New Carmack Interview on Oculus Rift

Read this yesterday. Pretty interesting the ZeniMax overlords turned him down in creating a VR angle for DOOM4+.

He's better off at Oculus than id anyways. Nothing but the utmost respect for Carmack.

I think Carmack can do more good for PC gaming at Oculus Rift than with id under Zenimax. I still don't know why he sold the company. I get that he didn't enjoy leading the business side and preferred to code but I would like to think there were better options.

carmack, carmack, wheres fucking doom bro, c'mon.

stop messing around. :mad:

this move just shows carmack has still got that bit of rock-star in him. I can understand why ZiniMax tried to contain him, but you just can't do that without some consequences. I'm proud of him, and ya know maybe it's a win-win, not to say Carmack was dragging id down by any means, but I bet folks at id had a shit-storm/wake-up call, and maybe they will change for the better because of it. There's no doubt Oculus is better off, and Carmack seems to be as well...

I still don't know why he sold the company.
Maybe their "done when it's done" motto wasn't working too well these days? I seem to recall an interview with them saying the added pressure/deadlines would be a good thing for them, and they believed ZiniMax wouldn't try to boss them around too much. But yea, I'm interested to knowing more of what really happened too..

Back