New Camera for Travel

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Hey guys, taking a trip next week and need to grab a new camera for the journey. Want a compact shooter, something I can stick in my pocket. Been a Sony guy for a while, but went Olympus last time. That cam did not hold up. Any suggestions?

Budget?

Personally, I like Canon and Panasonic for P&S cameras. Stay away from Nikon, though.

My sister owns a Canon PowerShot SD1300 IS which performs surprisingly well. (I can dig up some examples, and upload them later on for you to see)

For a little more money, I can recommend the PowerShot S95. A bit more pricey for this type of camera, but it's probably the best in its class right now.

Neither of these cameras offer much of a zoom range, but both of them more than make up for it in terms of overall picture quality.

------------------

edit.

Here are a couple example shots from the SD1300IS.

Don't mind the haze, it was taken through the window
1300is1.jpg

The only low light photo I have:
1300is2.jpg

1300is3.jpg

Last edited:
Canon S95 is pretty good. It's on the higher end spectrum of compacts which is reflected in its price. The new Sony H series looks pretty good as well. The Canon G11 is a bit bulkier but better image quality.

I've been using my Nokia N8 for a point and shoot lately, the image quality is actually better than my Sony H5V. If you have a cameraphone you might just want to stick with that.

DISCLAIMER: I have not used the S95 or any Leica, I have used my friends G11 and it is stellar, a little on the large side unless you have baggy pants! I am also a camera neophyte.

Canon S95 (good)

Canon G11 or G12 - depends on if you want articulating screen (gooder)

Leica D-Lux or M9? (gooderer)

Before I picked up my DSLR, I used a Canon SD600 and it was great for its time. It fit in my pocket, and still works 4-5 years later.

A Leica M9 is a 7 grand camera. It's a whole different league.

Well yeah a Leica M9 is a rangefinder... not really a P&S....that is why it's in a whole different league :).

I want to play around with that new fuji x100 though.... It is sortof comparable to the M9.... like I said sortof :)

Canons have a wide range of P&S's with wide angle lenses built in which can be great for your journey. The higher end models would be of course the G10, G11 or G12 with full features but somewhat bulky. Like the others have said before, the S95 is a sweet camera with full on features, works well in low light (my gf owns this camera) and it's not nearly as bulky as the rest.

PS.
and if it's not a DSLR, Nikon is the wrong direction to go.

Hey bro, I was a Sony guy also for a long time. Then I bought a Canon. Lets just say from now on I will always buy Canon. Everything about it has been better. If not that then my other choice would be Nikon.

Any of the PowerShots would suite what you are looking for awesome. Get one with 720p video. You'll use it even if you think you may not.
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/digital_cameras

If an M9 is "settling", then you obviously have BIG pockets.

Big enough to fit a Hasselblad into for instance. :D

Sorry, I'm not up on my Hasselblad specifications.

I take all my vacation photos with daguerrotypes. That way people can't steal my photos on Flickr. ;)

Daguerreotype is too mainstream for me. It uses a lens. Obscura is where it's at :p

Besides... who wouldn't enjoy F231? (it's called F231 because of its f-stop. f/231)

Back