Afternoon all,

I'm building a new rig for graduation, which consists so far of:

Asus P5B Deluxe/WiFi
C2D Conroe E6600
2x1GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2 8500
BFG 8800GTX OC2
250 GB Seagate Barracuda SATA
16x DVD burner

I need a good PSU for this rig, and I'm considering putting it in a Lian-Li PC-A05B case, in which the PSU mounts in the lower front of the case, and air is taken in through the back and exhausted through the front. As there is not a ton of room in this case (it's a mid-tower, dorm sized :D ) and I want to maximize airflow, I'd like a modular PSU. I've been looking at the Hiper 730W, but I'm not 100% sure it will work, since the cables plug into the bottom of the unit.

That said, are "modular" and "quality" mutually exclusive? I want a modular PSU because I think they look better and provide a much better wire management solution, but I recognize that quality always comes first in PSUs. I'm not looking to spend much over $150. Any suggestions (modular or non-modular) would be much appreciated!

I've used both the Liberty and Galaxy Enermax units with nothing but positive results.

if it has to be modular, i'd recomend the enermax liberty series, but you dont need more than 500w for the rig

I've been reading technically sound reviews on power supplies all afternoon for my upcoming build. I'm going to have to also vote for the Corsair recommended above.

Edit: In either the 520W or the 620W versions. Either one is fine.

- JT

Wow, thanks for the great input guys. I did a bit more searching and figured that I didn't need that much power for the rig, but I do want a little overhead for overclocking and in case I ever decide to go SLI. At that point, I may just buy a stronger PSU, but I think common sense dictates that I'd rather spend a small premium now to have more power than I need rather than risk going smaller and having problems when I overclock.

Again, thank you all!

EDIT: Forgot to include the most important part: The decision! I'm going to go with the Corsair HX620, because, as I stated, I wanted a modular PSU and would like a bit of overhead. Plus, it looks pretty slick. I like that it's something other than basic sheet metal shell.

I will recommend the Corsair HX520 or 620. Just finished my build with the 520 and it seems pretty solid. Very quiet and the modular cables are nice pros to this PS. I run an E6420 and an 8800GTS 320MB.

Well, I like the easily apparent quality of the Corsair units, but I must say the 580W Hiper modular supply in blue is VERY attractive. JonnyGuru gave it a 7.5, which is not bad, per se, but it's not as good as the Corsair. As much as I like the aesthetics of the Hiper, I'm not willing to compromise with the low 12V output, the strange pin-out combinations on the modular connectors, or the lack of power regulation/correction.

I mean, that thing is just drop-dead gorgeous, but I can't justify compromising an ~$2000 system because the PSU is a shiny blue color... :(

My Corsair HX620 doesn't make a sound. I have to look at the fan to see if it's on. It also handles my setup without problems. It also came with alot of cables and a pouch to hold them in.

Back