New computer is crashing...still.

Edgar

2[H]4U
I need to test my hard drive because it's the only thing I have not test. It's an intel 80gb ssd g2. Is hitachi tools thing the best one?

System in my sig. I've tested ram for about 6 hours with memtest. Passed.

Tested CPU with prime95 for another 6 hours. Passed.

Reinstalled OS directly on ahci mode.

Just tested my gpu with furmark for 20 mins everything on high. Passed never went passed 74c.

Updated my bios to the latest one succesfully.

System is not OC'd. Bios is default except for correct ram timings and ahci mode. Drivers are all up to date.

System randomly BSOD's. Usually happens about 3 or 4 times then after the 4th restart is stable. Very odd.

I'm frustrated as hell! Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Yeah Hitachi DFT should work I think.

The only parts you haven't ruled out is the mobo, PSU, sound card, and SSD.

And what exact crashes are you getting? In other words, is there a set pattern for these crashes?

I'm trying to find a friend with a voltage meter so that I can test the psu. I can rule out the sound card because I had the crashes before I even installed the sound card (when I was running onboard audio). Not sure how I would test mobo?

The pattern usually is bsod about 3 or 4 times then rock solid.

Damn I really don't have the money for another X58 mobo. I guess I could rma this one once I test everything else first right?

I really hope it's not the mobo that thing was kind of a bitch to install and the heatsink as well.

Last edited:
Here's a few things you may be able to try:

1) If you reinstalled the OS before doing the bios update I'd suggest doing a repair install now that the new OS is on the drive. This was a common problem under XP back in the day.

2) Try removing your SSD and use a standard S-ata drive in the event you have one.

3) Lastly, before going thorugh the trouble of removing the board try and see if a friend would be willing to let you try his/her PSU in the event it's your power supply.

These suggestions may or may not work but it would certainly save you the hastle of having to remove the board if it isn't required. I'll see what else I can come up with as well and if I come up with anything else I'll be sure to do another post. However, I'm thinking a faulty supply at this point. Good luck!

Last edited:
Try another hd as Jaz709 suggested, thi is probably the easiest thing to test.

Hitachi DFT doesn't detect my drives :( any other HDD diagnostic software? I see if I have a spare HDD I can use to test.

Going to install another HDD see if that helps. But I finally was able to read the BSOD. It said "Page fault in non paged area". Whaaaaa?

I think it could be either the PSU or mobo

did you look at EVENT VIEWER to see what causes the crash?

Power fluctuations or a cut off of power can cause a system crash, obviously, but even a one time incident can leave your components damaged, that's another problem.

I would google the Paging Area thing, are you using a trimmed install of Windows 7? Those have been popular and they trim the install by removing the Paging files in it. That cuts it in half i believe, if not more. I remember reading that a while back, so that might be old and no longer reliable information, but I would look into that if i were you. Test your SSD in another computer, which should be pretty easy since you can just remove it and stick it into another computer without issue.

try installing the OS on another drive as well, to see if the problem persists.

Back