New computer can't install XP, "reboot and select proper boot device.."

Stiler

[H]F Junkie
Asus p5q-deluxe
WD6400aaks SATA hd set to IDE mode
Nec 3520a dvd-rw

I have the dvd on the IDE cable as master.

The SATA and dvd drive are both detected in bios/post.

I have the boot priority set to dvd and then the HD.

When I go to enter the os it just keeps saying "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press any key" no matter what I do.

I have tried both my original legit XP disc and a slipstreamed SP2 xp disc, both give the same thing.

The problem is that the installation CD does not have drivers for your SATA devices. You need to first download the dos drivers (on a disk!), and when you start your setup of windows xp, It will say something like "press F6 to install 3rd party SCSI Drivers" or similar.

You will go into those options, and windows will load your drivers into its setup so it can see your drive!

I've never seen a situation where an Intel chipset board needs a driver loaded for regular IDE mode for its SATA controller. That may not be the issue here though, because you would get a different error message, about how no hard drives were found in the system. Check the data cables for your CD drive.

I had a similar problem recently.
I just took the HD out of the boot list. then I would get prompted to press any key to boot from CD.

strange.

Thanks guys, I had someone in another thread fix it.

All I needed to do was take my IDE dvd drive and put the jumper on it to Cable select and it worked.

Back