new build won't boot

goodgod

Weaksauce
I'm building a new computer for some friend. Everything was fine, until the time to boot came. Basically, the screen doesn't show anything, like if the screen was in sleep mode or w/e.

Specs: 2gb corsair ddr2 xms 667 // e2140 @ 1.6 ghz // 250gb wd sata hdd // EVGA Nforce E-7050/610I LGA775 mATx // Antec Earthwatts 430W Power Supply // dvd-rw

I first thought it was a onboard VGA problem or something like that. I had a spare 8400 pci-e and i plugged it in... Same problem. I tried booting with only 1gb of ram, plugged in either of the two slots, didnt work. I tried switching the hard drive (i don't think its the problem tho), same problem. The PSU seems fine, because everything is powered up, the hdd is working and the dvd can be opened.

My guess is the mobo is deffective... but I need experts opinion. Thanks for your input

EDIT: I tried testing with two VGA native screens, a phillips 17" CRT and an old generic brand CRT, both didnt work.

Clear the CMOS/reset the BIOS and try again with only one stick of ram, the processor and HSF, and video card. Remove everything else not required for the PC to post. I would disconnect any case connectors like USB, fire wire, Mic/headphone jacks etc to make sure you don't have a short. If it still won't post swap the ram and or try it in another slot.

If clearing the CMOS doesnt work, I'd re-seat the CPU. Do any fans spin at all?

/*------------- <cut n paste> -------------*/
If you have both the 20/24 pin main ATX connector plugged in, AND the 4-Pin (or 8-pin) ATX12V P4 CPU connector plugged in, then the board should boot fine (unless it requires more power connectors from the PSU). You could try clearing the CMOS.

You could test the PSU. Jump start it (on the main atx connector, short the green wire with any black wire, using a paperclip), and see if it stays on. If not, then its probably a faulty PSU. If it works then you can proceed with the suggestions below. ***NOTE: The paperclip trick is a simple test for those that do not have PSU testers, multimeters, nor a spare PSU to test with. It is not a 100% conclusive test of the PSU.

Setup everything outside of the case, with the mobo on top of its cardboard box. Plug in only the essentials:
- PSU (namely: main 20/24-pin ATX connector and 4-pin ATX12V P4 CPU Connector)
- CPU w/ HSF
- Single stick of ram
- Videocard if there is no onboard video (along with its power connector, if it has one)
- Monitor
- Keyboard
- System speaker/buzzer

* Use a screwdriver if your board doesnt have an onboard power switch. Jump the two power switch leads to turn the power on.

If it won't post, try different RAM slots. If it still won't post, pull out the ram (so no ram in the system) and listen for error beeps. If none, pull the vidcard and listen for error beeps. If none, re-seat the CPU and HSF, then try again. Report back with results if you're still having issues.
/*------------- </cut n paste> -------------*/

If clearing the CMOS doesnt work, I'd re-seat the CPU. Do any fans spin at all?

Yeah, everything seems to be fine, except I don't have any monitor image. The fans are spinning, the hdd is spinning, the dvd is opening fine, etc.

I'll make the proposed tests and come back with the results before 7 pm. I hope I can fix this without returning the motherboard or anything :mad:

I tested the following:

The PSU alone, jumped..............................the PSU runs fine
Bios/cmos clear (with the jumper, than with removing the battery)

Then, I tested those combinations:
1stick of ram (let's call it A, one of my two gigs of corsair xms) in slot 1+ CPU.............no screen image
1stick of ram (let's call it B, one of my two gigs of corsair xms) in slot 1+ CPU... same
1stick of ram A in slot 2+ CPU... same
1stick of ram B in slot 2+ CPU... same
1stick of ram C (spare crucial ballistix) in slot 1+ CPU... same
1stick of ram C in slot 2+ CPU... same
1stick of ram A in slot 1+ CPU+GPU (8400gs)... same
1stick of ram B in slot 1+ CPU+GPU... same
1stick of ram A in slot 2+ CPU+GPU... same
1stick of ram B in slot 2+ CPU+GPU... same
1stick of ram C in slot 1+ CPU+GPU... same
1stick of ram C in slot 2+ CPU+GPU... same
1stick of ram C in slot 1+ CPU+GPU+ different screen (I already tested two vga native screens, so this time i used the samsung 931c dvi)... same
1stick of ram C in slot 2+ CPU+GPU+ different screen... same

I tried without ram everytime....but after some research it seems that this mobo's speaker plug is broken or just doesnt work. So I never got any beep....damn. I did reseat the cpu several times.

My guess is the mobo is just defective.

Any input on more tests to do???

Thanks alot.

I suspect your board, too.

I think you need to upgrade your PSU. Just my 2cents.

I disagree. Thats a Seasonic-built PSU with heavy power on the +12V rail. So, unless that PSU is defective or he's using, or plans on using, more hardware than previously listed, theres no real reason to upgrade it, IMO.

Specs: 2gb corsair ddr2 xms 667 // e2140 @ 1.6 ghz // 250gb wd sata hdd // EVGA Nforce E-7050/610I LGA775 mATx // Antec Earthwatts 430W Power Supply // dvd-rw

It doesnt even have a discreet vidcard, so that system won't even use 150W at idle. :rolleyes:

I'll buy a new motherboard tomorrow. If it still doesnt work, im going to kill this pc with a chainsaw.

fixed.

The evga board was defective. :mad:

I replaced it by the Asrock Conroe 1333-D667, and now it works good.

Except that the drivers on the cd won't work for ethernet and onboard video. I'll get the last ones on their website and everything should be fine.

I hope so... :(

glad you got it worked out. i would have gone for a different board, though, lol.

I heard it isnt bad... and for the cheap price...anyways, it's not for me ;)

the drivers are good now btw :)

Back