New cards in July

There are plenty of games on "absolute max settings" that will drop a 1080 ti below 70 fps at 3440x1440. You either do not have many demanding games or you throw around the term "absolute max settings" without really thinking much of it.

I am not truly sure. Can you list those titles? I must not have em. But with gsync almost every title I had when I played with the 1080ti it was cherry. Yea may be a few games. But at 3440x1440 it was damn good. It did have hard time at 4k but then I switched to gsync 1440p wideacreen. I did sell my 1080ti in anticipation of new cards. Until then playing my parents pro lol .

I am not truly sure. Can you list those titles? I must not have em. But with gsync almost every title I had when I played with the 1080ti it was cherry. Yea may be a few games. But at 3440x1440 it was damn good. It did have hard time at 4k but then I switched to gsync 1440p wideacreen. I did sell my 1080ti in anticipation of new cards. Until then playing my parents pro lol .
The key here is "absolute max settings" like he mentioned. That would mean things like SSAA or MSAA if a game has it. Do you really want me to list all of those? I will give you a few examples such as Rise of the Tomb Raider, Deus Ex Mankind Divided and Watch Dogs 2. And even in games without those AA options we have several that cant keep 70 fps with all settings maxed at 3440x1440 such as Mafia 3, Quantum Break (upscaling off) and Ghost Recon Wildlands.

The key here is "absolute max settings" like he mentioned. That would mean things like SSAA or MSAA if a game has it. Do you really want me to list all of those? I will give you a few examples such as Rise of the Tomb Raider, Deus Ex Mankind Divided and Watch Dogs 2. And even in games without those AA options we have several that cant keep 70 fps with all settings maxed at 3440x1440 such as Mafia 3, Quantum Break (upscaling off) and Ghost Recon Wildlands.

I select ultra settings for games. I am pretty sure dues ex was definitely above 70 on widescreen with my 1080ti running around 2ghz and memory at +400. My old 4k monitor it struggled but it pretty much chewed through everything on ultra settings at 1440p though. I don't really mess with AA whatever is on the top in game settings I roll with that.

I select ultra settings for games. I am pretty sure dues ex was definitely above 70 on widescreen with my 1080ti running around 2ghz and memory at +400. My old 4k monitor it struggled but it pretty much chewed through everything on ultra settings at 1440p though. I don't really mess with AA whatever is on the top in game settings I roll with that.
Lol you are not even remotely close to averaging 70 fps never mind staying above it in Deus Ex Mankind Divided on max setting with max MSAA on. Even with no MSAA you would not be keeping 70 fps the whole time at 3440x1440. Do I need to fire up the game and take screenshots or make a video? I know what I am talking about in every game I mentioned.

But here you can see even at the lower 2560x1440, the MSI Gaming 1080- ti is averaging just 77 fps even with NO MSAA at all. https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_1080_Ti_Gaming_X/11.html

EDIT: I just fired up the game and tested it in the benchmark at 2880x1620 which is slightly less pixels than 3440x1440. My 1080 ti is at 1924 mhz.

2880x1620 max settings but no msaa was 58 fps

2880x1620 max settings with msaa x8 was 15 fps

Now the actual game is not as demanding so you could probably get over 70 most of the time without MSAA on. Remember though his claim was "absolute max settings". On those settings that would mean using 8x MSAA and you would be in the 20s and even teens at times at 3440x1440.

Last edited:
Lol you are not even remotely close to averaging 70 fps never mind staying above it in Deus Ex Mankind Divided on max setting with max MSAA on. Even with no MSAA you would not be keeping 70 fps the whole time at 3440x1440. Do I need to fire up the game and take screenshots or make a video? I know what I am talking about in every game I mentioned.

But here you can see even at the lower 2560x1440, the MSI Gaming 1080- ti is averaging just 77 fps even with NO MSAA at all. https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_1080_Ti_Gaming_X/11.html

Hey bro. Like I said I have gsync. Have we discussed this before? I don't have the card anymore. I beched it and I have gsync monitor which is smooth as hell. What are we debating here that we need to cards to play games at widescreen resolution? To that I say no. Look at my post again I never said I was 100% sure. May be it was the gsync effect. But it was definitely around there. I mean 2560x1440 to 3440x1440 shouldn't result in more significant fps drop as it's not full 4k. And I never said I had msaa on. I said whatever the ultra settings apply. Was that card running at 2ghz and +400 on memory.? I never said max aa. That is something you are saying for me. Please read my post again.

Hey bro. Like I said I have gsync. Have we discussed this before? I don't have the card anymore. I beched it and I have gsync monitor which is smooth as hell. What are we debating here that we need to cards to play games at widescreen resolution? To that I say no. Look at my post again I never said I was 100% sure. May be it was the gsync effect. But it was definitely around there. I mean 2560x1440 to 3440x1440 shouldn't result in more significant fps drop as it's not full 4k. And I never said I had msaa on. I said whatever the ultra settings apply. Was that card running at 2ghz and +400 on memory.? I never said max aa. That is something you are saying for me. Please read my post again.
You directly quoted me when I said there were plenty of games that a 1080 ti would drop below 70 fps at 3440x1440 on "absolute max settings" and you asked me to list those games so I gave you examples. My comment had NOTHING to do with gsync or anything else. I was simply listing those games and nothing more.

Last edited:
We are talking past each other.

I tinker with every setting that isn’t obviously already set to max or ultra except AA. But for the most part just clicking the overall game setting to max gets you there. I just let AA be whatever the game sets it to when you select the generic Ultra or Max setting.

The point I really am trying to make is that gsync makes everything smooth and until recently (with early access Hunt Showdown, I’ve never seen my FPS dip below 70FPS on any title.). So G-sync soothes that upgrade itch.

Do I sit there and try to break 70FPS and watch eagle eyed to see if I ever saw 69.4? No, I enjoy the game because it all feels incredibly smooth to me with G-sync. I don’t feel the need to be constantly focused on my FPS counter anymore.

I’ve said in another thread, G-sync made individual settings sliders no longer relevant, you don’t need to figure out what settings need to be slightly lowered to make sure that minimum FPS of your monitor is maintained. Now you can just set everything to max and enjoy the game in full through all the frame rate variation - so long as your in the right ballpark of matching GPU to resolution.

I keep hearing about all these extra Pascal cards "sitting around" and the prices have come down but not enough to make me think there is a huge glut of cards.

I keep hearing about all these extra Pascal cards "sitting around" and the prices have come down but not enough to make me think there is a huge glut of cards.

you probably just havent been paying attention than, cards have been going on sale pretty regularly. EVGA 1080ti for 600$ is quite a bit lower than a few months ago. 1070tis regularly under 400 and even some 1080s at 400

We are talking past each other.

I tinker with every setting that isn’t obviously already set to max or ultra except AA. But for the most part just clicking the overall game setting to max gets you there. I just let AA be whatever the game sets it to when you select the generic Ultra or Max setting.

The point I really am trying to make is that gsync makes everything smooth and until recently (with early access Hunt Showdown, I’ve never seen my FPS dip below 70FPS on any title.). So G-sync soothes that upgrade itch.

Do I sit there and try to break 70FPS and watch eagle eyed to see if I ever saw 69.4? No, I enjoy the game because it all feels incredibly smooth to me with G-sync. I don’t feel the need to be constantly focused on my FPS counter anymore.

I’ve said in another thread, G-sync made individual settings sliders no longer relevant, you don’t need to figure out what settings need to be slightly lowered to make sure that minimum FPS of your monitor is maintained. Now you can just set everything to max and enjoy the game in full through all the frame rate variation - so long as your in the right ballpark of matching GPU to resolution.

I still read every day people talking about waiting until HDR to buy a new monitor (they have like 6-10 year old ones) and they just have no idea what they're missing imo. Refresh rates above 100hz and gsync are just amazing for the reasons you stated in your post. I only tune settings in a few competitive FPS games, everything else I just use a pre-defined setting and let gsync do the work.

I still read every day people talking about waiting until HDR to buy a new monitor (they have like 6-10 year old ones) and they just have no idea what they're missing imo. Refresh rates above 100hz and gsync are just amazing for the reasons you stated in your post. I only tune settings in a few competitive FPS games, everything else I just use a pre-defined setting and let gsync do the work.

I agree .And then gsync hdr models will be expensive as hell and they will wait again. We are already are seeing how some new gsync hdr monitors require to be thick because they need to be cooled down. I honestly don't think tech is going to be perfected until few more years. I would hate to be the early adopter for these monitors on top of paying outrageous money. Love my acer predator 35 inch gsync OC'ed to 120hz at 3440x1440p.

you probably just havent been paying attention than, cards have been going on sale pretty regularly. EVGA 1080ti for 600$ is quite a bit lower than a few months ago. 1070tis regularly under 400 and even some 1080s at 400

Are you talking about used cards? U check 1080 and Ti prices almost daily and the cheapest Ti I've seen new is the FE card for $700. I haven't seen a 1080 under $500 yet anywhere.

Are you talking about used cards? U check 1080 and Ti prices almost daily and the cheapest Ti I've seen new is the FE card for $700. I haven't seen a 1080 under $500 yet anywhere.

There's literally a Gigabyte 1080 for $449 after rebate on Newegg right now.

There's literally a Gigabyte 1080 for $449 after rebate on Newegg right now.

I don't count rebates that take 4 months to get and you have to jump thru a hundred hoops for. And that link only shows a $10 rebate which would be $490 not $450 and certainly not $400.

I generally don't shop the obscure sellers online so maybe there are some cheaper prices out there but as for the major retailers, you're looking at $500 for a 1080 and $720 for a Ti.

I don't count rebates that take 4 months to get and you have to jump thru a hundred hoops for. And that link only shows a $10 rebate which would be $490 not $450 and certainly not $400.

I generally don't shop the obscure sellers online so maybe there are some cheaper prices out there but as for the major retailers, you're looking at $500 for a 1080 and $720 for a Ti.

Guess the other $40 coupon code expired, but it was there yesterday. Wasn't a rebate IIRC, was a discount code.

That's why I'm glad I stuck to Titan cards. Yes, they have a premium, but they always stayed consistently overpriced so I never felt like I was getting doubly ripped off.

Back