New Call of Duty: Black Ops Patch Helping?

HardOCP News

[H] News
Steam has released another CoD: Black Ops patch today that supposedly improves CPU performance, matchmaking and a few other things. We posted this today in our Gaming Headlines but, since this is a hot topic with your guys, I wanted to post this so you guys could discuss the new patch.

Updates to Call of Duty: Black Ops have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The major changes include: Call of Duty: Black Ops. CPU performance improvements. Zombie matchmaking improvements. Fix for locked ADS after pressing shift-TAB to bring up Steam overlay. Fix for ADS while holding shift as a sniper.

Don't see much difference, still a very lagy game, apparently a gtx295 isn't enough for a game that looks worse than mw2...whereas mw2 was pegged at 90fps in mp 99% of the time.

no issues with the game since the first set of patches were released. before it was first patched, ya it was choppy as hell. runs smooth at 1080 res /w AA 16X and Textures set to Extra

Intel Core I7 860
Corsair H50
MSI P55-GD65
Sapphire Toxic 1GB 5850
Corsair Dominator 8GB DDR3 1600 C8

It doesn't seem like they spent nearly enough time optimizing it for the PC. After CoD:MW2 it's obvious the focus isn't on us PC gamers as much which lead me to boycott this release (which I'm glad I did after reading about the issues with the PC release). I think we need to send a message to Activision that PC gamers made the CoD series what it is and they need to support us better.

For me, the game's pretty smooth from the start (although I didn't play multiplayer until 3 or 4 days after release).

Having a Quad Phenom II at 3.9ghz seems to help. In game, all four cores seem to get evenly loaded at anywhere from 40-60%. I can imagine anyone with a dual core would be lagging. (5830 running at 1080p, everything on high)

When you see reports of 2.9 million people playing simultaneously on Xbox live, and I log into PC multiplayer and see 29000 people logged in and playing, I can definitely understand why they care less about PC folk. There's no volume there any more.

Now only if they could add native eyefinity support.

and that is why I sold my eyefinity setup.... because the gaming industry just doesn't give two poops about it and you can be banned (so I hear, never happened to me) for using a patch/fix to use eyefinity in either MW2 or Black Ops.

Not worth it... sold my eyefinity... I am much happier with my 30".

PS: SO SO SO glad I didn't buy this game. it might be worth it when Steam sells it for $9.99

The patch made mine run slower, though there is less suttering it is still unplayable. See the chart, compare blue to brown.
bonov19patch.jpg

The issue is not only lagging and stuttering (which seem to be caused by either the sound system or network congestion (which they supposedly fixed earlier)), but also crashing to desktop and black screen freezing of the game. More people are having the stuttering issue. But if you read the steam forums, there are hundreds of people with freezing on a black screen (including me) only in multiplayer. This is yet to be addressed and/or fixed and makes the game completely unplayable as the freezing occurs every X minutes where 0<X<60. (Few make it an hour before the next freeze.)

Plus, this patch was released THREE DAYS AGO and is the *CAUSE* of the crash to desktop/freezing glitches. I didn't realize you were 3 days behind in your news.

Try syncing the frames, that made some difference for me. It made the game feel a little strange but it stopped most of the spiking. In the config files I set these 2 variables as follows, perhaps you can different settings and see if they get you anywhere.

(Steam\steamapps\common\call of duty black ops\players)

seta r_multiGpu "0"
seta r_multithreaded_device "0"

Try different settings cause even though I have a dual core and dual GPUs this produced the best result for me.

the fact that this made the front page is a testament to how piss poor Black Ops was, it was rushed, released riddled with bugs, and from what people are saying will require more than just this patch to fix it's gameplay.

This is what happens when people buy anything Activision releases Day One.

It doesn't seem like they spent nearly enough time optimizing it for the PC. After CoD:MW2 it's obvious the focus isn't on us PC gamers as much which lead me to boycott this release (which I'm glad I did after reading about the issues with the PC release). I think we need to send a message to Activision that PC gamers made the CoD series what it is and they need to support us better.

Word, I didnt even buy MW2, my boycot is holding strong, now who will join me, ha

Now only if they could add native eyefinity support.

All you need to do is go to widescreen fixer and load up the newest version.
It works like a charm.

Too bad the game developers didn't implement it, but this dopefish guy is a genius.:D

black ops:

I have nothing against the developers as treyarch has usually done a pretty good job. I lay the blame for this squarely at the feet of Activision. Its not just the rushed feel of the game, but the fact that there is nothing innovative here save for a couple of the narrative aspects of the storytelling that ruins it for me. I bet everyone on this site remembers when the first CoD came out. I can admit that the first time I saw all the Russian conscripts run into certain death, that I actually teared up for a minute. CoD as a series is just Madden for the FPS crowd now. Its pretty discouraging when I can't even be bothered to pirate a game for lack of interest. Heck I'm still playing TF2 and L4D2 on a daily basis. As for this patch, well lets hope the team that abandoned Infinity Ward has some up their sleeves to rekindle the passion of my fellow PC gamers. And guys lets make sure that if they do, we support them 120%. We can bring developers back to PC if we show them how willing we are to support them.

</rant>

Won't help the half-ass looking gameplay I've seen..... this game is getting way too much spam time on TV and commercials (everywhere it seems)

It's like the Apple of video games.... spam spam spam, get a lot of kids to buy your half-ass made stuff that isn't even ready for market

I skipped MW2 but this one is pretty fun. The return of dedicated servers went a long way to convince me, as did getting rid of some of the cheaper killstreaks. Already have like 40 hours into it, which is more than most games get from me these days.

When you see reports of 2.9 million people playing simultaneously on Xbox live, and I log into PC multiplayer and see 29000 people logged in and playing, I can definitely understand why they care less about PC folk. There's no volume there any more.

and it's not like PC games where if there's a bug they have no choice to patch it or else all hell breaks loose. whereas with consoles it's "you get what you get and you don't have a fit"

heh.

ALL HAIL FASCISM/stevejobs/etc.

I'm still waiting for the patch that makes this game cost 30 dollars, and mw2 $15. I don't think it'll be released until a year or two, though ;)

Skipped the other two and will most likely skip this money maker, for investors made by investors Call of Duty Black Opps, lol..

As with most games except New Vegas, not a single problem besides the one that hit us all, that was solved by demo_enabled 0. My piece of shiz computer does a great job playing it.

Intel PCIe NIC and M-Audio Delta 2496 soundcard, AMD processor and AMD graphics. It's like it's a unique combination making a recipe for success. Even APB worked flawlessly.

For me, the game's pretty smooth from the start (although I didn't play multiplayer until 3 or 4 days after release).

Having a Quad Phenom II at 3.9ghz seems to help. In game, all four cores seem to get evenly loaded at anywhere from 40-60%. I can imagine anyone with a dual core would be lagging. (5830 running at 1080p, everything on high)

Glad to see it run good for you.... but also remember the 29,000 you saw is only people who bought the new CoD through Steam. There are thousands of others who did not buy the new Blackops game (PC) via steam. D2D had a much better deal @ preorder for the PC version, so I know they sold a few thousand outside of steam.... also amazon and newegg had deals too.

I really want to like this game. But it's laggy as hell for me. And maybe it's my set up. So I've went back to COD4 for now. I think a lot of people have done the same. I'm seeing a lot of players online.

actually scratch my previous post. The combination of the patch and setting texture quality from auto actually works pretty well. Not perfect but at least playable now.

This news post isn't correct. The patch came out 11/19 not today. So no, there is no 'new' patch.

For what it's worth I noticed a significant improvement in the performance for me. The common stuttering problem has pretty much vanished. It very rarely pops up and when it does it's barely noticeable. Sorry to hear lots of people are still having problems. :(

D2D had a much better deal @ preorder for the PC version, so I know they sold a few thousand outside of steam.... also amazon and newegg had deals too.

any version of acquisition gets you an activation on steam. i got mine from d2d because of that deal

I have nothing against the developers as treyarch has usually done a pretty good job. I lay the blame for this squarely at the feet of Activision. CoD as a series is just Madden for the FPS crowd now.

We can bring developers back to PC if we show them how willing we are to support them.

i agree entirely, this is exactly right. treyarch did work hard but were very rushed because kotick is a huge asshole who would sacrifice quality for profits any day of the week, even on sunday (that son of a bitch!)

dev is trying to patch the hell out of this game feverishly as they werent allowed enough beta testing, and ten million entitlement-complex gamers are screaming for their heads in a misguided fit of collective nerd rage. pisses me off, as i am now worried that treyarch will be discouraged by this nonsense and become less loyal to pc gamers. one less dev on our side is a bad thing...

meanwhile the patch yesterday made my game START (not stop) stuttering like hell somehow, whereas before it was fine and would only hitch at map load. i waited a few hours (for servers to update to new patch) then defragged, re-tweaked my cfg and restarted steam...the result: no more stutter and my max fps went up by 10. avg fps went up just a little. treyarch is not perfect, but considering the context of the situation they are doing great, and im going to pay more attention to them from now on regardless of how this pans out

I'm not an online gamer because I just don't have time, so I like playing locally with friends when I do have time, maybe once a month or maybe twice. For that reason my friends and I prefer MWII over black ops. We also think the graphics are better on MWII

Bad developers kill PC version of their game.

I think this is the real problem. COD4 had no problems at all selling on the PC. The real problem is that IW went backwards from the gameplay standpoint, and now Treyarch have followed right along. Limiting game size, destroying the modding community they stole all their idea from.

If they were just going to screw over the PC gamers like they have, they might as well have just gone ahead and made Call of Duty a console only game. It's not like they changed much of anything on the engine, they just dumbed the games down and drew some prettier textures, it's no real surprise PC gamers aren't flocking to buy a crippled version of COD4.

This is what is causing me to think there is something wrong with my Video Card / Power Supply. Previously before any of the recent patches I was able to get 55-60 FPS with AA/AF on and miminal shuttering. Now its in the 30-45 FPS constantly, even with AA/AF off! Micro shuttering before and after shots, FPS dropping to 20 during heavy firefights and it's not like my machine is a light weight (well, compared to some ppl are around here it is).

So yah... bad developers are bad ;(

Coming from PS3:MW2 this game was horrible (PS3). Played for 30 minutes and sold on Craigslist for a loss of $20 + tax.

The previous patch brought me back to the stuttering mess that we know and love, but the latest patch has made the game playable with an occasional (not really disruptive) sound stutter. [email protected], 5870.

Just disable shadows and runs great. If you have messed with your .cfg files, its best to delete them and restart the game.

Still have stutter here. I deleted my config file, disabled shadows and disabled SLI and it seemed to help a bit but it still stutters. I just gave up- I've been playing Black Ops on my Xbox 360 and having a good time. Unless some real compelling gaming title comes out in the near future the PC I fear I may be slowly going away from PC gaming. I got Black OPs to play with the few friends I have left that still only game on the PC and none of us can get the game to run correctly.

Back