New CG, Gameplay Trailers Released for Baldur's Gate 3; Will Only Release on PC

erek

[H]F Junkie
Baldur's Gate, an iconic franchise with it's 3rd iteration coming soon!

"It's interesting to note that Baldur's Gate 3 executive producer David Walgrave told Eurogamer that the game is currently only being developed for PC, with no intention of releasing it on current-gen consoles. According to the producer, "I don't think that current-gen consoles would be able to run it. There's a lot of technical upgrades and updates that we did to our engine. I don't know if it would be capable of being able to actually run on those things. Maybe it could run, but then we would have to tone down the textures and this and that and it wouldn't look as cool anymore." Do you think the shown graphics justify that the games aren't being developed for current-gen consoles, or do you think Larian is simply catering to their prime market first?"

https://www.techpowerup.com/264319/...ed-for-baldurs-gate-3-will-only-release-on-pc

It overwhelmingly looks like a clone of D:OS. And the combat just looks like playing D:OS2. Let me know when it has RTwP implemented and so will be an actual Baldur's Gate series game.

Reactions: erek
like this
I will prolly bite when it comes out, likely close to release date.

Reactions: erek
like this
Finally found some time to watch it... and yeah, feeling pumped for it. Not planning on getting into Early Access, mind you. I'll play it when it's good and ready.

I enjoyed Divinity, but never finished it. The humor of it was a little too much for me (in that it was too goofy). Judging by BG3's trailer and early gameplay - it feels more similar to DA: Origins in tone.

IMO, this absolutely a PR ploy to prop up their PC fanbase-------but there will be a port on the next gen consoles.

IMO, this absolutely a PR ploy to prop up their PC fanbase-------but there will be a port on the next gen consoles.

Quite possibly. Larian said it wouldn't release on current consoles - not that it wouldn't release on the upcoming consoles, which are going to release very soon. So, I think Larian already have a console version planned.

Quite possibly. Larian said it wouldn't release on current consoles - not that it wouldn't release on the upcoming consoles, which are going to release very soon. So, I think Larian already have a console version planned.

Yeah. Probably not until the full game is done though. Which makes sense. Early Access stuff is a bit of a mess on consoles.

Zero chance this is PC exclusive. Only reason the console port wasn't announced is because the consoles it's going to be on haven't been officially announced.

Zero chance this is PC exclusive. Only reason the console port wasn't announced is because the consoles it's going to be on haven't been officially announced.

Have you not been paying attention? The PS5 and Xbox Series X have been officially announced for a while. There was even a PS5 game revealed at the Game Awards and MS revealed the Series X there.

Have you not been paying attention? The PS5 and Xbox Series X have been officially announced for a while. There was even a PS5 game revealed at the Game Awards and MS revealed the Series X there.

You should brush up on your reading comprehension.

Aaaaand has Stadia exclusive content. How nice.

It's not really anything notable. It's just leveraging upcoming Stadia tech for streaming interactivity stuff. More like exclusive features than actual game content..

I’m in, either it’s real-time with pause or DOS combat, both DoS and DoS 2 are masterpieces of CRPG goodness.

Looks exactly like DOS.

Which I enjoyed. Quite a lot. One time. Zero joy of replay in that genre, IMHO. I'd rather go tabletop, or leave CRPG roll grinding back in the 90s.

Just so everybody knows, Larian's "Baldur's Gate 3" game isn't a sequel to the Baldur's Gate series in story or gameplay, and it is officially a sequel to Descent Into Avernus, which Larian helped write the story for.

Larian have said the choice to make their "BG3" in the style it is and with TB combat was theirs alone, and that they chose to do it this way to promote their DOS formula and not take any risks:

Larian's David Walgrave: "The choices that we made are ours. Why did we go for turn-based instead of real-time with pause? Because D&D to us is a turn-based game and we're really good - or we have become really good - with turn-based combat. So that, I think, is one of our strengths, and trying out real-time with pause for now, just because the originals were that? It's a big risk. Because the team would have to think completely differently, our combat would be completely different. And we didn't really feel good about that. Normally we do try out a lot. Normally we try out a lot before we make a decision, but with real-time with pause and turn-based we didn't, we just said "Okay it's just gonna be turn-based.""

Larian's owner, Swen, outright stated that they're only using the Baldur's Gate name because it's more famous than the Divinity name and will boost the DOS brand and hopefully get more people playing their DOS games:

Swen: "... so, the chance to do that, and to bring what basically is our RPG identity to Baldur's Gate as a franchise was an opportunity too good to resist. And so, what it will do for us... uh, what we think it will do for us is it's going to show a larger segment of people, because I think Baldur's Gate 3 will reach more people than Divinity will have done... it will show a larger segment of the population what our RPGs feel like and hopefully bring them to play our other games also."

So, Larian's "BG3" isn't actually Baldur's Gate 3, and it isn't at-all attempting to be a Baldur's Gate 3. It's a completely separate game with unrelateable gameplay and style, and its purpose is to boost Larian's DOS brand and not to deliver another Baldur's Gate game. Calling it "Baldur's Gate 3" is strictly a cash-grab in the full meaning of the term.

I say this also knowing that a lot of people are fans of DOS2 and don't really know or care about the Baldur's Gate series, and so hearing that Larian's "BG3" is actually just DOS3 done in D&D will make them happy. But I think it's disrespectful to the series and its fans. Larian should be calling the game Baldur's Gate: Descent Into Avernus 2, or something else. Since their only motivation to call it Baldur's Gate 3 is tap the expectations BG fans have while not delivering on any of them, in order to boost their DOS brand, it's a sell-out move.

Link?

Just so everybody knows, Larian's "Baldur's Gate 3" game isn't a sequel to the Baldur's Gate series in story or gameplay, and it is officially a sequel to Descent Into Avernus, which Larian helped write the story for.

Larian have said the choice to make their "BG3" in the style it is and with TB combat was theirs alone, and that they chose to do it this way to promote their DOS formula and not take any risks:

Larian's David Walgrave: "The choices that we made are ours. Why did we go for turn-based instead of real-time with pause? Because D&D to us is a turn-based game and we're really good - or we have become really good - with turn-based combat. So that, I think, is one of our strengths, and trying out real-time with pause for now, just because the originals were that? It's a big risk. Because the team would have to think completely differently, our combat would be completely different. And we didn't really feel good about that. Normally we do try out a lot. Normally we try out a lot before we make a decision, but with real-time with pause and turn-based we didn't, we just said "Okay it's just gonna be turn-based.""

Larian's owner, Swen, outright stated that they're only using the Baldur's Gate name because it's more famous than the Divinity name and will boost the DOS brand and hopefully get more people playing their DOS games:

Swen: "... so, the chance to do that, and to bring what basically is our RPG identity to Baldur's Gate as a franchise was an opportunity too good to resist. And so, what it will do for us... uh, what we think it will do for us is it's going to show a larger segment of people, because I think Baldur's Gate 3 will reach more people than Divinity will have done... it will show a larger segment of the population what our RPGs feel like and hopefully bring them to play our other games also."

So, Larian's "BG3" isn't actually Baldur's Gate 3, and it isn't at-all attempting to be a Baldur's Gate 3. It's a completely separate game with unrelateable gameplay and style, and its purpose is to boost Larian's DOS brand and not to deliver another Baldur's Gate game. Calling it "Baldur's Gate 3" is strictly a cash-grab in the full meaning of the term.

I say this also knowing that a lot of people are fans of DOS2 and don't really know or care about the Baldur's Gate series, and so hearing that Larian's "BG3" is actually just DOS3 done in D&D will make them happy. But I think it's disrespectful to the series and its fans. Larian should be calling the game Baldur's Gate: Descent Into Avernus 2, or something else. Since their only motivation to call it Baldur's Gate 3 is tap the expectations BG fans have while not delivering on any of them, in order to boost their DOS brand, it's a sell-out move.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-02-27-baldurs-gate-3-interview
"The choices that we made are ours. Why did we go for turn-based instead of real-time with pause? Because D&D to us is a turn-based game and we're really good - or we have become really good - with turn-based combat. So that, I think, is one of our strengths, and trying out real-time with pause for now, just because the originals were that? It's a big risk. Because the team would have to think completely differently, our combat would be completely different. And we didn't really feel good about that. Normally we do try out a lot. Normally we try out a lot before we make a decision, but with real-time with pause and turn-based we didn't, we just said "Okay it's just gonna be turn-based.""

"... so, the chance to do that, and to bring what basically is our RPG identity to Baldur's Gate as a franchise was an opportunity too good to resist. And so, what it will do for us... uh, what we think it will do for us is it's going to show a larger segment of people, because I think Baldur's Gate 3 will reach more people than Divinity will have done... it will show a larger segment of the population what our RPGs feel like and hopefully bring them to play our other games also."

About Larian's "BG3" not relating to the stories of BG1 and BG2:

About "BG3" being a sequel to Descent Into Avernus:

Also, the mouse cursors, movement and action animations, and text font is in the gameplay footage are all DOS2's, and the UI is done in the same style as DOS2's though its layout is a bit different. It seems that Larian are trying really hard to make people think "DOS2" when they see their "BG3".

Last edited:
Reactions: Auer
like this
Back