New card for old system, LIMITED BUDGET

RUMBUGGER

n00b
Hi guys, got an old Northwood P4 1.6 running around the 2Ghz mark in a Asus P4B266 mobo...(Yeah i know its past its sell by date :( ) i had a Ge-force Ti 4400 graphics card that died on me.

What is a cheap replacement that will match or outperform it? budget limited to £100(Approx $200???)

And i've only got a 340 watt PSU.

I know i need a modern system, just can't afford one.....yet.

Help please! ;)

You can get a 9800Pro for under $100US, or even an FX5900 for $60-$75. A $200 AGP card may not give you the best price/performance ratio due to the bottleneck your system man incurr on performance. Hopefully your PSU can handle the load of those cards.

Maybe you could save the rest for some newer stuff. I just built my little sis a budget PC for college consisting of an A643000+, mobo, RAM, DVD burner, case, and PSU for $250. Granted it has integrated video, it's still a pretty good deal and a nice platform to build a modern PC on, methinks.

ptech said:
You can get a 9800Pro for under $100US, or even an FX5900 for $60-$75. A $200 AGP card may not give you the best price/performance ratio due to the bottleneck your system man incurr on performance. Hopefully your PSU can handle the load of those cards.

Maybe you could save the rest for some newer stuff. I just built my little sis a budget PC for college consisting of an A643000+, mobo, RAM, DVD burner, case, and PSU for $250. Granted it has integrated video, it's still a pretty good deal and a nice platform to build a modern PC on, methinks.

Agree on the 9800pro.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102362R

$72 shipped on Newegg

Save the rest for your next PC build.

Back