new computer, fried motherboard?

Knuckles5

n00b
So i put together this computer and the first time i try to turn it on everything works. It enters into the bios, and everything seems to be working properly. I put in the xp disk and it fails to read it so i restart the computer with the disk inside it. this is when the problems began. He cd got stuck, the cd-r was not opperational and neither was the harddrive. all fans were working properly but my monitor was on standby. i could no longer get into the bios. I tried a new power supply, still no good. I used a cd drive from my old computer, wouldn't work, no lights or opening. I then changed around the molexes, did everything i could. I tested the cd drive on my old computer and wa-la it works. I then test the harddrive and it seems to be opperating. All the parts were working fine, but once they became attached to the motherboard they failed to even turn on. I figured then that the problem must be with the motherboard. I really need help with this.

specs
corsair 1g pc3200
biostar matx geforce 6100
6800xt pci-e
wd 120gb hd 7200rpm
amd 64 3000
19" LG lcd monitor
powersupply came with case 450w logisys

any help would be much appreciated.

Pull everything out of the case and only put what is necessary to boot motherboard on a formica table (or something similar), clear the bios, start fresh. I like to have my OS up and running BEFORE I put everything in the case.
try it.
gwarren007

gwarren007 said:
Pull everything out of the case and only put what is necessary to boot motherboard on a formica table (or something similar), clear the bios, start fresh. I like to have my OS up and running BEFORE I put everything in the case.
try it.
gwarren007
I tried running it on with onboard graphics and the most basic parts and still the monitor stays on standby. Also when i do not plug in th IDE cables my harddrive and cd drive function perfectly fine, but once they are plugged into the motherboard they cease to function.

I think i should just get a different motherboard unless anyone else has any suggestions?

Out of curiousity, have you tried resetting the CMOS. Maybe you changed something you shouldn't have.

KlutZ said:
Out of curiousity, have you tried resetting the CMOS. Maybe you changed something you shouldn't have.

I have tried to reset it a few times and nothing changes. I also fooled around with the CMOS to see if i could change something but also nothing happened. the motherboard must be defective or something..

any other comments or help?

Knuckles5 said:
I tried running it on with onboard graphics and the most basic parts and still the monitor stays on standby. Also when i do not plug in th IDE cables my harddrive and cd drive function perfectly fine, but once they are plugged into the motherboard they cease to function.

I think i should just get a different motherboard unless anyone else has any suggestions?

my new computer is doing the same thing. whenever i connect the IDE cables the drives don't do anything, but whenever they just have power they work fine...I'm also interesting in an answer to this anomily.

Back