New Build Won't Boot :(

ThR!LL

Limp Gawd
I have a brand new build I just unboxed and assembled it. When I flipped the switch it powers on for a second then stops. My build is a Corsair GS800, intel 3570k, Gigabyte Z77x-UD5H, Evga 660Ti, 128GB Crucial SSD, 1TB WD Black, 16GB G. SKill ripjaw, and as of right now no optical drive.

I took everything out and placed my mobo on it's box with nothing but the PSU connected. Same 1 sec boot loop. I added the CPU. Same 1 sec boot loop. Added 1 ram. Same 1 Sec boot loop. Took that one out and tried the other. Same. Put both in. Same.

So I decided to just do the paper clip test. The fan runs for about 1 sec but the LED stays on. I tried hooking the 3 case fans in my HAF mid tower and with the paperclip test they run fine but the PSU fan stops despite the LED staying on. Then I added the WD HD and I can hear it spinning just fine along with the fans running fine, but still the PSU fan doesn't run.

Then I finally take the paperclip out, plug in the 24 and the 8 pin connectors into my mobo(with it still being on the mobo box) and hit the red power button that's on the mobo. Once I hit it the same boot loop appears but unlike the paperclip test the LED doesn't stay on.

Any suggestions??? I know I'm gonna have to RMA something I just don't know what :((((

Last edited:
Try to boot using a different PSU?

Or try to boot using the same PSU but on a different wall outlet. I have seen this happen when the grounding is not proper. This also happens when the some part of the mobo is in (electrical) contact with the Cabinet. But since you have already removed the mobo, I guess this does not apply to you.

Yeah I've tried plugging it in into 3 different outlets :( Oh and I don't have PSU on me to test with. Any other thing I can do?

Looks like you tried everything beside a second power supply. Hope its not the board. Try the motherboard and psu outside the case and see if it will boot normally. Could be a grounding issue.

Unless I'm reading it wrong your PSU failed the paper clip test. Why would it be anything else?

Try the motherboard and psu outside the case and see if it will boot normally. Could be a grounding issue.

I took everything out and placed my mobo on it's box with nothing but the PSU connected... Then I finally take the paperclip out, plug in the 24 and the 8 pin connectors into my mobo(with it still being on the mobo box) and hit the red power button that's on the mobo.

Yeah I tried that. Any way to test the mobo?

Unless I'm reading it wrong your PSU failed the paper clip test. Why would it be anything else?

I was just wondering if that was a failure of the paperclip test. Like I said the fan was on for about a sec then stops but the LED stays on. Though as I hooked up 3 fans and a hard drive while performing the paperclip test the 3 fans continuously spun, the hard drive spun, the LED stayed on, but the PSU fan stopped after about a sec. Though when I connected everything to my mobo both the fan the LED stay on for just a sec.

Judging by this can we conclude it's just a bad PSU and my CPU and mobo are still ok? Because that would be the best news I could get lol

The PSU fan not running isn't necessarily a sign of issue as some PSU fans don't start until the PSU is hot enough to warrant the fan turning on.

The only way to 100% conclude that its a PSU issue is to try another PSU. Otherwise, it's just a educated guess at this point in time.

As an aside, the GS800 really was a poor buy anyway considering that A) you don't need that much power, B) You could get significantly higher quality PSUs that cost the same as the GS800, and C) that PSU still wouldn't have been suitable for a setup that actually needs that much power due to its quality.

Plug a fan onto the PSU and see if it starts when doing the paperclip test.

it might be shorting problem.
make sure the board is insulted and try booting it.

Hey. I would look in the manual long and hard, then look on your board for any "jumpers" very small tabs that are on two prongs with one left empty. It's possible the person assembling your board miss placed the jumper & your bios is off. It's happened to me on someones build b4

As an aside, the GS800 really was a poor buy anyway considering that A) you don't need that much power, B) You could get significantly higher quality PSUs that cost the same as the GS800, and C) that PSU still wouldn't have been suitable for a setup that actually needs that much power due to its quality.

Oh trust me I know. I personally didn't pick out this unit. I wanted the Seasonic X650 and gave some my money and list to my dad for black friday since I was out of the country at the time. The GS800 was apparently $30 cheaper and he figured the bigger number would make me happy. It made me even happier he tossed the receipt. Was expecting modular instead got a button that can change what color I want the LED to be -.- Lame PSU aside anything I could look/test for for a possible faulty motherboard and/or CPU?

Plug a fan onto the PSU and see if it starts when doing the paperclip test.

So I decided to just do the paper clip test. The fan runs for about 1 sec but the LED stays on. I tried hooking the 3 case fans in my HAF mid tower and with the paperclip test they run fine but the PSU fan stops despite the LED staying on. Then I added the WD HD and I can hear it spinning just fine along with the fans running fine, but still the PSU fan doesn't run.

Did that. Sorry I semi formatted my OP I realized how much of an eyesore it was and probably how hard it was to see the details of it lol

Hey. I would look in the manual long and hard, then look on your board for any "jumpers" very small tabs that are on two prongs with one left empty. It's possible the person assembling your board miss placed the jumper & your bios is off. It's happened to me on someones build b4

In the manual it only mentioned the CMOS jumper. Could this be the culprit?

Yeah swear at it a lot, usually helps me.

Lol any specific phrases I should be using to get this to work because I think I've almost exhausted this option before it was recommended

Last edited:
Do a barebones bench test as noted in the stickied "Basic Troubleshooting Guide":
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1349426

I tried everything on there except I don't have a buzzer for the beeps or used a multimeter yet. But as far as I can tell with everything connected nothing stays on for more than 1 second that's including the LED unlike with the paperclip test where the LED stays on and the fans stay on.

So the problem I assume is my awesome PSU can't handle a full load? I'll try to get a hold of another PSU asap. I hope there's no short caused by the mobo either

So the problem I assume is my awesome PSU can't handle a full load? I'll try to get a hold of another PSU asap. I hope there's no short caused by the mobo either

I wouldn't say awesome or problem but getting another PSU either confirms your current PSU is the problem or not. That's the nature of troubleshooting hardware: Sometimes you just have to start swapping out parts.

I just wanna give an update to my thread and the problem was I found bent pins on my board. In the process of getting an RMA for that :D

Back