanged box. I believe I can do that on my own if I'm careful drywall knife. My other option was to make a hole with a grommet but I like the box idea better.
Yaa, basically you'd be installing a smart panel box, which is the way to go. I'd say be sure to get one with a door or cover, just to keep it that much cleaner.

Your lucky you got that. Be happy. Bought my house 4 years ago and builder would not let me run any cabling. Got lucky and they ran Cat 5e and used them for phone jacks. Was enough to get me 3 in wall APs and have my rack in my garage.

Back