New case - Fractal Design R5 VS Define C

Flogger23m

[H]F Junkie
I am thinking of upgrading my case. I am looking for a quieter build that offers decent airflow/cooling. I've narrowed down my options to either the Fractal Design R5 or Define C.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352048

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...1352066&cm_re=Define_C-_-11-352-066-_-Product

I plan on maxing out the front/rear fan slots and in the summer may mount a 120mm on the side. The R5 is more of a traditional layout, while the Define C cuts off CD/DVD bays. I honestly don't recall the last time I used one which is why I am thinking of going this route - there is nothing to block the cool air flow from the intake fans for the GPU and CPU. I can buy a cheap external drive for DVDs when needed.

Though I do have some concerns over the Define C:

1) The HDDs are kept in the bottom with the PSU. Will this result in warmer temps for the HDDs that may reduce life? Or is the lack of direct air flow over them a non-issue? I keep my drives for a while (5 years or so).

2) Overall width is 8.27", or 203mm. Will that be enough space to fit this cooler:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MQCK1P...TF8&colid=3STMQIO4WPV8L&coliid=I3I36ZOT9SFTMW

6.3" or 161mm in height. Will the Define C have enough space when mounted to the motherboard to fit inside?

3) Does the PSU enclosure require longer PSU cables? I know with my current Earthwatts, stretching the cables across the back of my current Corsair 550D is a tight fit.

4) Should this be long enough for future GPUs? Hard to find a picture of this case with a large GPU inside; most of the images I run across are for the smaller Define C Mini variation.

Safe bet is to go with the R5, though it is more pricey and larger.

Any suggestions? Just go with the R5 or cut down on the size?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I recently transferred from an R4 to the C and the components in my signature all fit nicely. I didn't need all the 5.25" bays or extra HDD space since I'm only running two SSDs.

The C can fit the massive Noctua NH-D15 cooler but I did have to give up the second fan for it to fit.

The C also has room for the Gigabyte Aorus 1080 Ti Xtreme Edition which is one the largest coolers on the market.

Since you mentioned you didn't need the CD/DVD bays, your choice should really be between the Define C and Define S. The S is basically the R5 without all the extra stuff and it's much more suited towards watercooling than all the other options.

I recently transferred from an R4 to the C and the components in my signature all fit nicely. I didn't need all the 5.25" bays or extra HDD space since I'm only running two SSDs.

The C can fit the massive Noctua NH-D15 cooler but I did have to give up the second fan for it to fit.

The C also has room for the Gigabyte Aorus 1080 Ti Xtreme Edition which is one the largest coolers on the market.

Since you mentioned you didn't need the CD/DVD bays, your choice should really be between the Define C and Define S. The S is basically the R5 without all the extra stuff and it's much more suited towards watercooling than all the other options.

Is the Define S the R5 minus the optional drive bays? I do use 2-3 HDDs, so having some mounts would be needed. The Define S seems to have none going off of newegg pictures, although I assume I can buy one but I'd imagine I'd be roughly at the same price as the R5 if I did that. I only need the 3x HDD bay though, and not the 3 + 5 the R5 has.

When you mention that you had to remove the second fan for the NH-D15, was that the 140mm? That may be a problem with the Define C as I do want to use a 140mm fan for minimal noise. And would you happen to have any measurements or a picture showing how much space you have left with the GPU installed?

Back