New Caselabs S8 | Horizontal ATX

WorldExclusive

[H]F Junkie
Caselabs S8: Horizontal ATX

Release Date: February 17th, Pre-orders are $40 OFF until Feb. 16th.

Price: $359
Made in the USA

Pre-Order is now live:
http://www.caselabs-store.com/mercury-s8/

Use S8PROMO at checkout to receive the $40 off!!!

Exterior dimensions:18.74"H x 14.54"W x 19.03"D (476mm x 369mm x 483mm)
Native HDD capacity; 4 (+2 on MB tray mount but you loose SSD mounting. 1 HDD uses 2 SSD locations) (22 maximum)
Native SSD capacity; 4 (44 maximum)
Number of Flex-Bays (5.25'' bays); 9
PSU mounts: 1
Expansion slots: 8
Form Factor: mATX, ATX, **E-ATX, SSI-CEB MB tray size; 12.38" x 10.75" (315mm x 273mm)
Maximum radiator size: 120.3 (360)

Note: Exterior dimensions shown are for the case only. Rubber feet add .75’’ (19mm) to height, optional standard casters add 2.6’’ (67mm) and HD Casters add 3’’ (76mm)

** "E-ATX" motherboards such as the; ASUS RAMPAGE IV EXTREME, ASUS MAXIMUS V FORMULA/THUNDERFX and EVGA Z87 Classified will fit in this case. E-ATX motherboards such as the; Supermicro X7DAE will not fit in this case. Please cross reference the motherboard tray size with the motherboard dimensions from the manufacturer. If the dimensions of the motherboard are within the dimensions of the tray, it will fit.

The Flex-Bay System
The Accessory Mounting System
Quick Release Exterior
Removable Motherboard Tray Plate
Mod Friendly
Anti-Vandal Switches with Sleeved Cables
Drop-In Horizontal Radiator Mounting
Drop-In Vertical Radiator Mounting
Integrated Radiator Mounting
All Aluminum Construction

Case Color
Standard
Black or Primer Gray (primer gray is not a cosmetic finish)
Upgrade
White, Dark Gray (+$25.00)
Two Tone (+$35.00)

Form Factor
Standard
ATX
Upgrade
SSI EEB (+$10.00)

Rear Fan Mount
Standard
120mm/140mm Hex Mesh or 120mm Fan Hole
Upgrade
NA

Doors
Standard
Solid or Ventilated
Upgrade
Standard Window (+$10.00)
Standard Window with Ventilation or XL Window (all clear) (+$15.00)

Front Cover
Standard
Ventilated or Solid
Upgrade
Window (clear) (+$10.00)

Top Cover
Standard
Ventilated or Solid
Upgrade
Full Window (clear) (+$10.00)
Ventilated/Window (clear) (+$15.00)
36mm Ventilated (+$20.00)
36mm Ventilated/Window (clear) (+$30.00)

Top Chassis Mount
Standard
120.3 x 2, 140.2/120.2 (universal) x 2 or Drop-in (with no mount)
Upgrade
Drop-in 120.3 x 2, Drop-in 140.2/120.2 (universal) x 2, Drop-in 120.3 with window cut-out or Drop-in 140.2/120.2 (universal) with window cut-out. (+$20.00)

Power and Reset Switch
Standard
Anti-vandal Power and Reset switches with sleeved cables or no switches or cables (subtract $20.00)
Upgrade
NA

I/O Panel
Standard
None
Upgrade
USB 3.0 and HD audio(+$25.00)

Flex-Bay Options
Standard
Solid Covers - 2 triple, 1 double and 2 single bay covers
Upgrade
Ventilated Covers - 2 triple, 1 double and 2 single bay covers (+$10.00)
120.2 mount with 1 double and 2 single solid bay covers (+$20.00)
120.2 mount with 1 double and 2 single ventilated covers (+24.00)
140.2 mount with 2 single solid bay covers (+$22.00)
140.2 mount with 2 single ventilated bay covers ($24.00)
120.3 mount (+$25.00)

MISC Add ons
Test Bench Conversion kit (includes 1 front and 1 rear chassis section and 1 front cover) (+$60.00) ($79.95 separately)
Add a HDD cage (4 drive capacity not a Flex-Bay cage) (+$24.00)

WbshQtz.jpg

oVVjZpK.jpg

LyNTOMB.jpg

BcnOMu2.jpg

rHtg5Yx.jpg

SSI-EEB Motherboard Tray Option

qrmd65vl.jpg

iXkyRLNl.jpg

CjlhMK9l.jpg

8ZmOoC9l.jpg

ZI4wDhQl.jpg

Test Bench Conversion Option

7VtEHPkl.jpg

Last edited:
OP updated with release date, price, specs and options.

Whoever is considering buying any high-end case from any other manufacture in the same price range is wasting their money. Period.

Only 8 slots...ugh...

This is better, Corsair 900D
10 slots... It looks way different but I have almost as much room as you do with that case.

DigitalCavemansNewSystemBuild2014.jpg

I love CaseLabs cases...but they haven't come into their own yet....they could be the greatest case company ever...they just need time to improve.

rofl, it if arrives undamaged.

The only reason the 900D has 10 slots is because it can fit a HPTX motherboard, which is a dead form factor and it barely can hold that.
SSI-EEB only needs 8-slots. That is 900D is a joke compared to this case.

There's no reason to have a 10-slot PC case in 2014.
But if you absolutely need one, they have plenty of cases that has 10 slots and can fit HPTX.

Only 8 slots...ugh...

This is better, Corsair 900D
10 slots... It looks way different but I have almost as much room as you do with that case.

DigitalCavemansNewSystemBuild2014.jpg

I love CaseLabs cases...but they haven't come into their own yet....they could be the greatest case company ever...they just need time to improve.

You're kidding right? You are seriously comparing your made in China plastic and steel garbage with Caselabs? And you think it's better for the two extra PCI slots? lmao you're not even using all 10 in your case. Come back when you can show off a rig that my 60 year old computer-illiterate dad can't build.

I'm beginning to think you're just trolling us all by constantly posting your tinker toy rig in every thread on [H]

You're kidding right? You are seriously comparing your made in China plastic and steel garbage with Caselabs? And you think it's better for the two extra PCI slots? lmao you're not even using all 10 in your case. Come back when you can show off a rig that my 60 year old computer-illiterate dad can't build.

I'm beginning to think you're just trolling us all by constantly posting your tinker toy rig in every thread on [H]

It's plastic and aluminum and its not garbage...and its as big as some CaseLabs cases. I'm not going to dignify the rest with an answer because your probably some teeny-bopper or college dousche-know-it-all that thinks he's got the handle on everything. Probably living with mommy and daddy and just got done cutting all the neighbors lawns so you can buy a Caselabs case....

It's plastic and aluminum and its not garbage...and its as big as some CaseLabs cases. I'm not going to dignify the rest with an answer because your probably some teeny-bopper or college dousche-know-it-all that thinks he's got the handle on everything. Probably living with mommy and daddy and just got done cutting all the neighbors lawns so you can buy a Caselabs case....

Pretty sure it's plastic exterior pieces and thin cold-rolled steel for the body, and then an aluminum sheet on top of that rubber front panel. It pales in comparison to a thicker-gauge all-aluminum Caselabs case.

Have you been on caselabs-store.com before and truly customized a case? Seen one in person? It doesn't sound like it. You can get way above and beyond what a 900D offers, to the fucking moon with it Alice! :)

Edit: Looks like you have, I saw your other thread!

Last edited:
Straight from the horses mouth:

http://www.corsair.com/900d

"Obsidian 900D series is build on a steel and cast aluminum frame, with solid steel panels and a fully painted interior". So I wasn't entirely correct but closer than the first assertion.

Last edited:
Totally love CaseLabs...and really what did it...as philyboy saw my other post on it was the ease of plopping SSD's in there with one power connection and al that room...can move the cages easily and everything fits really well. If it wasn't for the 900D I would have the CaseLabs TX10 man.. that thing is badass...The 900D was just perfect for the smaller office I have...

I actually don't own any CL products. I love them, but they're a little short on style for my tastes. My current cases are a murderMod tj07 and an LD PC-V7. Aluminum>* :D

And no, I'm not in high school or college, but I do wish I could move back in with my parents lmao. Free rent would be epic.

Just FYI, Corsair Obsidian series cases have plastic parts, but very few and those are almost exclusively cosmetic internal parts for hiding cabling and such. The rest is steel or aluminium. CaseLabs may be a bit thicker of steel, but the functional result of that is precisely nothing unless you are planning on using your computer as a chair or something.

The 900D is also about $250 cheaper than the most comparable offering from CaseLabs. The CaseLabs case has better build quality, but from a functional viewpoint it is only about $50 better, and because the build quality of the 900D is so high already the extra $200 of build quality and made-in-USAness of the CaseLabs offering is basically wasted.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to have a CaseLabs case someday. I am just pointing out that the 900D is indeed comparable, and that people that denigrate it while clearly knowing fark-all nothing about it may make themselves look like incredibly biased a-hole idiots. I don't care if you want to point out issues with a case, comparing the value of various bits of PC hardware is a big part of why we all use and enjoy these forums.... But before you do point out issues you might want to make sure those issues actually exist. Throwing out random insults in an uncontrolled fan-boy rage just makes you sound stupid.

lol, blah blah blah.

Let's not make this a thread about the 900D and what's more affordable please.
If you don't see what's special about CL cases, then you're not in CL target market. Move on.

Just FYI, Corsair Obsidian series cases have plastic parts, but very few and those are almost exclusively cosmetic internal parts for hiding cabling and such. The rest is steel or aluminium. CaseLabs may be a bit thicker of steel, but the functional result of that is precisely nothing unless you are planning on using your computer as a chair or something.

The 900D is also about $250 cheaper than the most comparable offering from CaseLabs. The CaseLabs case has better build quality, but from a functional viewpoint it is only about $50 better, and because the build quality of the 900D is so high already the extra $200 of build quality and made-in-USAness of the CaseLabs offering is basically wasted.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to have a CaseLabs case someday. I am just pointing out that the 900D is indeed comparable, and that people that denigrate it while clearly knowing fark-all nothing about it may make themselves look like incredibly biased a-hole idiots. I don't care if you want to point out issues with a case, comparing the value of various bits of PC hardware is a big part of why we all use and enjoy these forums.... But before you do point out issues you might want to make sure those issues actually exist. Throwing out random insults in an uncontrolled fan-boy rage just makes you sound stupid.

The 900D is made primarily of plastic and steel. Aluminum (at least as far as I can tell) is used primarily for cosmetic effect, like on the fascia. Aluminum is vastly better than steel and plastic for multiple reasons: it's significantly lighter, stronger, and easier to mod.

As far as the price differential goes, the 900D is $359, while Caselabs full towers start around $400. They can get much more expensive, but the more expensive models also offer significantly more space and functionality than the 900D. And if you seriously think that Caselabs' cases are only "$50 better" (lol) you are completely missing the point. It's a completely modular chassis with an incredible amount of customization and features the 900D (and any other mass produced case on the market) lacks. There are no rivets in the construction. The doors are hinged and easily removed. The top and front panels are tooless. There is no cheap plastic, steel, or ugly wire mesh anywhere to be found. The motherboard tray slides out simply. You can make any one of their cases perfectly match your hardware through the use of flex bays and multiple fan/rad mounts. They are lighter, better built, and have vastly improved designs over the 900D. The list goes on and on. You really think the 900D can compare with that? Yeah, I'm the biased a-hole all right lol.

Last edited:
Pedestal:

Holds two 360 rads / flex bay / PSU (Centered)
Also has solid front and rear cover option.

4hEBLA3l.jpg

Rad Clearance:

N4poYWll.jpg

S5 and S8 Together for scale:

8IlDcmLl.jpg

Different pedestals.

The options are pouring in on this case. Can't post them all.
Pre-orders with $40 off start soon.

Last edited:
Can't get over how many 360mm rads this monster will fit lol. How many is it total with the pedistal? 5 or so?

Highly considering this one, I have to admit. I have been thinking of moving up to CaseLabs, or MountainMods. Can anyone tell me how long CaseLabs tends to "support" and make compatible accessories for their cases? If I'm spending top-tier CaseLabs money, I want to be able to know that a few years down the road I can buy another accessory, upgrade, side/top plate etc..that will be compatible. It seems like they have great customization though. Love those "drop in" top radiators panels.

Can anyone give a quick comparison between the varying case series they offer? Merlin, Mercury, Magnum etc...

Compared to some of the higher end ($300+) cases from Corsair, LianLi, and Silverstone, it seems like you might get a lot more with a CaseLabs S8...

Highly considering this one, I have to admit. I have been thinking of moving up to CaseLabs, or MountainMods. Can anyone tell me how long CaseLabs tends to "support" and make compatible accessories for their cases? If I'm spending top-tier CaseLabs money, I want to be able to know that a few years down the road I can buy another accessory, upgrade, side/top plate etc..that will be compatible. It seems like they have great customization though. Love those "drop in" top radiators panels.

Can anyone give a quick comparison between the varying case series they offer? Merlin, Mercury, Magnum etc...

Compared to some of the higher end ($300+) cases from Corsair, LianLi, and Silverstone, it seems like you might get a lot more with a CaseLabs S8...

They are first an OEM case maker that has been around since the 70s.
All cases are supported indefintely. No accessory will be discontinued.

Yes, I'm getting drop in mounts also.

Merlin is their single wide case-line that is completely modular and reversible i.e. R-ATX.
Mercury is a more economical version of the Magnum case-line with horizontal mounting i.e. slightly thinner aluminum and detachable mobo tray.
Magnum is their premier case-line with highest quality build i.e. slide out mobo tray, hinged doors etc.

Yes you do get a lot more, and the reason why I post their stuff here.
Once the Corsair name is dropped, it gets a flood of attention vs Caselabs almost gets ignored.
Mostly because of price sensitive consumers. The majority of people just needs a case to hold their stuff.

Then there are those of us that are tired of buying cheaper cases that limits our options...so we buy Caselabs.

You can visit their site and email them. The owner is very quick to respond. - caselabs.net
Here's the S8 thread at OCN: http://www.overclock.net/t/1458099/caselabs-announces-the-mercury-s8/0_40

Last edited:
They are first an OEM case maker that has been around since the 70s.
All cases are supported indefintely. No accessory will be discontinued.

Yes, I'm getting drop in mounts also.

Merlin is their single wide case-line that is completely modular and reversible i.e. R-ATX.
Mercury is a more economical version of the Magnum case-line with horizontal mounting i.e. slightly thinner aluminum and detachable mobo tray.
Magnum is their premier case-line with highest quality build i.e. slide out mobo tray, hinged doors etc.

Yes you do get a lot more, and the reason why I post their stuff here.
Once the Corsair name is dropped, it gets a flood of attention vs Caselabs almost gets ignored.
Mostly because of price sensitive consumers. The majority of people just needs a case to hold their stuff.

Then there are those of us that are tired of buying cheaper cases that limits our options...so we buy Caselabs.

You can visit their site and email them. The owner is very quick to respond. - caselabs.net
Here's the S8 thread at OCN: http://www.overclock.net/t/1458099/caselabs-announces-the-mercury-s8/0_40

Thank you, that's very helpful. I'm pretty sure that CaseLabs will be my next (main) case. I'm really impressed with their S3 (if I was going for a mITX build, that's a killer case for it) and especially S5 (for a mATX / ATX smaller build, I'd love to replace my file/game/VOIP server box that is currently in a P180 mini with a S5, cost permissive), but I'll probably go for a S8...or splurge on a Magnum! If cryptomining pays off, maybe I'll be able to spend some of my first month's profits on a TX10 and just be done with cases for the foreseeable future.

For those who may be wondering just in case, I'm not bashing any of the other manufacturers - I think that Corsair makes some amazing stuff and being able to even come close to the some of the size, usability, features from these boutique cases at a sub $300 price point is amazing. I'm slightly less impressed with LianLi and Silverstone who seem to be getting more expensive for the same level of quality and features they've always had. One reason I switched over to Corsair from LL/Silverstone was that they offered upgrades for the 800D, so you weren't supposed to buy a whole new case just for USB3.0 front panels! (I can't believe that a LL Armorsuit is now $400+, and LL TYR is $500!). It seems CaseLabs ascribes to this same updatability and value, taking it a step further thanks to the wide variety of custom options.

While it does seem that CaseLabs is not for the person who just needs "a case" or even "an enthusiast gaming case", but especially as the rest of the enthusiast mainstream world has gotten more expensive, it seems that CaseLabs can be a better buy and ultimately more accessible than when I first looked toward them and other boutique luxe builders a few years back.

Last edited:
Wow, what do you guys think of Cooler Masters Stacker cases... you can really build a pretty big case, probably CaseLabs sizes...

Any guidance on how this new case (S8) would fare as a fairly classy storage server?

I've been looking for something that's capable of up to about 20 3.5" drives. I've owned and been down the Norco route, but I don't have a good place for a deep rackmount server. Blasphemous as this may sound, something on coasters that I can put a couple of display items on would be quite nice. I've looked at CaseLabs units in the past in this regard but never considered seriously until now.

The biggest impediments (for me) have been,

- difficulty in knowing exactly how much it will cost; it's not always clear how many of the drive cages come with the unit, which ones to purchase, how much they cost, etc.

- concern about the design as a storage server... if the drive cages are pushed to the front of the case, this would make it somewhat front heavy particular for a storage server that isn't going to have a lot of heavy radiators or pumps.

- lack of evidence that people use this as a storage server... they may know something I don't.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

The Magnum M8 might be a good choice... you can fit hard drives on both sides of the case with their flex bay accessories.

Any guidance on how this new case (S8) would fare as a fairly classy storage server?

I've been looking for something that's capable of up to about 20 3.5" drives. I've owned and been down the Norco route, but I don't have a good place for a deep rackmount server. Blasphemous as this may sound, something on coasters that I can put a couple of display items on would be quite nice. I've looked at CaseLabs units in the past in this regard but never considered seriously until now.

The biggest impediments (for me) have been,

- difficulty in knowing exactly how much it will cost; it's not always clear how many of the drive cages come with the unit, which ones to purchase, how much they cost, etc.

- concern about the design as a storage server... if the drive cages are pushed to the front of the case, this would make it somewhat front heavy particular for a storage server that isn't going to have a lot of heavy radiators or pumps.

- lack of evidence that people use this as a storage server... they may know something I don't.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

CL was able to fit 26 HDDs in the S8:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1458099/caselabs-announces-the-mercury-s8/720_40#post_21738690

There server cases are usually the TX10 cases. But the S8 + SSI EEB upgrade should do the job also.
You should email them, tell them your needs and they'll configure a case for you.

CL was able to fit 26 HDDs in the S8:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1458099/caselabs-announces-the-mercury-s8/720_40#post_21738690

There server cases are usually the TX10 cases. But the S8 + SSI EEB upgrade should do the job also.
You should email them, tell them your needs and they'll configure a case for you.

Well, sure, but a monkey can throw 20 drives in a cardboard box.

What I'm trying to understand is,
- what is the weight balance like with that many drives? Is the unit front-heavy with a great deal of empty space in the back where other people might throw coolers but I'll just have empty space? Or, can the drives be spread across the floor and kept low to keep the center of gravity low?
- has anyone actually run one of their cases with a significant number of drives for an extended period of time? What was the experience like?

I come from a world of server storage cases whose cost dwarf CaseLabs and build quality likely meets or exceeds theirs, so I'm not as concerned about whether they are well made cases as I am with their suitably for holding a great deal of storage in a tower form factor.

lol

I think you need to do more research on Caselabs. Hell, probably some of those same cabinets you speak of was made by them.
They've built OEM server grade cabinets for the Government and Tech companies for over 40 years, consumer grade cases for the last five years.

Also, what you're asking for is crystal ball information.
You have to ask the people who made the case.

lol

I think you need to do more research on Caselabs. Hell, probably some of those same cabinets you speak of was made by them.
They've built OEM server grade cabinets for the Government and Tech companies for over 40 years, consumer grade cases for the last five years.

Also, what you're asking for is crystal ball information.
You have to ask the people who made the case.

Uh, no. I want to ask people who have bought the case with their own money, used it and arrived at their own conclusions. That's why I'm asking here and not on the OCN CaseLabs forum where I notice you were quick to post "hey CL someone is asking about you and I noticed it first!!!!!!1"

Also, can you cite references on their 40+ year history building compute cases? I'm actually very interested to know what work they did in the early 70s, since I collect vintage compute systems from that era--I might have some of their work? (I ask quite seriously; I'm curious.)

(Of course, this is aside from the fact that "building a metal box to hold stuff" has been a relatively well established art for 80+ years.)

Last edited:
The Magnum M8 might be a good choice... you can fit hard drives on both sides of the case with their flex bay accessories.

Phillyboy - sorry for not seeing your post; got distracted by the WorldExclusive CaseLabs self-fistbumping.

The M8 seems to allow two vertical stacks side by side at the front... I definitely can see that. What about in back? Can I toss a few around the PSU?

Not long ago I had (I think) an Antec 1200 with something like 13 drives up front and it was front-heavy in a way that made me somewhat uncomfortable. If I'm spending this much money I'd like to be able to place the drives low and wide. I actually was very interested in the Lian Li PC-D8000 when it first came out, but later learned that the default drive bay configuration = two stacks up front. (Also, I saw complaints about build quality.)

Back