New Computer Rig Turning On and Off

So I just built a computer, and everytime I press the power switch the computer would turn on for a couple seconds and turn off repeatedly. I already tried removing the CMOS battery and that did not fix the issue.

Computer parts:
ASUS Maximus ITX
AX 1200i
GTX Titan Black Superclocked
1TB SSD, 1TB Velociraptor, 4TB Black
Corsair 2133MHZ 16GB
H100i

Do you know why its doing this? I only have the PSU cable from the Ax1200i that is one cable on the end to two 8 and 6 pins. Do you think that because its not two individual 8pin cable from the PSU that is making the computer turn on and off?

Thanks

You need to start at the basics. Strip the machine down to the minimum required for POST and work your way up from there. PSU+Mobo+CPU+RAM+Keyboard+display connected to on-board video. From there, you should be able to figure out which component addition induces the Power-up issue once it's been added.

As an aside, no snark intended: Is there a reason you decided to mate a 1200W PSU to an ITX machine?

You need to start at the basics. Strip the machine down to the minimum required for POST and work your way up from there. PSU+Mobo+CPU+RAM+Keyboard+display connected to on-board video. From there, you should be able to figure out which component addition induces the Power-up issue once it's been added.

As an aside, no snark intended: Is there a reason you decided to mate a 1200W PSU to an ITX machine?

Just got a good deal on it so I just put it in this build. Do you know which plug the PSU cable that has one end from the PSU to the GPU with 2 ends (8 and 6 pin)?

Do you know which plug the PSU cable that has one end from the PSU to the GPU with 2 ends (8 and 6 pin)?

Not sure what you're asking. If your question is "Am I familiar with the 6+2 pin style of PCI-E plug?" Then the answer is "yes". :)

Not sure what you're asking. If your question is "Am I familiar with the 6+2 pin style of PCI-E plug?" Then the answer is "yes". :)

I'm asking that the AX 1200i comes with the regular GPU cables that has one end coming from the PSU to the GPU which is 6+2 pin, but it also has a unique cable that has one end coming from the PSU to the GPU which is two ends (2 6+2 pins connectors) to reduce cable clutter. I have a strong feeling that maybe it doesn't have enough power to boot up the GPU which is causing the computer to turn on and off; however I don't have the single PSU cables to try out to see.

you can always try to boot with the integrated graphics from your Intel processor. But I believe the problem is your Motherboard needs a bios update to support your "devil's canyon" chip?

you can always try to boot with the integrated graphics from your Intel processor. But I believe the problem is your Motherboard needs a bios update to support your "devil's canyon" chip?

I got a 4770k. Forgot to list that. Would the Processor be the problem? Would it cause it to turn on and off? I honestly would try it out but I don't have any spare sitting around.

Not sure if you have tried it or not, but you should really remove everything and try to boot with only the motherboard, power supply and cpu. Use the on board graphics connector of the motherboard. Oh yeah and some memory. Take out the video cards, hard drives, etc. See if you can get the board to post with on board video and smallest amount of memory first. Once you have done that, post back here with results and configuration.

I'm asking that the AX 1200i comes with the regular GPU cables that has one end coming from the PSU to the GPU which is 6+2 pin, but it also has a unique cable that has one end coming from the PSU to the GPU which is two ends (2 6+2 pins connectors) to reduce cable clutter. I have a strong feeling that maybe it doesn't have enough power to boot up the GPU which is causing the computer to turn on and off; however I don't have the single PSU cables to try out to see.

Funnily enough, I'm asking a similar question in this thread :p

I got a 4770k. Forgot to list that. Would the Processor be the problem? Would it cause it to turn on and off? I honestly would try it out but I don't have any spare sitting around.

I doubt it's the CPU. I would definitely remove the GPU from the equation entirely by pulling it and seeing if the system runs properly from on-board video. If it does, then the GPU /GPU power situation is the point of failure and can be tested further.

You may be correct, that the daisy-chain PCI-E link is part of the issue. Did the PSU not come with those modular cables? Corsair has replacements you can buy** :)

** actually, I'm not sure these would work, but you could certainly contact Corsair to ask.

Not sure if you have tried it or not, but you should really remove everything and try to boot with only the motherboard, power supply and cpu. Use the on board graphics connector of the motherboard. Oh yeah and some memory. Take out the video cards, hard drives, etc. See if you can get the board to post with on board video and smallest amount of memory first. Once you have done that, post back here with results and configuration.

Will definitely do that next week and post back, so busy this weekend. It's such a hassle taking the optical drive from my 250d out.

Funnily enough, I'm asking a similar question in this thread :p

I doubt it's the CPU. I would definitely remove the GPU from the equation entirely by pulling it and seeing if the system runs properly from on-board video. If it does, then the GPU /GPU power situation is the point of failure and can be tested further.

You may be correct, that the daisy-chain PCI-E link is part of the issue. Did the PSU not come with those modular cables? Corsair has replacements you can buy** :)

** actually, I'm not sure these would work, but you could certainly contact Corsair to ask.

It did come with the modular cables, but I sold it to my cousin. I also misplaced the manual so maybe I might have plugged the daisy chained GPU cable in the wrong connector? I'm going to try to boot the system up without the GPU and see what happens from there.

Thanks for inputs!!

Don't take out the drives, just disconnect the power and sata cables. But do take out the video and any other cards plugged into the motherboard.

There just something very weird with this build. So I took out all the wires externally, with the exception of the power cord being plugged in, the computer boots up just fine. But when mount the drive cage which is sort of bending the pcie cable for the gpu that's when the computer turns on and off. Why is this? I have the corsair 250d and there is no other way to not bend the gpu cable without having the cd drive bay. WTH.

Do you have some means to take pictures and post them? I'm not familiar with the case and my imagination isn't what it used to be due to adult on-set cynicism.

There just something very weird with this build. So I took out all the wires externally, with the exception of the power cord being plugged in, the computer boots up just fine. But when mount the drive cage which is sort of bending the pcie cable for the gpu that's when the computer turns on and off. Why is this? I have the corsair 250d and there is no other way to not bend the gpu cable without having the cd drive bay. WTH.

Sounds like either there is a short in the cable that's being introduced when it's bent, or possibly the bend is also putting some pressure on the GPU itself, bending it slightly in its slot. Carefully observe the wiring situation on the PCI-E plug(s) when you do this and see if there's perhaps some contact happening at the cables where they enter the plug.

Hi guys,
Back at it again.
So I replaced the motherboard, GPU, and PSU, so I am still get the same turning on and off issue. I don't know WTH is up with this build. The only thing I could think is that it could be my Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 MHZ 1.65v memory causing the issue. I have the H100i that has the tubes protruding out a bit slightly bending one of the RAMs in the opposite direction. Do you think this might be the issue because its bending a little bit? OR is it because its 1.65v and the motherboard is unable to handle it? I'm honestly stuck here. This build has been giving me too much problems

I would lean towards the 1.65v RAM.

Intel recommends 1.5v RAM for Haswell.

Haswell runs ram well above 1.65v with no trouble. Seems there's a short with your case perhaps. Test it outside the case if you haven't and maybe try to change out the standoffs.

Haswell runs ram well above 1.65v with no trouble. Seems there's a short with your case perhaps. Test it outside the case if you haven't and maybe try to change out the standoffs.

I was looking at the manual again and it doesn't have my memory listed on it. Does that mean it can't support it? I also read that it could be that the motherboard is short circuiting. If it is, how will I fix the issue? The standoffs are pretty much soldered onto the case, so do I have to buy some washers or something?

IMO if it were the RAM it would not be intermittent. Generally the manuals list of qualified memory vendors is best to use but if the ram works at all on your mobo them it's not a compatibility issue, as far as I know. It is totally possible there's a screw or loose piece inside your machine. Good thing to do is completely disassemble the system and clean the case and put it all back together again. Turn eveything upside down and make sure no loose change is in there :)

Lets say that my build before shortcircuited. So I changed the PSU, MOBO, and GPU. What if I didn't change the wires. Is it possible that wires (PSU cables) will get damaged and cease to work anymore; therefore, making my new replacement not work as well? Should I just replace the PSU cables?

take the whole thhing out of the case and start it up on a wood table........

PSU, MOBO w/ memory ....(mem sticks go in pairs make sure they r in correct Slots Example 1&3 or 2&4..look at your manual for MOBO it will tell you)
Try that....and report back if it post. If so, then a short to case...you can get Plastic washer that keep Mobo isolated from case.... EZ fix

are you getting any BEEPS ? on start up ?

After further investigation.....
I think I figured out the problem. Upon reading the manual, I found that when the QLED lights up it indicates the problem coming from the CPU. However, the led light is not blinking rather it is making the computer turn on and off. Do defective CPUs usually make the computer turn on and off?

well, you can pull the CPU and check to see if you Bent the pins on install......

Back