New Chrome Browser This Week with Lots of Great Features

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Autostart videos got you down? Yes, those sites suck, and we try our best not to link those here, and if we do we try to give you a heads up. The newest version of the Chrome browser that is due out this week will allow you to permanently mute specific websites so even when you return and the video runs, you do not have to hear it. Yahoo! This new version will also support HDR if you have the Fall Creators Update and an HDR display and GPU. Other additions are Meltdown and Spectre fixes, and muting reminder ads on sites.

I installed the 64 beta on Android yesterday because of reports it had a framebuster killer, and a site I go to uses an ad network that is regularly infected by framebusting fake "you have a virus" and "you won an amazon gift card" ads. Those are extra-nasty because they replace the page they came from in the browser's history, meaning you can't back out of them.

The beta seems to work, although you have to manually turn on the feature.

It's not clear if the release 64 will have the feature on by default, and you have to find it in chrome://flags in the beta.

i really enjoy sites that start off with auto play videos or have other stuff they cram into your face upon visiting as it gives me another opportunity to add to the LONG list of sites i will not visit again.

How does one patch a browser against Spectre and Meltdown? If the OS and Firmware are (are not) patched, isn't this redundant (irrelevant)?

2 essential Chrome features that are needed:

- Block all site notifications by default
- Auto-confirm all 'this site collects cookies' notifications

It's so aggravating having to click those things for a thousand different sites. And then all over again, with each new OS installation.

2 essential Chrome features that are needed:

- Block all site notifications by default
- Auto-confirm all 'this site collects cookies' notifications

It's so aggravating having to click those things for a thousand different sites. And then all over again, with each new OS installation.

You can turn off the notifications with one Settings switch.

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/3220216?co=GENIE.Platform=Desktop&hl=en

They can't default to block all as some notifications are useful to some people. I allow notifications in things like Inbox and Google Docs.

I installed the 64 beta on Android yesterday because of reports it had a framebuster killer, and a site I go to uses an ad network that is regularly infected by framebusting fake "you have a virus" and "you won an amazon gift card" ads. Those are extra-nasty because they replace the page they came from in the browser's history, meaning you can't back out of them.

The beta seems to work, although you have to manually turn on the feature.

It's not clear if the release 64 will have the feature on by default, and you have to find it in chrome://flags in the beta.

So far for me on 3 different PCs the official Chrome 64 defaults the the framebusting to Enabled.

Unless they add a true auto play block feature and it is also included in the mobile version, no fucks are given.

This has drove me crazy and ever time a browser (FF or Chrome) announces they will block autoplay I switch only to find out it really does not block anything. With that said I've come across the FF plugin called "Disable HTML5 autoplay" and it works rather well. A few sites it does some funky stuff too, but you can white list them.

This has drove me crazy and ever time a browser (FF or Chrome) announces they will block autoplay I switch only to find out it really does not block anything. With that said I've come across the FF plugin called "Disable HTML5 autoplay" and it works rather well. A few sites it does some funky stuff too, but you can white list them.

I use the same on Chrome. Sadly it doesn't work across all videos anymore. Sports Illustrated is particularly bad. :mad:

Nice. Big thanks.

One drawback: jerk sites that use 3rd-party libraries to put up notifications asking you to subscribe anyway. Tom's Hardware does that. Well, they used to until I disabled JS for their domain due to that and those autoplay ads that they were dynamically inserting into pages.

Back