New Case and I'm Looking to Beef Up my Current Rig!

msemcee

Weaksauce
So I just got my office set up. I got a big new desk and Corsair 600T in White and am looking to do a couple upgrades to my current rig. Now I'm not necessarily looking for a complete overhaul, but maybe two or three areas I could beef up. To be honest, I don't need a lot of HDD space - a TB might be just all I need. I was thinking of getting a 850W PSU, new MOBO, and getting another 5850 to Crossfire. Maybe bump up to 6 Gigs?

My main uses are gaming and video editing. I plan on using it heavily to play BF3 later this year, along with SW: The Republic and others.

As it sits:

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive
CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 620 Propus 2.6GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor
RAM: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel
MOBO: ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO AM3 AMD 785G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible
GPU: Sapphire Raedon 5850 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E Dual DVI
SOUND: Audigy ZS/Seinnheiser RS 170 Wireless Closed Ears
COOLING: Zalman CNPS9500

I also plan on picking up a new keyboard and mouse along the way, too.

Thanks for the help everyone!

I would not recommend another HD 5850 for Crossfire action for the following reasons:
1) The HD 58xx Crossfire scaling as well as driver suppor was a poor even when they were the premier AMD cards of the time. So imagine now that they're not the top cards any more..

2) The price of used HD 58xx series cards is a little high as the result of the whole bit-coining phenomenon.

3) Your CPU will be a bottleneck for HD 5850 Crossfire when it works well.

With that said, if you really really want to get HD 5850 Crosfire desptite the above reasons, try to find a used one for $170 shipped.

Considering the price of RAM these days and the fact that RAM prices will be increasing at some point in the near future, don't bump up to 6GB of RAM. Just get a 2 x 4GB set for a total of 12GB of RAM and you'll be set for a long time:
$50 - G.Skill Value Series F3-10600CL9D-8GBNT 2 x 4GB DDR3 1333 RAM

I would hold off on a new mobo unless there's a feature that you need in a mobo that your current mobo does not have.

I would not recommend another HD 5850 for Crossfire action for the following reasons:
1) The HD 58xx Crossfire scaling as well as driver suppor was a poor even when they were the premier AMD cards of the time. So imagine now that they're not the top cards any more..

2) The price of used HD 58xx series cards is a little high as the result of the whole bit-coining phenomenon.

3) Your CPU will be a bottleneck for HD 5850 Crossfire when it works well.

With that said, if you really really want to get HD 5850 Crosfire desptite the above reasons, try to find a used one for $170 shipped.

Considering the price of RAM these days and the fact that RAM prices will be increasing at some point in the near future, don't bump up to 6GB of RAM. Just get a 2 x 4GB set for a total of 12GB of RAM and you'll be set for a long time:
$50 - G.Skill Value Series F3-10600CL9D-8GBNT 2 x 4GB DDR3 1333 RAM

I would hold off on a new mobo unless there's a feature that you need in a mobo that your current mobo does not have.

Good advice, Thank You. I'm thinking I'll have to put the build off for a few months, but now I'm wanting more and more to do an entire overhaul. I'll look into the 2x4GB set first of all. Got any suggestions on a nice dual-GPU setup?

GTX 560 or GTX 570 SLI if you're getting a new motherboard.
HD 6850 2GB Crossfire if you're sticking with your current motherboard.

Back